IGNORED

Witnessed a low side slide

Brenner

I have not been around this site as my new job really takes most of my time and the little time I have left I ride as much as I can, and also I don't want to cause discomfort for some purist members because I went from yamaha to harley and feel they are a better fit for me as I still own my venture but prefer my HOGs. That being said, yesterday morning about 7 am I asked a friend and fellow rider if he cared to join me as I rode some highway as I will be taking my final M2 exit course next week. The weather was a little brisk so I was wearing my chaps and full leathers and even though my riding partner did not want to wear his I managed to convince him to do so. Well we headed out from one highway to the next and he needed fuel so we stopped and filled up. I noticed he was riding rather spirited than normal as it had been a few weeks since his last ride. We left a traffic light onto a highway acceleration ramp and he opened his bike up and I was thinking to myself "Man he is gonna get hurt if he don't ride more responsibly" as I opened up my full dressed Harley to keep up with him. I let off at 30 km above the speed limit and decided it was not worth the risk and he ended up slowing down and we rode the highway to Niagara Falls and since he was leading (which is rare) he chose the exit ramp he wanted. Once at the end of the ramp at a traffic light he was shouting he wanted to go to Chippawa which is a common motorcycle meeting place and I nodded agreeing that we would go. Well I remember the next part in slow motion, as I can still see the light changing and him riding off turning into the left inside lane and I can still see the bike going down and seeing him rolling and the bike skidding out from between his legs and I then had to think quick to ride around him and get my decker to the side of the road and my helmet off to help him. Now here is the part I have trouble believing. I helped him up and the light changed and the ignorant cagers proceeded through the intersection narrowly hitting us and the downed bike. I told him to stand there and watch for cars as I picked the bike up and waited for no traffic to get it to the side of the road. He was out of it for a few minutes needless to say. I examined the bike a 2006 XL1200R that was previously in like mint condition. Not so anymore, a broken shift peg, road rash lever, rear shock, foot peg, and a few marks on the tank. He got lucky that he was not hurt worse and that the bike suffered minor damage as if we were going right he would of lost his $800 Bassani exhaust. I asked if he could ride he said only his hip was sore and I told him he would feel it later. I jimmied the shifter and we rode to Chippawa and after half an hour or so he was feeling the ribs and other aches and pains. His chaps and leathers took the brunt of the asphalt and it shows. He said he has never gone down in 35 years of riding and I told him he can"t make that claim anymore. He blamed it on fine gravel and I corrected him as the asphalt was clean and I told him he was to aggressive on cold roads and that he was lucky. So now I have been asked to repaint the bike a new color and to replace the back tire as it is 10 years old and showing age. If he wants to blame it on that so be it. Two points I have learned from this, Number 1 No matter how confident you are of your skill set there might be a time that will prove that you are not as good as you think you are. Number 2 People now at days do not care and are so hurried that they will run you down even if you are in distress and you can not count on anyone so it might be best to have a good riding partner in case you need assistance as otherwise you are pretty much on your own. This is my experience of this weekend.

Whether I have had the pleasure of meeting you or not, please ride safe, and look out for each other as we are all in this together.

Sounds like your buddy and his Sporty got off what could have been a really really bad situation in fairly decent shape Bren. Certainly not playing down his fall but brother - its not uncommon for the quick steering Sportsters to go the other way and high side = ouchy ouch!! Good on ya for being there for him either way Bren and glad he is ok!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had an incident recently on Crud my Vmax pretty similar to your buddies.. Same kinda deal,, all qeeked out having some late season new bike fun.. Neighbor following me minding his own business ( ( @bluestar99 ), come around a corner I have taken at speed many times - no gravel or dirt BUT pavement tempts had recently changed a LOT - in the excitement of the day I had forgotten about that common issue to watch out for:doh:. Thankfully I was on the Max cause I may not have been able to save the spill on our heavier 83.. Happens quick dont it!!

Right back at you on your last sentence brother!!:thumbsup:

I have not been around this site as my new job really takes most of my time and the little time I have left I ride as much as I can, and also I don't want to cause discomfort for some purist members because I went from yamaha to harley and feel they are a better fit for me as I still own my venture but prefer my HOGs.

"Purist members"....WOW, I don't think I know anyone around that might fit that comment. I don't think you have anything to worry about here. We ride all kinds of bikes and it DON'T matter. :biker::biker:

Randy

"and also I don't want to cause discomfort for some purist members because I went from yamaha to harley"

Thank you for being concerned about our discomfort because you ride a Harley!

Usually I just take a strong laxative....:stickpoke: :rotf::rotfl:

Edited by venturesome

If you ride long enough, there are two types of riders, those that have gone down and those that will.

So dress accordingly.

My biggest issue is keeping 100% focus while riding, so i remind myself every time i get on the bike. Distraction has brought many a biker down...

Nothing better to cure aggressive riding than a couple of crashes... Eventually it will sink in.

Edited by CaptainJoe

A 10 year old tire might be the biggest culprit here. I suppose we might blame aggressive riding, but a 10 year old tire doesn't givea rider much in the way of traction, add to that cool pavement, cool tire, and a feller needs to take things into account.

I havent dumped a bike since i was 18 (50 now).

but ive learned my lesson over the years.

switched on 100% when riding and scanning the road surface all the time.

If i even think theres a tiny hint of a chance that next corner or stretch of road might do the nasty on us, im riding in super conservative mod.

Its served me well for the last 32 years...hers hoping it does for another 20 or so....

A 10 year old tire might be the biggest culprit here. I suppose we might blame aggressive riding, but a 10 year old tire doesn't givea rider much in the way of traction, add to that cool pavement, cool tire, and a feller needs to take things into account.

That was exactly my thought Marcarl. Sounds like the fellas default mindset isn't safety. Hopefully the crash will start him down the path of maturing in that area.

Agree 10 year old tire doesn't help at the best of times, either does riding like ya stole it.

Shane where are you taking your M2 exit, Welland or Hamilton. Just curious.

Mike

Mike I am attempting my M2 in St Catharines. I like to believe I can handle the bike and have been told I handle it well but I am nervous of doing something foolish or absent minded. Lets hope the weather holds up as I only have one shot at it and if by chance I do mess up I will not be able to retest till next spring as the testing season is coming to an end next week for this area.

For all those who mentioned accepting that I ride Harley's and that I am still welcome, thank you. Honestly it is appreciated. Over the past season I have had six invites to join different local and not so local motorcycle clubs but I am always not so sure I want to wear a patch for a specific group. I prefer to ride independently and without club ties. I think this forum is all the club I need. Lots of good people out here and I still mention this forum to anyone I feel can benefit from it.

My first thought was right there with Carls. Rubber gets harder with age and therefore looses grip. Two good signs of the tire getting hard which I have learned first hand are.

1- the tire starts to feel like it wants to slide every time you make a corner even on dry pavement. I even had the entire bike slide sideways on a ramp one year coming home from a WNY rally, to which the Count, who was behind me witnessed. Thankfully I did not go down but it was a wake up call

2- You start to notice that tire wear slows down and begins to exceed its normal life span. Initially you think great, but then you come to realize there is a very bad reason for this extended tire life.

Even though the tire has lots of tread left, when it gets to this point change it. THE HIDE ON YOUR RIM IS NOT WORTH THE HIDE ON YOUR BACK .

Hey @cowpuc :backinmyday: I think I just made up a new slogan for your collection. :fnd_(16):

Edited by saddlebum