IGNORED

Antennas

The stock antennas just unscrew from the mount. I replaced mine with these http://www.antennax.com/p-4729-2-eurostyle-13-inch-antenna-masts-harley-davidson.aspx

My CB doesn't work so I don't know if this new antenna will work on the CB but it works fine on the AM/FM. I had to turn some aluminium down in the lathe to make adaptors for the new antennas.

The stock antennas are a bit proprietary. The cable does not screw into the base on the CB but is soldered in. You have to unplug it from within the black box under the trunk. You can replace it all with aftermarket but it will require new bases, a couple of adapters for the cables and etc. Otherwise, you also have to buy new antennas from Yamaha (WAY TOO EXPENSIVE) or find some off a salvage bike. Pinwall sells a lot of salvage parts on Ebay.

I actually like the Firestik antennas better but like I said, it require new bases, adapters, etc. I am going to be changing mine over to the Firestiks soon. Would make you a deal on the OEM antennas on my '05 if you are interested.

Got tired of the long whips myself this spring and installed some "rubber ducky" type CB/am-fm antennas myself. Don't notice much difference in the am/fm reception and don't use the CB much anyway - Pic below. As Freebird mentioned, most antennas will need an adapter for the 3/8-24 thread they come with, the ones I got are here: http://www.bikemp3.com/FireStik-Quick-Disconnect-Antenna-Adaptor-FIR-K-1A8M.htm

IMG_0733.jpg

Edited by mirider

Most antennas will work fine with the reception on the AM/FM radio, the antenna for the CB is a bit different. Some antennas may work relatively well with the reception on the CB but unless the total antenna (cable and antenna) is the proper length, and is matched to the CB, transmitting will be poor and may actually be damaging to the CB radio itself.

You'll notice on the Venture CB antenna a larger black area about mid point of the antenna. This is center load where additional wire is wrapped inside in order to allow the antenna to be the proper length (10 meters, if I remember correctly). Other antennas, like Harley, have additional wire (load) under the removable panel in the saddlebag to allow their smaller antenna for the CB. The firestik antennas that many change over to has an adjustable tip to allow for tuning (matching) the antenna system to the radio with a SWR meter.

I hope the info helps in your process of changing the antennas!!

Dave

Daves right... 10 meters or 33' 127mhz if memory serves me correctly. The Fire Sticks used to have a tuna-able tip, but I haven't seen that type in a while now. 'Course I haven't been looking either... :) I think they are wrapped with the proper length antena wire and figure close is good enough. I wish they made a small auto-tuner like those used on a sailboat.. They'll tune a coat hanger to the right length. Anyway since the Fire Sticks are close that may be all you need to keep in touch with in a group. Unless you want to shoot skip. Then @GeorgeS can help a bunch.

I wish somebody made a nice short antenna that would screw right into the original spot and did not need to have some adaptor or modified piece to make it fit. If someone knows this exists, chime in.

There may be something out there but I never found it with extensive research on-line. Would love to know the answer to your question too. Most aftermarket units have a 3/8-24 thread and I think the Yamaha mount is 8 mm thread if I remember right.

Edited by mirider

Daves right... 10 meters

Yes, that is correct for a full wave antenna. A half wave would be 5 meters, and a quarter wave would be 2.5 meters or around 8 feet! The "loading coil" actually makes up for some of the distance of the antenna by being a coiled up piece of the wire instead of a straight piece of wire. They are generally placed in the middle of the antenna, with the top half being adjustable to "tune" the length for a perfect electrical match of the wavelength of the broadcasted signal. Wavelength is inversely proportional to the frequency. The higher the frequency (Hz) the shorter the wavelength...

Us HAM Radio operators used to have the rights to the old 10 meter band before the government took it away from us for the new "Citizen's Band" radio. Originally there was 19 channels, but due to the popularity of CB they expanded it to 40 channels. I used to have a Heathkit "Apache" ham radio transmitter that was made pre CB era and had the 10 meter band as part of it's transmitting capabilities! Those "Apache's" became very sought after by illegal CB'ers as they put out over 200 watts of transmitting power instead of the legal 5 watts!