IGNORED

Savannah, GA

Royal Venturer

go to down town, bay street... head east, and you will see many old old buildings with lots of history..

Abercorn drive...you can pick up abercorn drive from Bay street and and you will see many little "circle" parks that you have to drive around half way to get to the next circle park..several parks are on this road.

Victory drive, many huge trees with hanging branches packed with moss hang over the street. If you stay on Victory Dr., you will run into the Atlantic Ocean..(about 18 mile east of Savannah)

Bay street.. very old cobble stone road, may shops, grab a beer and walk the street while watching ocean cargo ships bigger than you can imagine float by while people on the ship wave at you..

Broughton street, has many many many shops stores a woman dream come true.. NOTE: Keep ladies away from this street...$$$$$$$$$$$

Pick your poision:

http://www.savannah.com/

Guest JGorom

Go down to the river (forget what it's called?)...lots of shops (former dock warehouses along the river) and big boats (Ocean Freight liners) coming in and out to be loaded and unloaded (they are huge).

I remember that across the street from the shop area I just described you have the Blue Moon Brewery if you like some quality beer. Savannaha is easy to walk around in. We found a home-made Ice Cream parlor on one of the modern revitilized streets. Paula Dean's resturaunt is a must...ate there twice...prices are very reasonable but you sometimes have a wait to get in the door (no reservations)...do the buffet at lunch and you will be hooked. Best fried chicken we ever had, also try one of those cornbread pacakes they serve.

We stayed down by the river. Savannah is etremely easy to walk in the historic district. When we first arrived we went to the local museum...watched a movie...got maps...and found out that they even have a free trolly system (which we rode twice to get an idea of the city before venturing out on foot). They also have a free water taxi to take you across the river (SC) but I think we had to show something from our hotel to ride the water taxi free. Highly recommend the local museum where the free trolleys go. You can also pay for a tour of the city with some trolly companies...we did this as well before we ventured out.

Love that City...it's a great place to explore on foot if you want the exercise...many of the mansions take up an entire city block.

Go down to the river (forget what it's called?)...

It's called River Street. It is down below Bay Street right on the river. You can buy a T-shirt that says "I got river faced on sh*t street" there. Nice thing to have. Nice place to get river-faced too.

Don't forget that Savannah is one of the most Haunted Cities in the US. So take some tours and enjoy. Also while there you got to get at Uncle Bubba's (Paula Dean's uncle) and Lady & Sons (Paula Dean's). Have fun it is a nice area.

TheKid

Mrs Wilkes Boarding House is also a great place to eat down in the historical district, I think rivals Paula Dean's.

http://www.mrswilkes.com/

I'd recommend heeding the advice about River St, leave the bike parked up on Bay St and walk down it's not far. the large stones and trolley tracks are treacherous. The sights on River St are nice, large ships, shops, bars, and Ships of the Sea Museum is nearby.

http://shipsofthesea.org/

A liitle further east toward Tybee Island and the beaches is is Ft Pulaski, it dates back to precivil war.

http://www.nps.gov/fopu/

Lots of good replies here. Like they said be CAREFUL down by the river. There are some ramps that lead you down to the river front. DO NOT take them if they are damp. Wild ride thought I was going to take a dip in the river with the Venture. Scared the crap out of me.

Now besides all the sites to see there is some wonderful food in that area, can't remember the names of the places but just be daring.

Have fun, it's a great place.

Jerry

thank you all for your input...great stuff.

Got home from work, walk thru the garage and patted the mistress on the seat and said

"tomorrow girl...the fun starts".

Later on this evening went out to the garage, loaded the saddle bags, and checked the tire pressures. Saw something shiny on the rear tire...leaned in close...........hmmmmmm. tried to pick it with my finger.....metal....ohhhhhhhhh. got some needle nose pliers and pluck at it. Out came a 1 inch

staple........psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss,

the wife pulled up from work, jumped out and started to go on with excitement about this that and another...looking forward to tomorrow. "Honey......listen"

we aren't going anywhere....."but why not", "listen" ....she looked at me and said what's that noise. "That's our weekend going into the toilet". She turned and headed into the house...turning to say"dinner will be ready when your done pulling the tire off".

Pick up a copy of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". It is a story about folks in Savannah. There are tours there that point out the places of interest from the book. It is a good read also.

Good luck getting you tire fixed quickly. Ride safely and post pics. I love Savannah (My aunt lives there).

RR