IGNORED

Battery charger problems

gibvel

Well, for the last few days or so I've been trying to hook my BatteryMinder up to my battery. It kept blowing the fuse. Well, somewhere along the line I inadvertently installed a 3 amp fuse into the inline fuse holder. DUH!!! :doh: It's supposed to have a 15 amp fuse. Put a 15 amp fuse in and the charger acted normally... YEA!!!

Went out to start it to go to work this morning and BUZZZZZZZZZ, BUZZZZZZZZZZ. Like it was a dead freaking battery. Keep in mind that I've had the same battery in it, hooked up the same way for about 3 years now. Kept the Battery minder on it for the past 2 winters. I haven't changed anything. It worked fine yesterday too and from work.

If I didn't know better I would say that the battery minder discharged the stupid thing. all the lights on the battery minder were normal. No wrong polarity all the charging lights were working and the light that flashes on full charge was flashing this morning.

I have no idea what the heck is going on. :think: Anyone else have a similar experience?

Well, after sitting all day the voltage of the battery was 12.97 V. I think the battery is okay. The ground at the engine is tight and the connections to the battery are tight and look clean. They were a tad bit loose but tightening didn't help. I will remove and clean today.

I did notice that the headlight is dim compared to usual. So, it seems, that power is being lost somewhere. I'm assuming maybe at the starter relay, which is where, I assume, the positive cable connects as it leaves the battery. As you can tell I don't really know the electrical system too well but suspect I will be learning it better on this one. :)

Now that I look at the Partshark electrical diagram I see that the starter relay is indeed where it connects. How difficult is it to get to and what's the easiest way to get there.

Thanks for your help and patience. :)

Take the charged battery to the Auto parts store and have then test it. May not be putting out the amps needed. If that not it.

One thing that drove me nuts is that I had Goldwing with 12V at the ignition switch with a VOM but not enough amps passing at the main fuse, Use a head light to test the system back to ground and you might find a bad connection. Good luck

Mark, The question is, what is the battery voltage while cranking the starter? You may have a bad cell in your battery. Will show normal voltage until you put a load on it.

Guess that, pretty much nails it. The Battery was at 12.87, turn on the ignition, drops to 9.9 volts and then hit the starter switch and it went to 7.7 volts.

Guess that means I'll be buying a new battery, huh?

Thanks, guys!!

Corroded terminals can do the same thing with the voltage.

Check both ends of each battery cable.

I was looking for the other end of the positive cable. Where in the world does it connect. I can't figure out where it goes.

A little update. I cleaned the posts and connectors at the battery and the ground at the engine. Before I did that the relay would only buzz if you held the button down for a bit. since I cleaned it the voltage doesn't drop as far when I turn the ignition on and the relay buzzes very strongly all the time. I just need to find where the positive cable connects. Does that require taking the battery and battery tray out. I really think that it's probably that connection.

I hooked the battery back up to the Batteryminder (BTW it's a model 12248) and it's saying the battery is good and it charges it without a hitch. Don't know if that says anything for sure, just thought I'd mention that.

Edited by gibvel

I have question are you all talking about that little transformer you plug into wall or is it actually look like a car charger I bought a neat one from walmart it had a plug for permanent fixture on your battery, Cigarette Lighter, and Battery Clamps now here is another question does it hurt anything when I plug it into my cigarette lighter? Car Or Bike... its a 1.5 amp charger/maintainer.

I was looking for the other end of the positive cable. Where in the world does it connect. I can't figure out where it goes.

I believe what you are looking for is the starter solenoid. Pull the left side cover near the passenger footrest. To the rear of the fuel pump you will see it. It's a bear to get out and clean thoroughly but it a common point of corrosion. Check the connections on the main fuse which is part of it.

I believe what you are looking for is the starter solenoid. Pull the left side cover near the passenger footrest. To the rear of the fuel pump you will see it. It's a bear to get out and clean thoroughly but it a common point of corrosion. Check the connections on the main fuse which is part of it.

Found it figured out how to get there and clean the terminals, (which probably didn't need it), figured out how to get it back in, put the battery back in... same thing. Think I'll go with a new battery now.

Seems to me that, if your battery is putting out 12.8V then just turning the key in the ignition to start and the voltage drops to 10V then just goes lower (roughly 7V) when you crank it I'd say that's a good sign. Also, when you hold the starter button down and all it's doing is clicking and the clicking slows down quickly then I'd say the battery is bad.

I'll probably go have it tested though but think it's the battery.

UPDATE: Went over to NAPA... Dead battery!! 1, count em' 1 CCA. :banana:

Edited by gibvel
update