Canadian winter - I had enough of you - I am riding my Venture to Mexico

jfman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depending on where its leaking from Jf, the cover that goes over the water pump does have an o-ring seal on it - this would be a very easy repair job. The impellar, which you would find under the cover with the o-ring in it, is mounted to a small shaft that passes thru a mechanical seal and a regular oil seal on its way into the drive gear that drives the water pump. There should be a weep hole on the underside of the water pump casting that allows anti-freeze to escape if the mechanical seal fails (or a bearing goes south).. If the water is coming from that weep hole than its a little more involved because the water pump has to come all apart to fix it..

Most of these older bikes "weep" when they are cold from the hose connection area under the radiator where the little plastic hex head valve is located.. Usually they stop completely when they warm up.. It sounds to me like this is NOT your issue - your issue sounds more like a failing water pump mechanical seal.

Here is a link to the water pump diagram. The cover o-ring would be part #9 , the impellar mech seal is #8 ..

A common issue with mechanical impellar seal failure is that anti freeze can find its way into your engine oil - all it has to do is get beyond the oil seal that is the next seal in toward the engine on the shaft.. Have you noticed any "muddy" look to engine oil?

I had a water pump seal fail out in the middle of no where while playing in Utah one time.. I finished the trip up with all the way back to Michigan by running my rad cap loose - not advising you to try it BUT it did work.. Just running with the cap loose allowed enough pressure to be released that I lost a lot less water..

Another place to check very closely would be that plastic tube that feeds into the waterpump case. This would be part #21 on the diagram. That tube does have o-rings also and it is not uncommon for them to leak should the tube get bumped.. If it is leaking from that area, a little carb cleaner cleaning, scratch er up with some sand paper and spray again with carb cleaner - stop at a Walmart or an Auto parts store and purchase some "Seal All" before you start to clean it up.. Coat the tubing joint up with seal all real well before you hit the sack for a night and by the next morning you should be good to go...

Thinking first thing is to find out exactly where the water is coming from first thing Jf...

ooppsss,, almost forgot diagram

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042846f8700209bc788cdf/water-pump

Thanks ! Pretty sure I need to replace seals #22 but I guess since I am ditching the bike, I can patch it from the outside for a temp fix l like you said. No need to drain the whole system this way.

COOL - glad it's not a water pump!! Here is what I would suggest.. Find something to drain the anti freeze into, pick up a can of cheap carb cleaner and a sheet of medium grit sand paper, get some "Seal All" (comes in a Yellow Tube - Red Print) from Wally World or an Auto Parts store (good stuff and cheap). Get to a motel where the bike will sit over night. Pull plug #11 shown in the diagram - located under the water pump (also seen in attached pic) and drain the system - really best if you drain the system so the seal all has a chance to bond. After draining, wipe down area on both plastic tube and area where it slides into pump.. Sand the area - both plastic and aluminum case - really well, spray it off with carb cleaner and sand again after carb cleaner drys. Spray off again with carb cleaner.. make sure there is no anti freeze still seeping and area is good and dry. cover area with seal all but not to thick - it should go on fairly runny. Seal All first coat over the joint about 1/2 inch on each side of leak. Let dry for couple hours (longer is better) and then re-apply next coat out to an inch or so.. Now let that dry till your ready to leave next morning.. Put the plug back in and refill the rad..

Have had REALLY good luck with Seal All getting me back on the road.. Punched a hole in a case one time - you could literally look in and see gears - made a patch out of Seal All and gum wrapper tin foil - worked AWESOME!!

Hope it works for you and you make er to MeHeeCoe!!!

DSCN2303.JPG

"Punched a hole in a case one time - you could literally look in and see gears - made a patch out of Seal All and gum wrapper tin foil - worked AWESOME!!" MacGyver's got nothing on Cowpuc!

+1 on Seal All, it has sealed some pretty amazing stuff for me too.

Awesome trip jfman, thanks for taking us along.

Used Bars Stop leak one time to seal up a heater core leak( old mustang 2). Lasted a couple years and was picking up a lovely young lady one evening and when we got in the car to leave her house, the whole care filled with steam. lol. Her hair was falling(early 80's) i said we better get in her car and go before dad comes out and kick's my ass since we haven't been gone 15 seconds and the windows are already fogged up.

Anyhoo, bars might get you by for at least a couple weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Well it is def the angle pipe seal that is leaking. I can see it clearly today.

A weird thing this bike does is when I turn on the blinkers sometimes I lose the rpm and volt meter gauge for a split second. It only does it if I have not used the blinkers in a while. The needles drop but come right back up and the icons in the center of the dash all light up for a split second.

weird

Perhaps a little spray contact cleaner on the switch?

When I was reading your adventure novel last night I didn't realize YOU are the OP.

Just clicked the link, was captured & went to page one & couldn't put it down!

AND YOU'RE GOING BACK???

Wow! I'd scratch that off MY bucket list.

Do you expect to cover that kind of terrain on this trip?

No way I could wrestle a Venture through that!

Since you've been there done that what are you doing different this time?

Skid plate to keep the collector on the bike? AK47? Bullet proof jerry cans?

I'm trying to discipline myself to never go back to that website.

It looks like a Zane Grey REAL reality series!

Can't wait for your next installment.

Ha ha thanks Venture and Dixie.

Yeah I am not going to Copper Canyon this time.

More laid back type riding. I am going to criss cross thru the mountains on the east and then Ill see. Theres an active volcano I wanna chexk out too and the National park in Chiapas.

Little or no dirt roads this time :)

Jfman I just added you to my friend list although you are anything but! 2 nights in a row I'm up after midnight reading about a 70 year old woman from Wisconsin riding a Honda 250 across South America. And she posted a link to a blog about 2 guys that were more interesting than her? I can't keep this up! When you head west from Atlanta if you head through Birmingham area let's get together. I live and work east of Birmingham so touch base before you get to Pell City.

Advrider is addictive. Be careful, next thing you will know, your life will become a maze of trips, trip planning, trip financing and work in between to make it all work. Your friends will think you have gone crazy, your family will renounce, your finances will go to hell.

You have been warned :D

What time do you eat lunch or get off work?

Advrider is addictive. Be careful, next thing you will know, your life will become a maze of trips, trip planning, trip financing and work in between to make it all work. Your friends will think you have gone crazy, your family will renounce, your finances will go to hell.

AFTER the fact! Thanks a lot!

When you coming through?

There's the world's largest motorcycle museum, food of course and a parts bike in my driveway.

So it will require some planning.

Edited by Venture n Dixie
spelin

Was telling my wife about your adventure last night and how I would love to be able to make such a journey and she said to me "Why don't you take the summer off and do a trip through North America!" She had a big smile on her face too. :Laugh: Just not sure what to make out of that one....:confused07::cool10::whistling::shock3:

GREAT ride report and AWESOME pics on ADV PF!! :clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool: THANK YOU!!:thumbsup:

Also, CONGRATS on fixing that water leak - GLAD YOU GOT IT BROTHER!! Looking forward to more Trail Tales and and awesome pics! Watching this thread hourly!!

Ride safe and have fun!!

Puc

Just finished reading your account of the last trip to Mexico on the Versi. Man YOU ROCK! What an adventurous mind you have:clap2:

I'm confused. Can't read the direction signs. Obviously an Alabama rest stop. I65 at Tennessee line? Don't understand the flags. Tenn. minus 2 stars in an AL rest stop? If so those palms are a kind of new thing up there. They're not natural but do let you know you're getting closer to the Gulf. If that's where you are we'll meet today! ???