IGNORED

Bell Mag 9 Helmet. Anybody using one? If so do you like it?

Midnight

Thinking of buying some new helmets. Currently have HJC- AC3 which are 8 years old. Have the basic J and M Headsets as well. Both have functioned well but are getting dated.

I have tried the Bell Mag 9 on and like it but haven't rode with it on yet.. I'm wondering if anyone else has this helmet and what their experience is? Good and Bad?

• A few reviews I have read indicate they are a bit noisy???
  • Also wondering if anyone has fitted them with a JM headset?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks Jim

I bought 2 of them last October from J&P. I didnt want red, but for some reason those were $99 and the others were more, so red it is. Actually got the Mag9 made for SENA SMH 10 bluetooth rigs which I had bought a month or so before that. Previous helmets were Mag 8. Now I dont know if its because my Mag 8 was well broken in or the 9 is made tighter, but it defiantly is a tighter fit IMOP. I can not wear my fit over sunglasses or my Costa's in that hat. But the flip side is you have the drop down sun-shield. I do not think it is any noiser than the Mag 8 or probably any other 3/4 I have worn. It's not as noisy as my 1/2, does that help?

They and other helmet manufactures boast about vents, airflow etc. HOGWASH I dont feel no air moving around any helmet with that much coverage. Best I can do is wear a heat out helmet hat (or whatever they call it skull cap) from cycle gear. I would buy another as I have had good service out of my Bell helmets. I would maybe go a size larger. I dunno like I said earlier the fit is a bit tight. I keep waiting for it to "wear in".

Still on sale @ J&P $90 now for red.

I'm a Shoei man myself....they seem to be modelled after my head shape.

But I do like the Bell Mag 9 that was designed for the SENA SMH 10 bluetooth. I wish more helmets had Bluetooth and camera integration baked right in rather then all this after thought third-party accessory stuff I seem to be using that otherwise gets clamped or glued to my helmet which wasn't designed for it.

I bought my mag 9 specifically for the Bluetooth. The Sena unit works fine. I have music on my phone it's will play through the Bluetooth & sounds good. The helmet is alot more comfortable than my ac3 but that's my opinipn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hannah and I bought Mag 9's from Motorcycle Super Store when we were at the Louisville STAR-B-Q a year or so ago. I liked the style/look and they allowed us to use our SENA communicators. My head style is a bit more oval than round and the Mag 9 fits us both perfectly. At one time I had 5 helmets and everyone of them put pressure on my forehead that made rides over an hour or so uncomfortable. My recommendation is try the helmet (any brand) on and if possible wear it for at least a few minutes or an hour if possible.

Mag 9's run tighter than the Mag 8. I personally wish they would bring back the Mag 8. I do not own a 9. I do not like all the added stuff or the shape. Everyone I know that has one does not like them.

Rick, whats added that you dont like over the Mag 8? The 8 has a visor, clear face-shield. The 9 has same with addition of a built in sun-shield, which I really like and one of the reasons I was looking at them to start. I cant think of anything added. If your using a SENA it is a cleaner fit than bolting the unit to the side of your helmet.

Thanks everybody for weighing in.

I contacted Sierra Electronics as they sell the Bell Mag 9 and the JM audio systems. According to them the JM wired headsets will not fit on the Mag 9 only the SENA system. They indicated Bell is aware of this and plan on making some mods so the JM system will work.

I have not tried a wireless system and am unaware of a setup that will duplicate what I have now.

The JM wired system works so well with the venture and my Garmin Zumo 550/XM radio setup, along with the buddy rich cable and Mic mutes. Phone works well too.

I don't see how a wireless system can improve on it much. Unfortunately Garmin no longer makes a XM setup for their new Zumo's so when my 550 packs it in I will have to explore new options.

Has anyone had a similar setup to this and transitioned to wireless. Has it worked out?

Im pretty much positive Garmin has given up on Xm. The XM radio incorporated into the Zumo is a great feature for us. I transfer it to my truck and car when not on the bike. Only one plan that way. The Zumo 665 was the last one with XM I believe and it is discontinued. The new Zumos have Pandora or something like that which I suspect would chew through data on a phone plan. Also living in Canada not sure we could even get it.

I plan on nursing my zumo 550 along as long as possible. Garmin no longer refurbs them but there is a place n Minnesota that does. I have heard good things about them.

http://www.palmdr.com/cart/repair-services-gps-repairs-c-31_32.html

Wireless sounds great but has to integrate bluetooth wise with so many things. Intercom/music/GPS/phone.

I keep reading and asking questions. It all started with looking at a helmet replacement. LOL

Looks like the 665 LM has been discontinued but there are still some out there. If you do a Google search you will find them available. It does have XM. That is what I have but I know longer use XM and just stream everything from my phone. I should sell mine and get the new 595LM with the slightly larger screen.

I just looked at the old J&M set I have. I think the biggest problem might be getting those big ol speakers in that hat. Here is one I had in running until I got my Mag9. GMax gm675 This is similar AFX FX-50 same style with a sun visor. Just depends on what exactly your looking for. I like the visor and now that I have an inner sunshield I'm liking that as I dont have to have sunglasses.

I use the mag 9. Finally a lid that fits my big forehead. I always got a sore forehead with any other helmet I used. The flip down tinted visor works well for me. Clears my eye galasses easily. As previously stated. The Jand M headsets to fit due to the thickness of the speaker. I have found with the clear shield up all the way it touches the visor on top of the helmet and has caused 2 wear mark on the shield from the contact. Other than that very pleased with fit.