IGNORED

Antenna

Wondering if anyone may have a used CB antenna for my 2006 RSV. While having lunch, someone snapped mine off. Priced a new one here in San Diego for 143.00. Maybe someone has upgraded and still has there old one. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks

I have one I would let go for the cost of shipping and anything else you think is fair. Just let me know. I work a lot and I live where shipping seems to be high. I will do my best to get it out quick, but no guarantee lol. And I will only know shipping after checking to your address.

P.S. I never used it, but I don't know how it could go bad.

Thank you. I would be willing to pay 40 dollars plus shipping if you think thats fair. Thats an offer anyway. I priced a new one at Yamahaha for 143.00 so that would definitely be appreciated. I am brand new to all this so let me know how we can arrange the transfer

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced one years ago, used Sierra electronics (http://www.sierra-mc.com/categories.asp?cat=144) the antenna they show is $45. There have been a few threads over the years on this, I will list some of the ones I found using this google search (replacement CB antenna site:venturerider.org)

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?49735-cb-antenna-replacement

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?72175-83-antenna-replacement

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?50710-CB-antenna

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?24775-CB-amp-radio-Antenna

I keep reading about the firestick mod but the marshal page is down... Does anyone have a copy of it?

The "Marshall Mod" (named for Marshall Gammon) is primarily intended as a modification to the First Gen Venture, where the single antenna is replaced with two antennae; one dedicated to CB, the other dedicated to AM/FM. The splitter on the First Gen is also eliminated when the Marshall Mod is employed.

There is no splitter on a Second Gen and the Second Gen already has two antennae, one for CB and one for AM/FM.

Sometimes people get confused about what the "Marshall Mod" actually is. Some think simply replacing the stock antennae with Firesticks is the "Marshall Mod".

Actually on the second gen....that is all it is. Replacing the stock antenna with the Firestiks.

No, Yamaha does not use a standard CB mount. You will need the antenna and the base mount as we'll as an adapter cable. The doc posted by Kevin shows the part numbers needed to install the Firestik. If you scroll to the end of that document, you will see that it covers the first gen and the second gen.

I'll just post it here. To replace only the CB antenna, you will need:

1 FL3B Firestik "Firefly" Antenna

1 203EZ - Fold Over Adapter Item: 203EZ

1 Stud Mount - #JBC930- Oversize

1 18" 18SMMPL Pre-made Coax Cable (CB)

To replace the AM/FM antenna also (If you want them to match. You will need:

1 AM/FM3-B Firestik AM/FM Antenna

1 128XMOTO29 RG-8X 12' Pre-made Coax Cable (AM/FM)

Now Marshall/s original article just calls for two of the FL3B CB antennas and I suppose it will work for AM/FM but you really don't need the CB antenna on the AM/FM side. . The AM/FM3-B is made to look like and match the CB antenna but is actually just wound with nylon cord. It is supposed to be a better choice for the AM/FM side. The cable listed for the AM/FM is one that will reach all the way from the antenna to inside the fairing. I didn't want to go to all that trouble when I did the '99 so on the AM/FM side, I just cut and spliced a new end onto the existing cable to plug into the new AM/FM antenna. I suppose though that replacing it all the way is the proper way to do it. Mine worked fine though. I never use the AM/FM anyway. Also, you can forgo the two 203EZ fold over adapters if you don't use a cover on your bike and don't need the antennas to fold.

Here is the Word document that Kevin uploaded in .pdf version for those of you who may not have Microsoft Office.

By the way, the Firestik AM/FM3-B antenna has been discontinued but they can still be found if you look around. Just do a Google search for it.

Marshall Mod .pdf

Edited by Freebird

No, Yamaha does not use a standard CB mount. You will need the antenna and the base mount as we'll as an adapter cable. The doc posted by Kevin shows the part numbers needed to install the Firestik. If you scroll to the end of that document, you will see that it covers the first gen and the second gen.

I'll just post it here. To replace only the CB antenna, you will need:

1 FL3B Firestik "Firefly" Antenna

1 18" 18SMMPL Pre-made Coax Cable (CB)

To replace the AM/FM antenna also (If you want them to match. You will need:

1 AM/FM3-B Firestik AM/FM Antenna

1 128XMOTO29 RG-8X 12' Pre-made Coax Cable (AM/FM)

Now Marshall/s original article just calls for two of the FL3B CB antennas and I suppose it will work for AM/FM but you really don't need the CB antenna on the AM/FM side. . The AM/FM3-B is made to look like and match the CB antenna but is actually just wound with nylon cord. It is supposed to be a better choice for the AM/FM side. The cable listed for the AM/FM is one that will reach all the way from the antenna to inside the fairing. I didn't want to go to all that trouble when I did the '99 so on the AM/FM side, I just cut and spliced a new end onto the existing cable to plug into the new AM/FM antenna. I suppose though that replacing it all the way is the proper way to do it. Mine worked fine though. I never use the AM/FM anyway. Also, you can forgo the two 203EZ fold over adapters if you don't use a cover on your bike and don't need the antennas to fold.

Here is the Word document that Kevin uploaded in .pdf version for those of you who may not have Microsoft Office.

By the way, the Firestik AM/FM3-B antenna has been discontinued but they can still be found if you look around. Just do a Google search for it.

That sir is perfect. Thank you. I will buy all the above but I am scared to pull the fairing...

Fairing is easy. Look for hints on this forum and tech area. Takes about 15 minutes taking time. And that's the key..take your time...lay out screws in order they come out so you have an easy time knowing what goes where. I laid mine out on table using left/right and up/down orientation... So i knew which screws went where.

Take top screws off first...then gently hold ends of plastic piece covering bottom of windshield... Push up gently with thumbs to release catch in center. There is a simple tab in center that holds center of piece on. Most of us break that tab taking off chrome piece... So far, I've been lucky! Oh.... Leave screws holding headlamp ring on for last... It will hold fairing until you are ready.....

You can do this... Just take your time.

I went with the 3ft super flexible antennas and the heavy duty antenna mounts from walcottradio. I also just used the crimp on pl259 for now until off season to replace the coax. Looks 10x cleaner!

excuse the organized mess in the background.

IMG_20160603_120708~3.jpg

Edited by Great adVENTURE