IGNORED

Dumping Coolant

Always like to ask the experts before starting.

89 VR out for a ride today, started missing only when starting from a dead stop. Once over 2000 rpms no miss. Did not happen under load in any other gear. Stopped at the store and started dumping coolant. I noted the fan was not running when the engine was stopped. Rode home noted coolant trail down the driveway and again dumped more coolant. This time the fan was running when the engine was stopped.

Air temp in the high 80s, temperature gauge never went past halfway and has always worked. Coolant level was checked two days ago and was good.

Will have time to look at it later tonight, just looking for ideas where to start. Thanks for looking and offering suggestions, you all are the BEST!!

First make sure you didn't overfill the coolant bottle, or it will dump when hot.

If the bottle is less than 1\2 then there is a possibility that you have a blown head gasket. Check for oil in the coolant, it will be floating on top. Check for air in the coolant, it will bubble up while running. Check for coolant in the oil, it will show up as a foamy substance.

If none of the above issue are present, then I would suggest you go for another run and see if it's still happening or continues to happen. No need to fill the coolant, please don't, just ride to get it warm and see what happens. If the condition is no longer present, it's a good chance you overfilled it.

Another thought is the coolant system has a bypass valve in the very front of the engine down low. Take off the 4 screws holding the lower air dam and there you will find the valve. The hose to that and the valve both can leak when hot. Mine used to leak occasionally when I went from 3K feet altitude here in GV to 1300 feet in Phoenix...the next morning I would have a puddle directly under the valve. I bought the little kit to solve that problem from a member here but never have installed it as the leaks have stopped!

Go figure.

Thanks all. Saw no oil in coolant no coolant in oil started back up and found a leak in coolant hose just.above where it enters the engine. Now to figure out how to replace it. Again this is a great site with outstanding people helping others.

Check your radiator cap. I was having problems with my 89 "boiling" after parking. One day I stopped during a prayer ride with Full Throttle and mine dumped all over the pavement. I switched caps with my 87 and the boiling stopped, the temps run lower on the temp gauge, and I have not had any other issues. I plan on ordering a new cap from Boats.net for $23.87

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-26H-12462-00-00.html

For a radiator cap you can use these also... Radiator cap Stant 11227 or 227. (It has a spec.of 13lbs pressure) Autozone cap CST 7513

Here is some information I have gathered over the years on replacement hoses... I cant attest to if these work but it might be a starting point..

Front Cylinder Gates # 11601 /Napa

-Rear Cylinder Gates # 09821 /NAPA

-Upper rad. hose Gates # 8722/NAPA

-S hose under the rad. Gates # 20521 /Napa 7333

If you do use any of these hoses, let us know how it goes..

Thanks

Rick F.