IGNORED

Illuminated handlebar switches?

DblTrbl

• 2 years later...

Went for a ride on the SVTC last night, needed carrots. As if you need a reason, am I right? We arrived home after dark and I was a bit surprised that the handlebar controls were not backlit. I guess I grew used to that in the era I rode GL1500/1800 bikes. I can't see it being a problem, there are not too many switches to memorize but I was struggling to dim the high beams -- funny I could turn them on OK, only off being the minor issue. On the 'wings there always seemed to be a bulb out somewhere....

Ended up getting potatoes and mushrooms, and romaine, so that's good.

Kenno

The only switches I worry about when I ride at night are the headlight dimmer and turn signals the rest are secondary. The GW needs the switches lit up because there are more switches on a GW that in an airplane. :Laugh::Laugh:

This was my first thought; If you need lighted controls, get off the gold wing and ride your Venture!

All kidding aside.

It would be fairly easy to add a small LED aux lamp to the switch cluster on each bar but back lighting would be a challenge. I haven't seen any kind of after market controls for the Gen 1 bikes. But the Gen 2s were around a lot longer. There may be such a thing for them.

Back lighting them would be very tricky, not impossible just very tricky.

As mentioned you could rig up a small LED lamp to shine on them but would have to have it located so it did not also shine in your eyes.

Another option that might work if you have a steady hand and a very fine brush and a bit of artistic talent, is to paint over the lettering with glow in the dark paint.

My truck has all illuminated switches, but it not take real long driving it that my fingers just know where the switches are, My Venture does not have illuminated switches and fingers still know where they are. I do not look at switches on my bike or truck day or night.