When backing my new Venture with only 700 miles on it out of the garage tonight it was making a clicking sound coming from the back when rolling backwards, is this normal? Also thought I heard a little click click click when I was pulling back into the driveway tonight. Any thoughts??

I had the same issue after about 1500 miles on my 2007. My local dealer "Vickory Yahama" found that the rear axle was not properly greased. He said there is a Yahama service memo concerning this problem. I am not sure what they did to correct the issue, but I now have 8000 miles and no more clicking sound.:cool10:

I believe if you purchased your bike from a Yamaha dealer, they should be able to help.:080402gudl_prv:

Gene

Hi Stracat

The clicking sound is in the rear wheel like Gene-b stated before. It is the fingers on the center of the rear wheel that ride in gromets and connect your wheel and tire to your drive shaft. All that has to be done is remove the rear tire ,then remove a large snap ring,pull the fingers out of th gromet which might be hard to do but it does come out and clean with steel wool and grease them up good and reinstall. This should be done at each tire change also. If not you will start to hear th clicking sound again.

Hope this helped

Bikenut:080402gudl_prv:

Just a quick note of thanks to all, especially Brakepad who went above and beyond!

Took the bike in for first service and I'm lucky I have a good 5 star tech that knows his stuff, immediately he confirmed the problem and knew just what to do. Removed the rear wheel, lubed everything, put it all back together, loosened the four bolts on the hub, shimmed where appropriate and boom we back in business noise free.

Thanks again, you guideance is always appreciated!

:clap2:

I just spoke to the Service Manager at OhioMotorcycles in Hilliard, OH last evening. I told him about the clicking problem from the rear of my Venture. He IMMEDIATELY knew what I was talking about. He said - "Usually the pins need lubed or the hub needs aligned and torqued properly....my tech, John, just did one last week". I'm scheduled to get this service. It is common as everyone on here has reported. I think I found a good service guy.

Q. Can we still ride with this malady? I'm on the calendar for April 30 at the shop.

Tom Schoener

I just spoke to the Service Manager at OhioMotorcycles in Hilliard, OH last evening. I told him about the clicking problem from the rear of my Venture. He IMMEDIATELY knew what I was talking about. He said - "Usually the pins need lubed or the hub needs aligned and torqued properly....my tech, John, just did one last week". I'm scheduled to get this service. It is common as everyone on here has reported. I think I found a good service guy.

Q. Can we still ride with this malady? I'm on the calendar for April 30 at the shop.

Tom Schoener

I would never advise that anyone ride with a known problem, that being said, I dont believe that 2 weeks will do it depremental damage. Some have ridden for a lot longer until they actually found out what the problem actually was...you should be OK.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same clicking noise (see earlier posts). My bike came back from the shop - OhioMotorcycles in Hilliard - yesterday. It's now smooth and noise free. The Service Manager said the REAR HUB/WHEEL was out of alignment. He also stated it was the 4th one he has had to fix. Common problem. Easy solution (of course a day in the shop) under warranty.

Tom