IGNORED

First gen info

First, an introduction. Super new to the group, glad to see everybody with a common passion! I havent had a bike since I sold my last one (1982 Suzuki GS850L) 26 years ago, to pay for a diamond. Still got the same lady, but now an empty nest. That wonderful woman suggested I start riding again, aint she the greatest? Long story short, I now have a first gen Venture. Runs great, only 24,500 miles. First issue, it did not come with a manual. Found one on ebay, but it talks about options this bike doesn't have, such as radio and onboard compressor for suspension? Second issue is title. Came with clear title, stating it to be a 1986 model, hence 1300. VIN on frame matches title, with manufacture date of 11/85, but all badging and styling indicates the earlier version with removable bags and trunk. Any help out there? Am trying to figure out what the valve stem in the dash is for, just below handlebars and slightly to left side? Fuel gauge is also an issue. Fill it up, and it reads full. Ride 40 miles, it reads empty and the red warning light comes on. Takes less than a gallon to top it off then. Rode almost another 200 miles, and tank held nearly 5 gallons. Obviously not a vanishing fuel issue. Again, any help out there?

First, an introduction. Super new to the group, glad to see everybody with a common passion! I havent had a bike since I sold my last one (1982 Suzuki GS850L) 26 years ago, to pay for a diamond. Still got the same lady, but now an empty nest. That wonderful woman suggested I start riding again, aint she the greatest? Long story short, I now have a first gen Venture. Runs great, only 24,500 miles. First issue, it did not come with a manual. Found one on ebay, but it talks about options this bike doesn't have, such as radio and onboard compressor for suspension? Second issue is title. Came with clear title, stating it to be a 1986 model, hence 1300. VIN on frame matches title, with manufacture date of 11/85, but all badging and styling indicates the earlier version with removable bags and trunk. Any help out there? Am trying to figure out what the valve stem in the dash is for, just below handlebars and slightly to left side? Fuel gauge is also an issue. Fill it up, and it reads full. Ride 40 miles, it reads empty and the red warning light comes on. Takes less than a gallon to top it off then. Rode almost another 200 miles, and tank held nearly 5 gallons. Obviously not a vanishing fuel issue. Again, any help out there?

Welcome Barry.

From your description (no radio, no CLASS, "1986", "11/85") I am guessing you have yourself a 1986 CANADIAN Standard Venture. Yamaha USA never imported to the US a 1986 Standard Venture, however, Yamaha did send the 1986 Standard to Canada.

Removable saddlebags?! Removable trunk?! Hmm. Not sure about what to make of that. Unless someone changed out the rear subframe to allow 1983-1985 removable saddlebags on a 1986.

The VIN will tell all (well, at least how it was built from the factory).

It is also possible someone installed a 1986-1993 1300cc engine into an older frame. Confirm that the engine number (stamped into the crankcase over the middle gear) matches the frame number.

Physically check the VIN (both on the removable lower frame rail, [might have been replaced] and most importantly, confirm the VIN as stamped on the steering head frame.)

My educated guess is that the VIN is 1VE00xGA000xxx? A darker blueish colour?

Edited by Prairiehammer

This may not be relevant. But, in February of 1971, I bought a new 1971 CB350 Honda. However, the bike was actually a 1970. I think back then, Honda and maybe others titled their bikes based on the calendar rather than model. If you google 1971 Honda CB350 you will see the round looking gas tank , not the flat sided tank that mine had. If you google 1970 you will see one that looks like mine.

The valve you are looking at near the steering head is for the front forks. Don't go over doing it and blowing seals!! Nothing over 14 lbs. I never ran more than 7 in mine and once you stick around a while and do the Progressive springs no air is needed in front. AGAIN DON'T OVER AIR IT!!!

OK the schrader valve is to fill the front shocks with air on the Venture Standard (No CLASS). Only use a hand pump, do NOT use a compressor, you will blow the seals out!!!

OK very common problem with the gas gauge, your sender unit, located on the top of the tank and bolts on the top, is most likely screwed up. The rheostat is probably warped. Remove the sender unit, and behind a metal shield is the rheostat, it's slider is connected to the float. The rheostat winding is supposed to be flat but chances are yours is now bowed, You may or may not be able to fix it. Sender units still show up on Ebay but it is a crap shoot to find a good one. Study the unit, the tension of the slider is sort of adjustable via a phillips screw adjustment...

Welcome Barry.

From your description (no radio, no CLASS, "1986", "11/85") I am guessing you have yourself a 1986 CANADIAN Standard Venture. Yamaha USA never imported to the US a 1986 Standard Venture, however, Yamaha did send the 1986 Standard to Canada.

Removable saddlebags?! Removable trunk?! Hmm. Not sure about what to make of that. Unless someone changed out the rear subframe to allow 1983-1985 removable saddlebags on a 1986.

The VIN will tell all (well, at least how it was built from the factory).

It is also possible someone installed a 1986-1993 1300cc engine into an older frame. Confirm that the engine number (stamped into the crankcase over the middle gear) matches the frame number.

Physically check the VIN (both on the removable lower frame rail, [might have been replaced] and most importantly, confirm the VIN as stamped on the steering head frame.)

My educated guess is that the VIN is 1VE00xGA000xxx? A darker blueish colour?

Thanks Prairiehammer. You are correct about the color. Blue, kinda like lightly faded denim, with a lighter two-tone. All badging says XVZ12. Bags and trunk are removable, with notches in bags where they mount around turn signals. As far as finding the VIN, besides the one on the bottom frame rail, I don't know where to look, or what I might need to remove to find it. The VIN on the title, which matches the bottom, is JYA1NL000GA00081. Does that mean anything to you?

Thanks Prairiehammer. You are correct about the color. Blue, kinda like lightly faded denim, with a lighter two-tone. All badging says XVZ12. Bags and trunk are removable, with notches in bags where they mount around turn signals. As far as finding the VIN, besides the one on the bottom frame rail, I don't know where to look, or what I might need to remove to find it. The VIN on the title, which matches the bottom, is JYA1NL000GA00081. Does that mean anything to you?

Here you go.

http://www.cyclepedia.com/manuals/CPP-VIN/index.php

I got a 1982 Suzuki GS850L for sale...

Just sayin'...

Wish I could say I was interested. Strange to say, but I don't miss that bike, at least not like the Honda Trail50, Honda XR80, Yamaha 125 Enduro, Honda XT250, and Yamaha 500 I had before it. First, and ONLY real road trip I took with it, 400 miles out, and 400 back, was enough to drop it to the bottom of my list. 2-1/2 gallon tank at 40 mpg, makes for frequent fuel stops. And my 6'2" frame couldn't get comfortable for that long. Usually time erases the negative memories, and makes one wax nostalgic. That bike is my exception...

As far as finding the VIN, besides the one on the bottom frame rail, I don't know where to look, or what I might need to remove to find it. The VIN on the title, which matches the bottom, is JYA1NL000GA00081. Does that mean anything to you?

The partial VIN you have posted (there should be six digits in the serial number, e.g. "GA00081?") indicates that it is a Venture Royale (the "1NL"), a 1986 model (the "GA").

AND: :worthless:

As for locating the stamped VIN and engine number, see this pic:

VIN Location.jpg

Wish I could say I was interested. Strange to say, but I don't miss that bike, at least not like the Honda Trail50, Honda XR80, Yamaha 125 Enduro, Honda XT250, and Yamaha 500 I had before it. First, and ONLY real road trip I took with it, 400 miles out, and 400 back, was enough to drop it to the bottom of my list. 2-1/2 gallon tank at 40 mpg, makes for frequent fuel stops. And my 6'2" frame couldn't get comfortable for that long. Usually time erases the negative memories, and makes one wax nostalgic. That bike is my exception...

Just to keep the side line conversation going... The L is the red headed step child of the GS world. I've got mine set up with a Vetter fairing, GK Bag kit and a double bucket touring saddle. It's very comfortable but the limited fuel capacity is a major drawback.

The partial VIN you have posted (there should be six digits in the serial number, e.g. "GA00081?") indicates that it is a Venture Royale (the "1NL"), a 1986 model (the "GA").

AND: :worthless:

As for locating the stamped VIN and engine number, see this pic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107399[/ATTACH]

Well, I found the steering head VIN. It matches frame rail, JYA1NL000GA000801. I don't know how to attach pictures, or I would. Badge on side bags says "XVZ12", engine compartment cover says "Venture", and dash says "Venture XVZ12". Cosmetically it has every appearance of a 1983-85? But both VINs indicate 1986? And speedometer and odometer read in miles. Still scratching my head...

Well, I found the steering head VIN. It matches frame rail, JYA1NL000GA000801. I don't know how to attach pictures, or I would. Badge on side bags says "XVZ12", engine compartment cover says "Venture", and dash says "Venture XVZ12". Cosmetically it has every appearance of a 1983-85? But both VINs indicate 1986? And speedometer and odometer read in miles. Still scratching my head...

Does it have matching engine number (1NL 000801)?

What style are the anti-dives? Hydraulic or electric solenoid?

Does it have factory cruise control?

Is this the color?:

1984 Standard 3a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

He is referring to the issue with the rear shock mounting bracket on just the '83. It was redesigned for the model year '84 on up. The original was a weak design and would rust from the inside out and would break loose resulting in the rear shock suddenly becoming inoperative/detached at the top.