IGNORED

These grandkids are gonna kill me!

BigLenny

Two Saturdays ago I was playing basketball with my 7 year old grandson in our garage. Something I've done 100's of times during his short life. Anywho, he was dribbling the ball and I reached down and swiped it from him, the ball started bouncing away from us toward the door that leads into my kitchen. he and I both took out after it, and I tripped over my own feet and started into one of those America's Funniest Home Videos, old man stumbling with his head out in front of his feet type things. I couldn't grab anything that could stop my stumbling. So I wound up, after stumbling for about 15 feet at a high rate of speed, crashing into my kitchen door, busting it open, and falling hard to the floor. It was pretty violent. Shocked my wife ,who was in the living room reading her bible, so much so that she came running to me hollering Oh Lord! The fall left me with an approx. 12"x4" scrape down my lower right back where I hit the door facing as I went down, and an extremely sore right hip down to my knee. but the thing that is bothering me the most is; I have apparently damaged my right shoulder pretty bad. For the first 3-4 days after the incident, I could not lift my arm very far without severe pain. Now, a week and half later, I can lift it about halfway out away from my body before I start to feel like someone is stabbing a knife in my shoulder. I really don'y have much strength in it. I'm gonna have to get the doc on this one. Knowing my luck, I probably tore the rotator cuff (or as some of my southern friends call it "rotary cup"). Grandkids........They're dangerous!

Welcome to old.

But the trick is to never let the younguns know how much it hurts to keep up with them. That way they think you are superman.

If your shoulder is still hurting that bad after a week, It may be time to see your doc.:mo money:

You have to get that shoulder back in shape before the :snow: comes.

Man, that's some tough luck story.

I can (sorta) feel your pain. At least sympathize with ya.

I have the opportunity to crash and burn this 57 year old body playing with my two 5 year old boys.

Grandkids go home and return every now and then.

My boys are here 24/7.

And they wanna play 36/8.

Hope you aren't damaged and maybe just stove-up some.

Get better soon. You still have some riding time left where you are.

Well here is the problem as I see it, if you would of been in your house with your wife reading your bible with her this would never of happened. :hurts:

Very true, Larry. And that is probably exactly what she was thinking. But, in her wisdom, she didn't say it.

Very true, Larry. And that is probably exactly what she was thinking. But, in her wisdom, she didn't say it.

WOW what a great wife you have, she didn't say it, at least to your face.

I was at my brothers one Christmas, in MO, cold as snot out, I had my hands in my pockets and did not see the step into the garage, and went down and slammed on my side and face. I can still hear my wife laughing at me........ Lucky I didn't break or really hurt anything but my pride

Sorry to hear you got injured Lenny,

Part of getting old is we start trying to do the crazy things we did as kids but without the speedy healing process to fall back on (no pun intended).

You need to work the shoulder so it does not start to stiffen up.

I suggest sitting on your bike, hold tightly to the handle bar, turn the front wheel back and forth for 10 minutes then rest for ten minutes. Continue this 4 times a day until the shoulder feels better.

Last thing you need is to have a bun riding shoulder.

All kidding aside, I hope you get to feeling better soon and don't have to have surgery.

Seems that you don't see the benefit of this occurrence. Let me see if I can say this right. What happened here is that the youngun has learned not to play with grandpa, seeing as it was him who got hurt last time and next time it could be the other way around. Grandpa took the brunt of it this time, but the next time it might be so and somebody else will have to deal with the pain. Lesson learned, it's all fun until somebody gets hurt.

On another note:

You just know that from now on all grandpas will have to wear protective gear when they go to play, and all kitchen doors will have to be removed?

Heal well, and look forward to the next time your wife decides to read!

If You took the grandkid out of the equation, it is almost exactly my story. 2 years ago my son and I were geared up to go to Squid's Maintenance Day. His Honda Shadow wouldn't turn over, and so since we live on an incline I got off my bike, took off my helmet and push started him. The bike started immediately, but I couldn't stop running. I tried to aim for the neighbors grass but fell full speed into the curb, right shoulder first. Even with my heavily armored leather Gericke jacket, I still broke my humerus. I still feel it when it gets cold. I feel your pain literally.:Avatars_Gee_George:. The best physical therapy for it is to attach a small rope and pulley up high ( garage or top of door) take 1 hand on each end of the rope and verrry slooowly pull down with the good shoulder as you raise the bad one with the rope. First directly to the front, then to the side, then backwards raising the arm higher as you can handle it. Another is to stand close enough to touch a wall and walk your fingers up the wall keeping your shoulder down, the same way, first in front, then to the side, then to the rear. It doesn't matter if it is partially torn, fully torn or broken, the exercises are the same and do it as soon as possible, a frozen shoulder happens pretty fast

Edited by SapperMedic