IGNORED

Winter 2 Week Tour - No tour bus, just a first gen!!

BigClayton

Well I have finally taken off on my first multiple state road trip on my 83 Gen 1. I'm calling it my texas tour. I have 7 different concerts between 5 cities. This is my second day and I'll try to add more later. Of coarse the carb is giving fits (maybe 3 cylinders ) but still making a go of it.

It it snowed today around Tulsa but roads were great. Monday I'm driving from Tulsa to Mission Texas. 800 miles so I may go two days. I'll blog more about the trip with more photos to come

Big Clayton

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:OUTSTANDING B.C.!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Thoughts and prayers are with you on your trip my friend!:thumbsup: May your riding be safe, amazing and fun and your concerts :clap2::clap2::clap2:be the same!:thumbsup:

Thanks for including us with pics and updates as you are enjoying doing what you do brother!

Puc

Have a safe trip, besides crazy people on the road, it is crazy weather in your part of the world. It cold go from tornado to snow storm.

keep the rubber on the road and the shinny side up, take lots of pictures and tell us about the fun when you get a chance.

Lets see if you can beat puc in story telling and writing skills.

Hi Cowpuc.

I do Last Date in my show. I went to my YouTube channel and realized I have an outdated version on there. Here is a link to a more modern video of me playing Phantom Of The Opera [video=youtube_share;Pf-6qAJ0zsg]

I thought I had it available as an MP3 and was going to send you my version of Last Date but not seeing it on the website. I'll try to upload it later on and send it to you.

Hey B.C.,, if its not to late to get a request in for your concert, PLEASE play this one for your ol buddy Puc!! I have ALWAYS loved this tune!!

image.jpg

Made it to Waco, Tx for the night. Now time to give everyone the update and the "rest of the story". January and February, Branson shows shut down and the booming tourist town pretty much shuts down. So this is my time to either set around driving my wife crazy or hit the road to do some concerts and raising funds for the down time. My issue this year is our car (turbo diesel VW) has a very expensive breakdown so the only vehicle remaining, my 83 Gen 1.

Now after reading everyone's stories about road trips and watching videos in my spare time about these special moments, I have always wanted to try this. There was honestly a bit of fear to try it whether summer spring or anytime. Could I do it, how will it be...etc.

In my past life, lol, I was a truck driver and have been in all states but Montana (in the future), but this is completely different. I have been watching forecast for two weeks prior before my trip started and if I saw anything too crazy, ice or major snow, I would rent a car. But honestly I didn't want to spend any extra money.

The time came to leave and everything was a go for launch. I put my big boy pants and hit the highway. Part of my fear is this 83. Lol. I had a shop try to synchronize the carbs only to mess it up worse. Time got away and do to show schedules I didn't get a Carbtune ready. I'm surprised how well this thing runs even out of shape. I have owned it for at least three years and have pretty much rode it year round. One of the TV shows I played music for knew I rode during the winter and wanted me to try out this "new survival suit" out. It was advertised to be goo down to -60 degrees F. So I managed to get two sets to try out, and got to keep. So that was a blessing. The same suit is now advertised on Glenn Beck. Made by Aeris. Just google Aeris survival suit. Pretty cool to read on them. (Not a paid spokesman). No way I could of bought this on my own. Just worked out that way. So with this suit I ride pretty comfortable during cold even down to 20s. Feet and gloves are the only issue. Feet I wear water wading boots, shin high, with a couple pair of wool socks. Seems to work ok. Gloves are stock motorcycle winter gloves. Not the best but they somewhat work.

Friday morning-So so off I go. Highway 65 south out of Branson towards little rock , then to I 30 west towards Mount Pleasant, TX. Then 15 miles or so south to Pittsburg TX for 1st Concert. During the concert it rains on my uncovered bike....pastor asked if I want to park it under the carport over night, and I passed so not to be a "burden" lol and it rained again.

Saturday morning - time to head north towards Tulsa for next venue. Apparently I never knew how to actually use the choke. I have always had a habit to pump the throttle a few times while trying to start. Looks like that doesn't work. After flooding the bike and having to now get jump started, I finally get it going and on the road. This, so far, is my only bad weather day. Forecasted 1" of snow Saturday morning in Tulsa, ending by noon. So sounded OK to me. Here we go. Still running good for a possible 3 cylinders ( I forgot to tell you, I need new diagphrams too). This is the only way I know the bike. I really can't imagine it running restored. I get up to around McAlaster OK on the turnpike and it is snowing and wind is blowing. Road just wet. Nothing sticking. One thing I love so far is all the people talking to me at the gas stations. They have never seen someone crazy befor :-). One older gentlemen asked where I was from and he said when he was young he did the same thing. So cool. I actually make it to Mannord, OK just fine with no problems. The venue wanted me to park the bike inside now this is a first here. I park it in my garage at home but this was a carpeted room. Lol. Fortunately I don't leak.

image.jpeg

Sunday - Concerts

Monday - Time to test my theory on how to start the bike without flooding it, lol. Wow!!! It works. Despite a late start I hit the road and head south back thought Tulsa, and somehow my stupid google maps app decides to send me a way I didn't want. I end up on Highway 69 out of McAlster. I had nightmare about this road from the 18 wheeler. Worse on the bike. Ouch. Finally Red River and 69 goes away and now highway 75 in Texas. Aww. Bike is still going strong. Very proud of it for sure. Then I tell my wife over the Bluetooth that I'm going to the Big "D" and I did mean Dallas. Done it many times before but not on a bike. I have to say, even during rush hour, it was a special moment to me. I felt like a flea at the circus but it was so cool. People can not understand why we ride bikes until they are in our shoes. So amazing. I saw Dallas. Literally. Before I had a windshield and that was all I say.

Made it through just fine and got down to Waco for the night. Nice hot shower to thaw a bit and now ready to rest this saddle soreness. In the morning I keep heading south down to the Rio Grande Valley where I play Wednseday. After that, back up to Sachse,TX (Dallas area) for Friday night. Then to Nocona, Tx (NW of Dallas) for Sunday. Then tentative, back to Branson on Monday.

I told my wife, I would certainly do this again. And looking forward to it. I did try to have my local Yamaha shop tune the

carbs before I left but they didn't want to. Didn't know how. Lol. I'd be happy to pay a venture owner to help me with it if I happen to be going by one on this trip. Loving my Venture more now. I also feel like it needs the seat mod done too. That will help out.

Im so excited to actually be posting my first real trip on the bike. I will keep you posted.

Big Clayton

Just finished watching your video and now reading your ride report brother,, :scared:OUTSTANDING :scared::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent ride report and you do some AMAZING things with those keys of Ivory my friend - JUST AMAZING!! Tip and I EVER get anywhere near one of your concerts we will hit the skidders!!:thumbsup:

Sounds like your having a ball out there. Ride safe, STAY WARM in that Aeris Survival Suit (never heard of that one - way cool they did that B.C.!!) and PLEASE keep the updates coming = what a BLAST sitting here hiding out from the cold listening to your warm hearted music and reading your story :thumbsup:

Thoughts and prayers your way for a continued AWESOME ride!:7_6_3[1]:

Puc

@BigClayton I was just looking at your profile. I hope to be coming close to your way in April or May, I am from Lee's Summit, MO, and I want to come up to visit some family, friends, and my mothers grave.

Also I seen you are interested in Ham Radio, what is your call sign? Do you have ham radio on your bike? My call sign is AL7NS, use to be NL7NY and originally KA0FEV.

Hope all is going well with your trip

Larry

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103036[/ATTACH]

Made it to Waco, Tx for the night. Now time to give everyone the update and the "rest of the story". January and February, Branson shows shut down and the booming tourist town pretty much shuts down. So this is my time to either set around driving my wife crazy or hit the road to do some concerts and raising funds for the down time. My issue this year is our car (turbo diesel VW) has a very expensive breakdown so the only vehicle remaining, my 83 Gen 1.

Now after reading everyone's stories about road trips and watching videos in my spare time about these special moments, I have always wanted to try this. There was honestly a bit of fear to try it whether summer spring or anytime. Could I do it, how will it be...etc.

In my past life, lol, I was a truck driver and have been in all states but Montana (in the future), but this is completely different. I have been watching forecast for two weeks prior before my trip started and if I saw anything too crazy, ice or major snow, I would rent a car. But honestly I didn't want to spend any extra money.

The time came to leave and everything was a go for launch. I put my big boy pants and hit the highway. Part of my fear is this 83. Lol. I had a shop try to synchronize the carbs only to mess it up worse. Time got away and do to show schedules I didn't get a Carbtune ready. I'm surprised how well this thing runs even out of shape. I have owned it for at least three years and have pretty much rode it year round. One of the TV shows I played music for knew I rode during the winter and wanted me to try out this "new survival suit" out. It was advertised to be goo down to -60 degrees F. So I managed to get two sets to try out, and got to keep. So that was a blessing. The same suit is now advertised on Glenn Beck. Made by Aeris. Just google Aeris survival suit. Pretty cool to read on them. (Not a paid spokesman). No way I could of bought this on my own. Just worked out that way. So with this suit I ride pretty comfortable during cold even down to 20s. Feet and gloves are the only issue. Feet I wear water wading boots, shin high, with a couple pair of wool socks. Seems to work ok. Gloves are stock motorcycle winter gloves. Not the best but they somewhat work.

Friday morning-So so off I go. Highway 65 south out of Branson towards little rock , then to I 30 west towards Mount Pleasant, TX. Then 15 miles or so south to Pittsburg TX for 1st Concert. During the concert it rains on my uncovered bike....pastor asked if I want to park it under the carport over night, and I passed so not to be a "burden" lol and it rained again.

Saturday morning - time to head north towards Tulsa for next venue. Apparently I never knew how to actually use the choke. I have always had a habit to pump the throttle a few times while trying to start. Looks like that doesn't work. After flooding the bike and having to now get jump started, I finally get it going and on the road. This, so far, is my only bad weather day. Forecasted 1" of snow Saturday morning in Tulsa, ending by noon. So sounded OK to me. Here we go. Still running good for a possible 3 cylinders ( I forgot to tell you, I need new diagphrams too). This is the only way I know the bike. I really can't imagine it running restored. I get up to around McAlaster OK on the turnpike and it is snowing and wind is blowing. Road just wet. Nothing sticking. One thing I love so far is all the people talking to me at the gas stations. They have never seen someone crazy befor :-). One older gentlemen asked where I was from and he said when he was young he did the same thing. So cool. I actually make it to Mannord, OK just fine with no problems. The venue wanted me to park the bike inside now this is a first here. I park it in my garage at home but this was a carpeted room. Lol. Fortunately I don't leak.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103037[/ATTACH]

Sunday - Concerts

Monday - Time to test my theory on how to start the bike without flooding it, lol. Wow!!! It works. Despite a late start I hit the road and head south back thought Tulsa, and somehow my stupid google maps app decides to send me a way I didn't want. I end up on Highway 69 out of McAlster. I had nightmare about this road from the 18 wheeler. Worse on the bike. Ouch. Finally Red River and 69 goes away and now highway 75 in Texas. Aww. Bike is still going strong. Very proud of it for sure. Then I tell my wife over the Bluetooth that I'm going to the Big "D" and I did mean Dallas. Done it many times before but not on a bike. I have to say, even during rush hour, it was a special moment to me. I felt like a flea at the circus but it was so cool. People can not understand why we ride bikes until they are in our shoes. So amazing. I saw Dallas. Literally. Before I had a windshield and that was all I say.

Made it through just fine and got down to Waco for the night. Nice hot shower to thaw a bit and now ready to rest this saddle soreness. In the morning I keep heading south down to the Rio Grande Valley where I play Wednseday. After that, back up to Sachse,TX (Dallas area) for Friday night. Then to Nocona, Tx (NW of Dallas) for Sunday. Then tentative, back to Branson on Monday.

I told my wife, I would certainly do this again. And looking forward to it. I did try to have my local Yamaha shop tune the

carbs before I left but they didn't want to. Didn't know how. Lol. I'd be happy to pay a venture owner to help me with it if I happen to be going by one on this trip. Loving my Venture more now. I also feel like it needs the seat mod done too. That will help out.

Im so excited to actually be posting my first real trip on the bike. I will keep you posted.

Big Clayton

Glad you're enjoying your trip, and I believe I speak for many of the people here when I say we certainly would NOT charge you to tune your carbs. A few guys might make you pay with a little :stickpoke:

Hi Larry, nice to meet you. Let me know when your in town for sure. Yes I am a ham too. KB0WZI. I do have a yaesu ft1d ht mounted with a ram style mount off the handle bars. The where the factory antenna was I put a nmo style mount with a 5/8 wave dual band antenna. I use this radio for the APRS feature. My family at home can track my trip off of findu.com.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kb0wzi-7

i have a sigma Bluetooth headset and they make a Bluetooth adapter with a PTT plug that will hook the radio wirelessly to the headset. I don't have the adapter as of yet but next $150 I will. Mainly just APRS now. It transmits every two minutes. Some areas don't have coverage though but it is cool. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to get you a picture maybe tomorrow. Also the radio is water resistant. It has been rained on and through the car wash. Lol. Seems to work.

UpDate.

Tuesday.

Left waco, Texas little later than I hoped. Had a great day to ride including shedding the winter suit. 65 the high I believe. Stopped at my first bucees truck stop too. That was pretty cool. I made it all the way down to Mission Texas. I play at a showcase tomorrow to book concerts for Jan and Feb 2017. After that I will head to S Padre Island to see what that is all about. I'll have the GoPro and will take some pics for everyone then. Then Thursday I'll start my journey back towards Dallas area for a Friday night concert. Still enjoying the trip.

UpDate.

Tuesday.

Left waco, Texas little later than I hoped. Had a great day to ride including shedding the winter suit. 65 the high I believe. Stopped at my first bucees truck stop too. That was pretty cool. I made it all the way down to Mission Texas. I play at a showcase tomorrow to book concerts for Jan and Feb 2017. After that I will head to S Padre Island to see what that is all about. I'll have the GoPro and will take some pics for everyone then. Then Thursday I'll start my journey back towards Dallas area for a Friday night concert. Still enjoying the trip.

I've been to South Padre in January before. I was about 12 years old so this was going on 10 or 11 years ago. I remember mom wanted to run on the beach, so I joined her and... well lets just say I didn't trip, but still managed to find myself on my belly with a mouth full of salt water

]

Hi Larry, nice to meet you. Let me know when your in town for sure. Yes I am a ham too. KB0WZI. I do have a yaesu ft1d ht mounted with a ram style mount off the handle bars. The where the factory antenna was I put a nmo style mount with a 5/8 wave dual band antenna. I use this radio for the APRS feature. My family at home can track my trip off of findu.com.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kb0wzi-7

i have a sigma Bluetooth headset and they make a Bluetooth adapter with a PTT plug that will hook the radio wirelessly to the headset. I don't have the adapter as of yet but next $150 I will. Mainly just APRS now. It transmits every two minutes. Some areas don't have coverage though but it is cool. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to get you a picture maybe tomorrow. Also the radio is water resistant. It has been rained on and through the car wash. Lol. Seems to work.

I will try to keep up with you on Findu. I am interested in the APRS part, I was wondering how much that is used today. I have been a ham radio operator since 1976 with a KB0 call you must not be to far from me. I think I mentioned my original call was KA0FEV.

if you have time to read. I was stationed in AK and turned in my KA0 call for an Alaskan Call, NL7NY upgraded to advanced and got the AL7NS call. Well with the change in vanity calls when I left AK and got retired from the AF I did not have to change my call to the local area. So I kept my AK call, computers have taken some of the fun out of it, but get on the air and people will pick you up real quick with an AK call then they get disappointed real quick too. The joke here is I do not need an amplifier because the AL7 call adds 10db gain to the signal. I ran across on youtube a guy that video me talking to his friend and him on 10 meters. I knew they thought I was in AK and the more I told them I was in GA the more they thought I was in Georgia AK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TswPW0yA4uw

Through the church we started a ham club, we use to go out and do special event stations, here is a funny video I tried to do with that

Well 73s I will check back in with you later.

Well quick update

madenit up to Temple Texas last night from Mission. Very nice weather and enjoyable ride. Sore butt though. Need the seat mod desperately. 2 1/2 hour ride today to my concert location in Sachse, TX. Then a couple hour ride to Nocona, TX for my last concert of the trip on Sunday. Tomorrow will be a break day.not sure what I'll be doing other than some office work in the motel. Any Venture guys NW of Dallas, SW of whichita falls?

will update agin tomorrow.