IGNORED

Unique ride

frankd

Yesterday Barb and I took an interesting journey. We accompanied a bicycle rider from Manchester TN. to Chattanooga down old Rte. 41. It's only about 72 miles, but it was rough on a 21 year old girl named Hannah. On her bike she also had all of her gear for a 13,000 mile trip around the United States. The trip down was very slow, Hannah could only maintain about 4-5 mph. on the steeper grades. This was made worse by the fact that one of her ankles was swollen due to a sprain, and caused her to pull over for a rest only 8 miles into her trip, and the ground was still flat. When we got on the steeper grades, she was going slower than the 1st. Gen. could go in first gear, so because traffic on Rte. 41 was so light that I could stop on the road (no pull offs) and let her keep on pedaling, and just catch up and do it all over again. I was happy I had a new battery, because by the time we got to Chattanooga the battery was getting pretty low. Of course the fan was running on all the grades, and I had to run the 4 way flashers quite a bit. The trip took 8 1/2 hours. The trip home only took about 75 minutes, and that was no where enough to completely re-charge the battery. Now I'm topping it up with a charger.

The reason for her trip was to gather funds to help fund several non-profit agencies that have shelters and programs to help young people that are victims of Human Trafficking. She had contacted our church, and asked to talk with us. A police man at our church did a background check on her, and she checked out, and then Barb and I volunteered to have her spend the night at our house. Her talk was very informative, and she told us that about 300,000 youngsters are sold in the U.S. every year. I was amazed that more boys than girls are sold, and I assumed that all were destined for sex trade. I was wrong......more are sold into manual labor than the sex trade. Some are sold by their parents, others are kidnapped and then sold. A lot of those we see pictures of on milk cartons have had this happen to them. You can find out more by going to http://www.facebook.com/revolutionoflove2016 and also http://www.RidingAgainstTraffic.org

The father in me had a hard time thinking about a 21 year old girl who doesn't know a lot of the ways of the world to be alone on her trip. Yes, I know that is what SHE wants to do, but I am a father after all. At the start, we only volunteered to host her for the night, but her face lit up when she saw the Venture, and Barb and I both thought that we'd ride with her until she got to Monteagle, the top of that grade. With her ankle being injured, and her GPS giving her fits, we easily decided that we'd just ride all the way to her next nights host with her.

When I asked her if she had hosts secured for every night, and she told me she has quite a few that she doesn't. I thought of us VentureRiders, and told her that if she contacted me a few days before one of those nights that I'd ask here and see if any of you would be kind enough to volunteer. Hopefully we can help her.

Thank you,

Frank

I did not see a route on the FB page or website but if she comes to Charleston Bobbi and I are game as host.

In my job we have to do human trafficking awareness training every year and it is shocking how widespread it is.

WOW - what a fantastic story Frank, THANK YOU for being there to help that young lady on her amazing mission!! Our thoughts and Prayers Up/Blessings Down for her as she travels across the country for such a worthy cause!! If her travels take her up into the west side of Michigan area and she needs a host please let us know.. Tip and I would be more than happy to open our hearts and home to her!! Having raised 3 girls of our own I KNOW first hand of what your saying about doing the fatherly thing Frank - can totally relate!!

Good on ya brother for being there for her!

Puc