IGNORED

Canadian winter - I had enough of you - I am riding my Venture to Mexico

jfman

Something just dawned me,,,:lightbulb:I have heard rumors that Canadian Ventures did have E-Clips on the Meter Rods.. No idea if its true or even where I heard that from BUT maybe,,, possibly :fingers-crossed-emo being a Canuck on a Canuck scoot you will be PLEASANTLY surprised when you pop the slides out of that puppy!!:fingers-crossed-emo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw that in your other thread! :)

Gonna look at this tomorrow. Do you know if I can pull all four diaphragm covers with the carbs in place!?

If my carbs have the notches... fonsidering the bike barely runs as is, how many notches should I go? 2? 3?

Thanks!

Yep,, all four will pop right off slicker than a whistle.. I dont run those lower fairings so I can easily get to stuff - if the lowers are still on you will have to pop em off to pop the covers.. Also, unless they have been worked on and a sane person put normal philips screws back in, there will be one little security screw in each cover.. If it were mine, I wouldnt even bother trying to find a security screw bit (Harbor Freight maybe),, instead I would take a punch and nock the little nipple off inside of the center of the screw and use an allen wrench to pull the screw..

Pop the covers, pull the spring, pull the slides, check for rips/pin holes, look inside slide, unscrew cover over Metering Rod, push the meter rods out and you will know instantly whether or not it has clips.. If it does and it looks like the notches are 1 mm apart I would drop em down 1 click to start with (1mm = .040).. If it looks like the are 1/2 mm apart I would go 2 clicks.. I ended up dropping mine 60 thou but I still think my orvices were oblonged... Make sense?

Dont forget to double check those diaphrams,, they will exactly what we are talking about too.. No idea if there is a Yamaha shop down there? If so and you can find a tube of Yama Bond #5 you are in business!! Using carb cleaner or brake cleaner (I like brake cleaner - less residue) - clean diaphram real well, let dry, smear of Yama Bond over tear/pin holes - not to heavy.. Let dry over night.. I have ran on Yama Bond fixed diaphrams for years.. HAS TO BE YAMA BOND #5 though!! Have tried TONS of other stuff and nothing works like Yama Bond 5!! Also, put the smear on the diaphram inside the cavity where the spring is - not facing the engine..

Check those diaphrams!!

All the best JF!!

Hmmm,, didnt really answer your ? clearly,, sorry bout that, NO - you do NOT have to pull carbs to remove slide covers :big-grin-emoticon:

Something else to check Jf,, pull the air box cover and make sure your air filter is clean..

I am going to look at the carbs after breakfast. I woke to yet another surprise. The rear shock has leaked out all over the ground under the bike. At least ai think its the shock. The swingarm is full of oil and the puddle is directly under the shock. I did 4 hours of roughish dirt roads yesterday. It was the coup de grace for this 31 year old shock.

Edited by jfman

My needles have notches - 5 of them. It was in the middle notch but I put the clip on the top notch.

I had not mentioned that I been riding without a airbox lid since McAllen Texas. Gonna put it back on.

Edited by jfman

Dunno in Colorado we pulled the lids from our dirt bikes in hith altitude and it nade things much better.

And it ran stronger after I pulled the lid.... And my mpgs had improved. It's Only when I reached 4000 ft or so did it start running very poorly.

Now - With the needles adjusted on the top notch, it seemes to run better throttling it up in the lot but the idle is still lumpy.

About to go for a test ride.

You may want to try the airbox lid back on before you move the needles as these carbs are somewhat self compensating for elevation changes.

Randy

Yeah, what Randy said. I've been all over North America, from below sea level to over 14,000 feet without a hiccup from the carbs. Probably diaphragms or a float.

Bikes runs sooooo much better with the clips on the top position on the needles. I can rev thru the range w/o breaking up. I tried it w/o lid and I also put the lid back on and all is well.

Idle a little slow and blurby.

Good enough :)

Diaphragms free of damage but no way I am messing with floats unless I have a trip ending problem.

I got some more pics coming for you guyz via way of Bert2006 which I cant thank enough for the service. Otherwise there would be no pics untill I get back.

Bikes runs sooooo much better with the clips on the top position on the needles. I can rev thru the range w/o breaking up. I tried it w/o lid and I also put the lid back on and all is well.

Diaphragms free of damage but no way I am messing with floats unless I have a trip ending problem.

I got some more pics coming for you guyz via way of Bert2006 which I cant thank enough for the service. Otherwise there would be no pics untill I get back.

Really good news JF - glad to hear your scoot is also a Canuck with the adjustable metering rods and,,, YOUR IDEA WORKED:guitarist 2::happy34:!! IMHO, Your idle blubber could very simply be a case of carbs being out of sync, no big deal for completing your adventure but, once again, if you happen to run into a Bandito with a set of gauges strapped to his steed you might beg a quick borrow of the guages and do sync.

YOU DID GOOD PONCHO - REAL GOOD!!

Enjoying the story and eagerly waiting more of your AWESOME pics my friend!! You are making us proud here,, ride on, ride safe, keep er running, dont take no wooden paso's and most of all - keep having fun and sharing it with your North American lop eared varmint buddies!!!:fingers-crossed-emo

Mierda (thats spanish for "Puc") :big-grin-emoticon:

And here a few of them. you are welcome jfman but I am having problems loading part of your last set. They keep going upside down or sideways. Will try to fix, but I think it starts if your phone is upside down or sideways when you take the shots.. :confused24:..

Edited by Bert2006

Ok, was able to fix the others. When they come in the email attachment, they show up straight, but then they load upside down or sideways for some reason. Have to rotate them and save them again to get them to show up right. Also, the VR site does not like big files, so I had to re-size one of them to fit.

Edited by Bert2006

Hello guyz,

I am in Oaxaca and headed east tomorrow to Chiapas.

the bike is doing well (no leaks in 3 days!) but I have clutch cylinder issues

when climbing mountain passes in traffic. When The engine runs a little bit hot(nowhere near red), the clutch wont fully disengage. The lever feels like mush and the bike keeps going when lever pulled. As soon as traffic opens up and I am able to ride above 50kmh, the lever action returns to normal.

So The bike is running good and I am pretty sure it will make it to Cancun(getting close) i have a lot of Mexicans who ask about the bike. They seem to like it. Most mexicans ride little city thumpers apart from a few shiny bmw gs I seen in city centers.

myself on the other hand could be a little better. i bought burgers from a street vendor and got very sick two days ago. Theeth clattering, re-enacting a scene for Ace ventura all night. Praying to the ceramic gods. I am over it but my whole body aches so its hard to ride right now. Every topes feels like that wreslting move from the step ladder. I also cant digest at all- takes 24hours to digest a meal. So I eat very little (i did buy a dominos pizza tonight)

l

of course i have a few pics coming yalls way

jfman

Running in high temps,, could be boiling your clutch fluid JF,, teeny tiny little air bubbles.. Experienced a little of that riding western US temps above 110 degrees.. Maybe try bleeding in some fresh fluid - pretty easy when riding an old scoot that you are just gonna ditch anyway.. You know how to bleed that system?

Also, any chance you may have ran the master low enough that it now has a little air in it? A tiny bit of air will cause a lot of grief.. If the master has been low level full and that little rubber boot inside the master was not reset properly so its being pulled down inside the master to keep fluid from sloshing around around its possible for air to get into the system when your banging the bike around off roading it.. You could pull the res cover and gently work the lever in and out - using about and 1/8th of the stroke of the lever - while you watch for tiny air bubbles.. It dont take much air JF - ANY tiny little bubble you get out will make a huge difference..

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning ailment brother!! They got Pepto Bismal down there? Might give it a try.. Hope you get your strength back and the rest of your trip is worthy!! Also,, THANK YOU for the awesome pics and great write up - been a BLAST following your journey!!

Puc

What a great thread this is. It is fun reading through your adventure , JF. It's too bad you got sick, hopefully that doesn't happen again. When you said you were leaving on this trip in March, I thought you were crazy. After seeing your early pictures and reading the conditions you were riding in, I am now certain of it!

Anyway, stay safe and keep the updates coming.

Dale.

I am camping (no es 100% legal) somewhere near Cancun(hotel prices are locos aqui). The old girl made it thru her last and probably fartest adventure. Parts of the ride were tough but I am very happy and at peace sitting on the bike sideways and glancing at the stars. It is my first night out with the tent and I love it. Nature is awesome. 26 celcius night with a very nice strong breeze coming from the sea.

I cant believe the ride is almost over and that I will have to part with the bike monday.

Highlight of the day was seeing a roadkill monkey on the side of the road about an hour or two north of Palenque. You will have to take my word for it because I did not stop for photos as it was a very unsafe spot to pull over.

Good night guyz

jfman

Edited by jfman