IGNORED

VMax lines work to delink first Gen brakes?

While couch-racing (kinda like bench racing but on the couch with a tablet) I came across a Vmax front brake line splitter with all the banjo bolts for 10 bucks. It still has all the lines connected also. Being from an 01, the lines are 14 years newer than mine. When they arrived they look in great shape.

Being cold and deep snow between me and the shed, just wondering if anyone knows if the lines are long enough?

BTW, will be swapping R6 calipers at the same time.

Thanks

Please don't replace really really old brake lines with really old brake lines!

Yamaha gave brake lines a 4 year service life....even though every 4 years might be a tad on the conservative side, brake lines that are 4,5 or 6 times their service life is dangerous!

It's probably good advice not to reuse the older lines. As I understand it the stock lines just aren't made as well as the stainless ones.

You can use that splitter for sure though and it will probably look cleaner than just two long lines.

Just measure from it to each slave cylinder and then up to the master cylinder allowing enough slack for following the handlebar and other routing.

It'll cost just a little more for three lines instead of the two but it'll look good.

I think that the section from lower triple tree to master cylinder on the handlebar needs to be longer than the Vmax one would be.

These people treated me well even though I didn't order standard spec parts either:

http://www.pashnit.com/product/galfer_lines_cruiser.html#top

Kelly,

I think you can take advantage of the splitter if it will bolt to the bottom triple tree (looks like it might). But like has been suggested, I would use stainless lines, one from the master cylinder to the splitter and then two from the splitter to each caliper.

But Skydoc sells this entire set up which includes the V-Max splitter with all of the stainless lines:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=316&title=5-line-first-gen-ss-brake-line-delink-kit-with-upper-clutch-line&cat=17

And if you are looking for a set of R6 calipers I have an extra set. I screwed up and put 2 sets in my basket on Ebay for safekeeping and then bought all 4 calipers where I thought I was buying 1 set. And I've gone through them and cleaned the calipers and checked all of the pucks. But they didn't come with any of the pads and pins so you would need to order them and I have the part numbers. And I would let you have both of them for $45 for the pair plus shipping if you want them.

Hope this helps,

Rick

While couch-racing (kinda like bench racing but on the couch with a tablet) I came across a Vmax front brake line splitter with all the banjo bolts for 10 bucks. It still has all the lines connected also. Being from an 01, the lines are 14 years newer than mine. When they arrived they look in great shape.

Being cold and deep snow between me and the shed, just wondering if anyone knows if the lines are long enough?

BTW, will be swapping R6 calipers at the same time.

Thanks

Do the R6 calipers use the same type connection for the banjo fitting as the original calipers? I was thinking of installing R6 calipers on the front but didn't know if I would have to install new brake lines at the same time or if I could do it later.

Do the R6 calipers use the same type connection for the banjo fitting as the original calipers? I was thinking of installing R6 calipers on the front but didn't know if I would have to install new brake lines at the same time or if I could do it later.

Hi @Gdub - Yes they do, my R6's just bolted right on my 1986 Royale's using the existing brake lines and bolts (I used the Allen key bolts from the R6 just because they looked nicer then my old ones). Only thing is that the banjo bolt location on the R6's is on the side rather then top like the old calliper.......not a big deal as all the lines still fit, only thing is the Optional VentureLine chrome calliper covers I had no longer fit due to the side bolt location. Oh well, I like the "blue dot" look better of the R6's anyways.

Nice and simple upgrade. Here are a couple of pic's of my "Blue Dots". I have an extra set sitting on my bench ready to be cleaned and installed on "AZZI" my other Venture waiting for me in Arizona. Hope that helps!

IMG_5198.jpgIMG_5199.jpg

Edited by VanRiver

I'm going to differ here on the brakes lines as I've done it many times myself: if the lines are long enough and it good shape (IE: no cracking, dry rot, etc) go ahead and use 'em if you want to.

Swap 'em out for new or stainless when you get the chance or money.

I don't replace brake lines until they show me the signs they need to be done or I just want to switch to braided lines. Never have had a failure in my 40 odd years of riding/wrenching. Never seen or heard of one either.

Replacing with new is always a good idea if money allows, but older lines aren't automatically bad simply because they are old....

Thanks for that, man. I just asked if anyone knew if they would fit, and all I got was preaching. I would love to have the stainless hoses, but it ain't in this rednecks budget. Using parts that are 14 years newer is a step in the right direction. If I had the mentality of some of these guys, I would never ride this bike. A billion things could fail on any bike this old. Or a brand new one, for that matter. And before any of you other guys jump me, I specifically asked if they WOULD FIT, not if I SHOULD USE THEM.

I'm going to differ here on the brakes lines as I've done it many times myself: if the lines are long enough and it good shape (IE: no cracking, dry rot, etc) go ahead and use 'em if you want to.

Swap 'em out for new or stainless when you get the chance or money.

I don't replace brake lines until they show me the signs they need to be done or I just want to switch to braided lines. Never have had a failure in my 40 odd years of riding/wrenching. Never seen or heard of one either.

Replacing with new is always a good idea if money allows, but older lines aren't automatically bad simply because they are old....

A Vmax SHOULD have long enough lines. But I've never swapped a set or even measured.

You'll have to either try or measure to know.

As long as they are long enough to allow suspension travel without going taught a full extension, you're good.

If they are a little too long, they will work, but extra length may be a PITA to keep from moving about too much. You can always add another line clamp somewhere if needed.

My preference would be to find lines that are pretty much the right length but an inch or two long shoudl be manageable. Too short speaks for itself....

Thanks for that, man. I just asked if anyone knew if they would fit, and all I got was preaching. I would love to have the stainless hoses, but it ain't in this rednecks budget. Using parts that are 14 years newer is a step in the right direction. If I had the mentality of some of these guys, I would never ride this bike. A billion things could fail on any bike this old. Or a brand new one, for that matter. And before any of you other guys jump me, I specifically asked if they WOULD FIT, not if I SHOULD USE THEM.

Well soooorrryyy! Sheesh. You know it's a little grating to have you complain about getting responses that aren't exactly what you asked.

Aren't you a bit demanding. I won't bother to take the time myself next time around. Your user name seems well chosen.