IGNORED

Fuel Pump or what?????

First time poster. Went out for a ride and bike wouldn't stay running. Cranks and idles but dies when you give her throttle. Seems to be fuel issue. I checked fuel pump, it will pump for a few seconds and quit. Checked filter is clear, petcock flowing good. Found info somewhere for ohms on pump, seems like it said 3 to 4.5 but I only had 1.5 on metter. Saw posts about inexspensive pump for 21.00 on Amazon. Got one on the way hoping thats it. I have learned alot thru the years from this site but this first time Bessie wouldn't crank other than replacing battery one time, thought I would see if anyone had thoughts or ideas if it isn't the fuel pump. Thanks!

If when you first turn the ignition on (without starting the bike), do you hear the fuel pump "clicking". It should click for several seconds as it fills the carbs with fuel. If you don't hear it clicking, then it is likely your pump.

Are you starting it with the choke fully on? Unless the bike is warm you need to use choke.

There is a timer on the fuel pump. It'll only run for a few seconds when the key and kill switch are first switched on. It will not run at all when the fuel line to the carburetor is pressurized.

After it's sat for a period fuel pump will do the following:

Turn key and kill switch on - pump will run for a few seconds.

Cycle key or kill switch and pump will run for a few more seconds.

As the fuel line pressurizes the pump will run slower and eventually not run at all.

Cranks and idles but dies when you give her throttle.
90%+ of the time this is dirty pilot circuits in the carburetors.

Remove the gas cap and see if the bike runs. There have been issues with the vent being plugged. Tee a vacuum pressure gauge into the fuel line at the petcock. That should tell you if the pump is working. Ok at least put a vacuum gauge on the fuel line and turn the key on You should hear the clicking and read a vacuum.

Mike

It is less messy to just open the drain on one of the carbs, some fuel should come out, when you turn on the key and kill switch the pump should run for a couple seconds and more fuel should come out. This will at least confirm that fuel is getting to the carbs.

Wendell,

I'm the guy who got and posted the $22 Amazon fuel pump (and got my share of negative comments, seems too cheap to be real I guess). The seller did state it has a check valve which was a concern for some, including me.

Pay attention to which is IN and OUT lines. The extra nipple on it is simply for venting, and does not connect to anything.

Mine is doing just fine, 3 or 4 months now. Let us know how it goes.

At that price, I did buy a spare.

I also posted a couple of years ago on how to gravity feed to bypass the fuel pump. That test could have let you know if it was the pump or filter.

Good luck, hopefully that $22 investment will make it go.

Yes. Lots of ways to test the pump. I like to tee in a vacuum/pressure gauge at the petcock or carburetor so I can see what is going on while the bike is running. As in just before it dies. But that is just me. Everyone has their own methods.

Mike

She will run with choke on now idles good. Flip throttle she spits and sputters. Ease into it, seems to run fine as you up the RPMs. Will see if I can figure out the low speed fuel air deal. Will have to see if I can find again. 1/4 turn away from stock or factory setting. Thanks for the info

(Flip throttle she spits and sputters. Ease into it, seems to run fine as you up the RPMs.)

That almost sounds like the carb diaphrams are not responding fast enough for throttle blips....stumbling on quick acceleration.

That could be vacuum leak or small holes in diaphrams among other things....