IGNORED

Help!!!!! - No Power

I am at a buddies place trying to help him out. He has a 99 RSV. Had his bike idling and all of a sudden it stopped. Now he has no power. No lights,,,, nothing. Checked battery and it is fully charged showing 12.9 volts. Disconnected ALL accessories. ZIP, NOTHING.

HELP! What should I be looking for???

Thanks

Thor (Greg)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I checked the fuses at that spot as well as the fuses behind the lower fairing on the right foot side of the bike. All good.

Is there 1 big main fuse?

What else? ARRRGG! Talk about frustrating.

You have to take off the left side passenger floorboard, there is a 30 amp main fuse behind there all by it's lonesome.

You have to take off the left side passenger floorboard, there is a 30 amp main fuse behind there all by it's lonesome.

Thanks a million FLB. That sucker is blown. Why the hell don't they tell you in the manual where that fuse is? Again. Thanks.

Now have to figure out why it blew.

Later buddy.

Thanks to everyone that replied. This is truly a great forum with a bunch of wonderful people.

One thing we noticed when putting the new fuse in and don't think it is normal.

When inserting the new fuse, there was a spark.

Is that normal?

One thing we noticed when putting the new fuse in and don't think it is normal.

When inserting the new fuse, there was a spark.

Is that normal?

A spark is normal because there is current being drawn to run the radio memory. Not a big one, but a "normal" one....Sorry I can't explain "normal" better...

Thanks again. You guys are great. Ride safe.

Did the fuse blow again as soon as you installed it?

Sometimes fuses just go stupid. With all the vibrations, it's not uncommon for a fuse to just pop with no reason. I see it a lot in semi's.

Did the fuse blow again as soon as you installed it?

Sometimes fuses just go stupid. With all the vibrations, it's not uncommon for a fuse to just pop with no reason. I see it a lot in semi's.

Sorry for the delay in replying. The fuse did not blow again. Everything is good now.

Thank you everyone for your help on this.

If the kill switch is not on, then check the main fuse. It is behind the plastic panel behind the passenger's left foot rest. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hey Goose. Sorry I didn't relpy. Saw your post and then tried to find the fuse. I mis-read your post and thought you meant to check behind the side cover, which I already did. And since my buddy has chrome panels (not plastic) behind the foot rest, it did not click in.

What I find really stupid is that the manual tells you about, and where all the 10 and 15 amp fuses are, but it does not tell you where the main fuse is. If it is in the manual, we couldn't find it. But then again, we were both frustrated with the problem and might have missed it. Also, his manual is in pieces. Maybe that page was missing.

Thanks again Goose

OK, a comment as to main fuse:

Being this is a 40 Amp fuse, It would be logical to assume that if you diid not find any other fuse blown, that there may have been an Intermittant dead short somplace on the bike.

However some other fuse should have also blown, if this was the case.

I think I would do a carefull eximanation of the entire bike looking for some damaged wireing, which might be anyplace on the bike.

I would start looking under the Seat, and possibly the gas tank.

Also, take a carefull look around the Steering head. Consider that when handlebars are move full left or right, there might be some wireing bundle, or cable that is being stretched, and some wire might be shorting to ground at some point.

Also, check carefully behind the headlight assembly.

Ask the owner, if anybody has been doing any work recently on the bike, and I would carefully check in that area.

Yes it does Boomer, all the G2's are the same

Thanks Squid ! I have a small notebook which I keep on the bike with the tool kit. Making notes of little things like this could make a big difference if something goes wrong on the road.

I have found a wealth of info and experience at this Forum....and for that I am very grateful!!

Regards to all and Ride Safe....Just like night a friend of mine doing a U-turn on his Harley hit sand and went down. The broken ankle will take at least 6 weeks to heal.....Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh.................

I am at a buddies place trying to help him out. He has a 99 RSV. Had his bike idling and all of a sudden it stopped. Now he has no power. No lights,,,, nothing. Checked battery and it is fully charged showing 12.9 volts. Disconnected ALL accessories. ZIP, NOTHING.

HELP! What should I be looking for???

Thanks

Thor (Greg)

I had the same problem last month... with the same vintage bike!

This is due to electrical connectors in the neiman... the only way is to change the keylock.

Of course that's expensive (270€), of course that's need to have 2 keys (because they only change the neiman, and not all 7 keyslock!).

I m really angry against Yamaha, but I love too much this bike...:detective:

(I m apologies for my spelling errors... I m from France :whistling: )

I had the same problem last month... with the same vintage bike!

This is due to electrical connectors in the neiman... the only way is to change the keylock.

Of course that's expensive (270€), of course that's need to have 2 keys (because they only change the neiman, and not all 7 keyslock!).

I m really angry against Yamaha, but I love too much this bike...:detective:

(I m apologies for my spelling errors... I m from France :whistling: )

Many people who have had to change the ignition out purchased key blanks and had one side cut for the ignition switch and the other cut for the saddlebag locks. From what I have read the lock only uses one side of the key. That way they only have to carry one key. Just a thought.

Many people who have had to change the ignition out purchased key blanks and had one side cut for the ignition switch and the other cut for the saddlebag locks. From what I have read the lock only uses one side of the key. That way they only have to carry one key. Just a thought.

:detective:... I will try this... :stirthepot: :)

THANKS4ALL!!!:080402gudl_prv: