IGNORED

Why is my 1997 RSTC faster than my 02 RSV Midnight???

Been riding the 1998 for 2 days now and whipping on it pretty good. It's all stripped down has no windshield no faring et cetera and it feels awfully fast. I thought it was just the lack of windshield. I raced my old Roadstar which was slightly modified and pulled on him even more than I did when I raced him a few weeks ago on my midnight venture. He commented what you have done to that thing? I have no idea how and apparently bone-stock 75 horsepower small carb 1300 can outrun a 98 horsepower bigger carb 1300 hat also had Barons 424 Nasty Boys exhaust, Ivans jet kit, and K &N filters and a lot less miles? I know that since I strip down the 98 it's a little bit lighter than the Venture but there can't be more than a hundred pounds difference I would imagine. And as far as I can tell the 98 is bone stock down to the exhaust and stock air filters.

I am very happy with this RSTC but can't figure out why it's so damn fast. Any input?

I would suspect the changes (Barons 424 Nasty Boys exhaust, Ivans jet kit, and K &N filters) slowed it down.

Those are all proven mods and installed by a very good mechanic why would you think those particular mods slowed down the RSV?

Looks like you have the stock 28mm carbs. If you REALLY want to wake up the beast, do the 32mm carb swap that Pegscraper back in 2006, or so, posted on this site There is an airbox mod on the ISRA site called the Bigfoot mod. I did it in conjunction with the 32mm carb swap and the results are amazing, with very little loss of gas milage.

Looks like you have the stock 28mm carbs. If you REALLY want to wake up the beast, do the 32mm carb swap that Pegscraper back in 2006, or so, posted on this site There is an airbox mod on the ISRA site called the Bigfoot mod. I did it in conjunction with the 32mm carb swap and the results are amazing, with very little loss of gas milage.

Are the carbs a direct swap? I an pretty happy with how it runs now just surprised it runs so hard. My 2002 Roadstar 1600 has Vance and hines pipes Longshots, 1700 CDI (500 rpm higher Rev limit) AIS removed but otherwise stock and in perfect running order with ALL recent maintenance and 16k miles. I pulled him like he was standing still from 2nd gear up...

My RSV ran perfect....synthetic fluids throughout, fresh plugs, clean K&N filters, no leaks anywhere, yamaha tech did the jet kit for me and it woke it up for sure. I am at a loss why my RSTC seems faster.....My RSV killed 103 cube Harleys routinely on the highway

Sad news is insurance totalled my RSV and against their policy to sell it back to me for liability issues. Good news is in should eventually get a big check.

How "aerodynamic" are the 2 racers/riders? I race my 5' 105lb daughter on our bone stock 1970's vintage Honda ct70's all the time and she always seems to beat me! :biker: My theory is she is just more "Aerodynamic" then me, which allows her to harness more of that 70cc's of pure power.......or I'm just fat and heavy...whichever.:crackup:

Horsepower to weight ratio's and wind resistance are huge factors on scoots - cars too really.. Strap a couple 50 pound bags of salt on the back of that sweetheart and give it try.. Another impact to "feeling" the HP has to do with how the scoot makes its power on a dyno.. I may be wrong on this but it seems like I read some place that the RSTC V-4 did not have balance shafts,, probably wrong but if I am right - balance shafts actually change the delivery and have a tendency to take the "snap" feel away.. Ever notice how quickly a modern MX bike will get it's R's? They hit hard! When I was racing dirt bikes years ago I would put flywheel weights on them to tame them down if I were woods racing (Enduro's) and remove them if hitting the track.. About the same horse power on a dyno but the delivery curve as totally different. Balance shafts have a similar effect as they are basically adding weight to the crank to balance it..

:think:Of course I could be totally wrong on ALL that,,,, I only say that because all the 83's I have had have been faster than any of the other year Ventures I know of and they are only 90 HP, are fully fairinged, bagged, have balanced motors AND, loading em down and riding two up dont seem to slow em down a bit!:think::crackup: