IGNORED

My new toy for the shop! 400lbs of Historic Welder goodness!

VanRiver

Bought a new toy today....well actually an old toy. 400lbs of pure historic Lincoln Welder goodness. Thank heavens my Tractor and front-end loader had enough uummfff to lift it out of the trailer and get it into my Garage!

She isn't very pretty, but once I'm done with "Ol Sparky" I think she will shine, buzz, and burn rods like the day she left the factory (I'm still trying to figure out what years she is from).

Thought I would share thinking there are some welders on the forum that might appreciate this classic as well. I hear that these Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC welders are bullet proof....hope so.

I personally have a weakness for shop tools that are older then me, weigh more then me, require a power cord that is 2 inches thick, and are made by the best skilled hands and minds that the USA and Canada had to offer back in the day. When Men were Men and Steel was Steel! This welder fit the bill, so I had to buy it.

Now I just need to learn how to Arc Weld (Minor detail):banana:! (I'm just a lonely MIG guy that can barely run a bead....wish me luck!)

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

I knew a guy (Al Boone) back in the 80's at Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah, Ga., who claimed he could weld a feather on a ducks "arse" , and not burn it! :confused24:

Hope one day you can do the same with your new toy. :fingers crossed:

There are just some jobs that are best done with a good old stick welder. But I must admit that it only took me a week after I bought my mig to sell off that old buzz box. There have been a few times I have missed it, like when one of those jobs comes up where a stick is the best choice.

Nice find.

If you like BIG old tools you would like my basement...............

I've used one of those. practiced welding for a day with it then took the test. Manny moon ago........ passed all but one. should have started it with a new stick replaced it half way through.

If you like BIG old tools you would like my basement...............

Yes I have read some of your past posts and your tool collection sounds epic! It is one thing to own the tools, it is a completely different thing to know how to use them proficiently.....and Jeff it sure sounds like you have got both sides covered. I'm just learning..more money then brains I've been told. I unfortunately have the soft buttery hands of a "White collar guy" but long to be a man of the trades with skills to fix, build, and create.....a boy can dream!

Would love to see some pic's of your "Big old tools"! Sorry that statement didn't come out right, and sounds kinda dirty....you know what I mean. :rotf:

That looks an awful lot like the welder my dad used. If he had a pine dowel he could weld the branches back on the tree.

The biggest hurdle for those machines is using the right rods. They have to be in good shape, and it doesn't hurt to put them in an oven for a while before you use them.

Have fun with it!

Yes I have read some of your past posts and your tool collection sounds epic! It is one thing to own the tools, it is a completely different thing to know how to use them proficiently.....and Jeff it sure sounds like you have got both sides covered. I'm just learning..more money then brains I've been told. I unfortunately have the soft buttery hands of a "White collar guy" but long to be a man of the trades with skills to fix, build, and create.....a boy can dream!

Would love to see some pic's of your "Big old tools"! Sorry that statement didn't come out right, and sounds kinda dirty....you know what I mean. :rotf:

Not to fear, I also have the soft buttery hands of a white collar guy. I make my living beating the hell out of a puter.:smash2:

The tools are for play. None will ever pay for themselves, but I have fun with them.

My basement looks like it was nuked right now. I have to do a lot of cleaning before I could take any pics that I would want to show. Basement cleaning is a winter job...............

But if you ever end up in the Milwaukee area, give me a shout.

I have a Lincoln 225 buzz box stick welder. I have not used it in like 20 years. When I was building race cars it got a work out. I found a good place to store my rods was an old ammo box. Fairly air tight so it kept rods dry.

I learnt on a old Hobart?? It went over 300 amps because I used to "run" 7013?? rods at 300. Had a lot of old guys tell me ya couldn't but if you were quick enough with that mild steel it looked as if it were made that way. And a very strong weld.

Since it it's an AC/DC power unit you can also TIG weld with it (not aluminium though) . You can also carbon arc cut with it but will need some accessories.

Once you learn to dial in your settings and not stick the rod to the work piece you will be able to make a nice pass with a bit of practice.

Nice find. This thing may dim the lights for a second.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk