IGNORED

Motorcycle Ins.

Billet

About 5 yrs ago I checked with Geico anout my 1100 V-Star. At that time they wanted $1200 a year for fulll coverage. I questioned the high rate and they said it was the way they had to do business in Ky. I'm sure that has changed by now but I have stayed with the company that does my cars and house. They keep me with GOOD coverage for about $550 for the RSV and a Nomad.

The coverage you purchase is another issue. One company can give you a quote but not include coverage for several items such as towing or roadsise service. Since we take long trips, trip interuption is another coverage that I have that I like. I go with a higher deductable figuring I can cover the small stuff myself. That helps a lot with the bottom line.

About Texas insurance companies. Several years ago I sold life and health insurance as well as did investments. Any company that was headquartered in Texas we stayed away from. At that time Texas had the loosest insurance laws around. The would deny claims for most anything. No point in paying premiums if they wont pay off:no-no-no:.

Just my 3 cents worth. (inflation you know):stirthepot:

Anyone living in an area where you have private insurance are lucky. Here in British Columbia we are forced to purchase our basic insurance from a government run (I say that somewhat loosely) insurance co. There is no competition for that and we all get raped because of it...in more ways than one. It costs me over $1000 a year just for a million third party, $500 deductible on fire & theft.

Call that crooked or what?... now check this out...this is more of their crookedness...

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=3960fd1c-9603-4039-88ec-3249be060923&k=50936

Here in Saskatchewan we also only have insurance supplied by the provincial gov't. I believe it costs $864 a year for mine, but I only insured for May to end of October for about $530.

ya, that's what I do too. I used to live in Alberta from 1984-1992. I had 3 vehicles there including a scoot (Goldwing at the time). Had them all insured thru one private ins co coz they gave discounts for multiple vehicles...it was real cheap at the time. Then I moved back to BC.... I'd sold the Goldwing and one of the other vehicles so only had one when I got to BC ... that one vehicle cost almost twice what all 3 cost in Alberta...what a rip off...and they're still doing it....and we can't do a thing about it.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're missing the real point.. The most common theme in all of the posts, is that the authors have found Geico to be the most competitive after shopping around. Regardless of where they live, or what they pay.....

I understand completely. And Geico wasn't a good choice for me. I was making my own point about choices and the irrelevance of other people's rates compared to our own. It's much more prudent to shop based on other's good or bad experiences rather than choose based on other's rates. I've seen a lot of posts in other threads that suggest that many people don't consider how rates are actually determined. If the information is not helpful to you, fell free to move along.

I've seen a lot of posts in other threads that suggest that many people don't consider how rates are actually determined. If the information is not helpful to you, fell free to move along.

Hey, it's your opiniion. I think folks are a lot smarter than you give them credit, and I'm not moving, unless you feel I don't have a right to be here.....

Giving each other rates that we pay is completely irrelevant. Insurance rates are some of the most individualized items on the market. You have to consider age, marital status, driving history, credit rating, state of residence, city of residence, type of residence, prior claim history, on and on. Many companies do not want to cover motorcycles, hence the outrageous rates. Even specialized companies like Progressive will vary the rates 'wildly' from state to state. For instance, they are extremely difficult to beat in Ohio, but they are also based here. So for one person to say 'I pay this much', has nothing to do with what someone else might pay. All we can really do is shop around with the major carriers and see what our individual rates are. Unfortunately for many, it has nothing to do with what anyone else pays.

Jeez,

I just about posted a very similar thing. I have been watching threads to do with motorcyle ins here and on the venturers for several years, and the one thing that I noticed is that it's who you are, where you live and all of the other things that Mcbrush mentioned. The rates from the same company that I have might be several hundred dollars more somewhere else.

After reading some of these, I'm just glad that I'm here.

But, I wanted to thank Mcbrush for the tip about Markel ins. They are just east of me and have better rates, same coverage as progressive, who I'm with now.

I guess that it's just a matter of which bunch of thugs that you want to give your money to.

Thanks,

Steve

I have pretty much the max full coverage I can get with Progressive on my 1999 RSV. They just dropped my rates to $460 this year. I am going to call them and see if there is anything left that I can increase or add. Can't have too much coverage.

:usa::biker::checkeredflag: