IGNORED

1984 royale back to life (hopefully)

this site is a wealth of knowledge, glad i found it. Short story, got bike over 10yrs ago, rode 3 uneventful years, parked it. 5 years ago had carbs rebuilt, had a bad miss in it changed jobs put bike on back burner. started working on it about a month ago thought i was gonna have to do some major stuff to it, (thought started was dead) on a whim sprayed starting fluid in it and it fired up but still had miss.researched on here and found the problem, plug from pick-up coil had a bad wire, fixed. poured some gas in carbs from a bottle and it ran no miss but had to keep feed it from the bottle. pulled the drain screws and they was dry, sprayed carb cleaner in and got some rust.rust in carb.jpg so gonna clean them and put them back on hopefully this week.

Good on ya Digger!!! Remove the bags, remove the seat, pull the sending unit from top of fuel tank, look inside tank with flashlight and mirror for rust stalagtites - dont be fooled into thinking a filter can keep rust out of carbs (wont work - carbs will go south at worst time possible if you trust a filter to remove rust) - either coat tank with Red Kote or find different tank if tank is rusty. Check tank before sending fuel thru pump and into freshly cleaned carbs.

All the very best in making it go!!

Puc

...and red Kote the tank after putting about 10 lbs of galvanized roofing nails in the tank and shake and shake and shake and still shake some more to scratch all the rust off the inside walls!

Hey thanks for the idea. I am restoring a 1960 GMC Suburban and tried cleaning the inside of the fuel tank using rocks ( gravel). :doh: Still trying to get the stupid rocks out. Once I succeed with the rock removal, I am trying the nail thing using a magnet to get those suckers out afterwards ! :happy65:

• 2 weeks later...

I too am reincarnating one of these jewels. A 1986 with just under 40,000 miles. Did not start very well and puked, backfired and ran generally crappy. Put in a new battery to cure the starting issue and now it runs fantastic! Now to fix the rear brake and new tires......