IGNORED

part bike or rebuild?

tntviper1

so i was looking on craigslist for parts here in the mitten, found a bike that owner says needs to just be put back together. $500

1983 XVZ12 same as mine, talked a bit and his wife wants it gone, so now price is $350.

so i will get it but do you think sight un seen i should part it out or re build it and sell?

what parts would you keep as just in case parts? one thing i may want is the dash as mine is from canada and is in kilometers

my 83 is running great, just want to clean stuff,

input from forum?

pics from ad

part bike 1.jpgpart bike 2.jpg

I always say rebuild.

Lots of parts off the bike but if you have those parts and can get it put together and make it run then do it.

Lots of help on this site...pay the $12 and join the family

These are great bikes and will give you many miles of smiles!

Even if you sell it you can probably get a lot more than you paid!

I always say rebuild.

Lots of parts off the bike but if you have those parts and can get it put together and make it run then do it.

Lots of help on this site...pay the $12 and join the family

These are great bikes and will give you many miles of smiles!

Even if you sell it you can probably get a lot more than you paid!

i have sent off cash today to be a full member, i love this forum

The first thing you need to do is to make sure the engine is not rusted and locked up due to airbox being off. I would take the small side cover off where the stator is and put a socket on it and see if the crank will rotate. You might want to pull the plugs first. And, you will most likely have the 2nd gear issue to deal with.

Randy

yes about second gear, that gets you coming and going on the 1200's. Any non runner you gotta figure 2nd gear is out. Then the value of any 1200 is dogged by the perception that 2nd gear is gonna go, making the bike scrap. My 2 cents. I bought, rode, and sold a 1200 that had a perfectly good second gear about a decade ago.

Not to be argumentative, but loss of second gear doesn't make the bike scrap. It just makes the purchase price more reasonable! I have an '84 that I ride frequently, go where I want, when I want, as fast as I want without second gear. But don't get me wrong, you can have a multitude of very expensive problems with a bike that hasn't been ridden for a long time. :2cents:

Not to be argumentative, but loss of second gear doesn't make the bike scrap. It just makes the purchase price more reasonable! I have an '84 that I ride frequently, go where I want, when I want, as fast as I want without second gear. But don't get me wrong, you can have a multitude of very expensive problems with a bike that hasn't been ridden for a long time.

Nah I'm not arguing sure anything can be fixed, but for me old bike's are just parts if you have to go into the engine. It's just that there are plenty that DON"T need that amount of extra work and $$$ sunk into them. It's bad enough doing brakes, brake lines, tires, fork seals, carb overhauls, battery, chasing electrical gremlins etc etc.

Nah I'm not arguing sure anything can be fixed, but for me old bike's are just parts if you have to go into the engine. It's just that there are plenty that DON"T need that amount of extra work and $$$ sunk into them. It's bad enough doing brakes, brake lines, tires, fork seals, carb overhauls, battery, chasing electrical gremlins etc etc.

For some it's a passion and so rewarding when you finally catch that gremlin and get rid of it. Hell today is the first time in months that I gathered my tools to put them up. Sure it is an old bike, but they don't make them like they used to... I see many newer bikes that are for parts.. That really don't even appeal to me. This Venture for some reason I just wouldn't and can't give up on.. if it were a different bike or scooter it would have went straight up to the front of my drive either for sale or to be hauled off! I guess it's therapeutic for me. It is not for everyone.

Twist the handle and move!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is to rebuild, and I guess that's why I ended up bringing it home. It's more like therapy for me to have a project like this to work on. There's something about taking each part and working on it to bring it back to like new condition. Then to assemble all of the parts, make it run for the first time again, and get it out into the wind is a great experience. Right now it's in storage, but shortly I will be starting on the project. We will be going right down to the frame and working our way back to a complete bike again. My goal is to have it back on the road by this time next year. We will see how it goes and I will post a pic of the finished project when done. I may even start a thread to show the progress over the winter and summer.

rsz_img_00301.jpg

My vote is to rebuild, and I guess that's why I ended up bringing it home. It's more like therapy for me to have a project like this to work on. There's something about taking each part and working on it to bring it back to like new condition. Then to assemble all of the parts, make it run for the first time again, and get it out into the wind is a great experience. Right now it's in storage, but shortly I will be starting on the project. We will be going right down to the frame and working our way back to a complete bike again. My goal is to have it back on the road by this time next year. We will see how it goes and I will post a pic of the finished project when done. I may even start a thread to show the progress over the winter and summer.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107563

I think that sounds cool. I would probably read up on your progress as you go. With pictures is even better. Maybe even make a couple of Videos.

yes about second gear, that gets you coming and going on the 1200's. Any non runner you gotta figure 2nd gear is out. Then the value of any 1200 is dogged by the perception that 2nd gear is gonna go, making the bike scrap. My 2 cents. I bought, rode, and sold a 1200 that had a perfectly good second gear about a decade ago.

No 2nd gear doesnt make em scrap - at least to some folks.. It always amazed me how durable and rideable they are even with no 2nd gear!! Just finished off wearing out my 5th - no second gear MK1!! A LOT of GREAT memories from those scrap scoots I tell ya!! Short shifting is a way of life around the Puc house:big-grin-emoticon:

Cant WAIT to follow the rebuild thread Johnny!!:thumbsup:

By the way = I LOVE those ol Blondes!!:thumbsup:

Since you are planning to tackle lots of things on the bike, the second gear issue really isn't that much more effort to fix. I bought mine without the second gear problem but tore it down enough to replace the split washer thingy with a new hardened one. The old one was pretty deeply worn but hadn't quite become a problem. Of course, the engine does have to come out of the frame to get it apart enough for this work. And you need to rig up a way to compress the big stiff spring that puts constant load on the washer. After all that, sticking in the new part takes only a second!

I guess you can ride without second gear, but why do it if you can simply fix the problem? It has been quite a few years, but I doubt that it took more than a couple of evenings work since the bike was already in pieces.

zag

The work is the fun, but if you plan to make money on it, or break even, then you are dreaming.

Just did total brakes, lines, masters, calipers, and tires and rear wheel bearings and valve covers, and rear clutch spline on an 85. Cost was well over $1000 just for parts. That didn't include swing arm, steering head, forks, carbs, front wheel bearings, fuse box, air filter, oil change.

Since you are planning to tackle lots of things on the bike, the second gear issue really isn't that much more effort to fix. I bought mine without the second gear problem but tore it down enough to replace the split washer thingy with a new hardened one. The old one was pretty deeply worn but hadn't quite become a problem. Of course, the engine does have to come out of the frame to get it apart enough for this work. And you need to rig up a way to compress the big stiff spring that puts constant load on the washer. After all that, sticking in the new part takes only a second!

I guess you can ride without second gear, but why do it if you can simply fix the problem? It has been quite a few years, but I doubt that it took more than a couple of evenings work since the bike was already in pieces.

zag

ZAG - definitely going to address the second gear issue, even if it doesn't have an issue now, I don't want one in the future. Thanks for the tip and it's on the list of work that needs to be done.

The work is the fun, but if you plan to make money on it, or break even, then you are dreaming.

Just did total brakes, lines, masters, calipers, and tires and rear wheel bearings and valve covers, and rear clutch spline on an 85. Cost was well over $1000 just for parts. That didn't include swing arm, steering head, forks, carbs, front wheel bearings, fuse box, air filter, oil change.

Marcarl - no plans on making any money, I'm in it for the fun of working on it. I consider myself a non profit organization. Haha!