IGNORED

[help]ignition problems help please

hi im in need of some help getting this bike running.its a 85 i think xvz1200.frame data plate states xvz 1200td type 47g.im having great trouble finding out which cdi unit should be fitted to the bike because as bourght it is fitted with a hitachi type tid14-17. this unit fires all cylinders at idle but as revs rise to around 3000 i loose spark on number 1-3 .with the bike was a cdi unit type tid14-34 which if i plug in runs on 3 cylinders number 3 cylinder has no spark at all.could someone tell me where to try next with this problem ive been trying all the fixes on this forum with no improvement.the bikes harness was butchered around the fusebox so that it ran correctly on the first poition on the the ignition switch [which it shouldnt] and was charging at 17 volt somehow.this has now been sorted with a new blade type fusebox and rewired .can the cdi units be repaired or is there a better aftermarket unit that can be easily fitted.ive spent far to much time on this thing already im getting close to throwing in the towel .help please.

I have not heard of anyone successfully repairing a stock ignition box. Replacing the diodes and capacitors as preventative maintenance yes, but repair a dead one no.

Before you start to throw money at it, a few things to check.

How old are the plugs? These do not last real long. Even plugs that look good can still be bad.

The plug caps can be disassembled and there is a resistor element that likes to corrode and make a bad connection. Careful of the spring when you disassemble.

Check the connectors on the ignition box to be sure they are corrosion free, check the connectors to the coils for cleanliness.

Check to be sure you are getting spark to all cylinders at all speeds.

If all of that is good then it may be time to look at a new box.

I think you can still get the 10K resistor for the plug cap in Europe if not use 5K so that is a good cheap place to start along with new plugs.

Will the bike run down the road and rev out with the 14-34 plugged in.

From what I know you're 85 should run on any CDI box from 84 to 90, sad to say don't know CDI number on boxes.

Chances are you will need a new CDI, There is lots of boxes for sale on ebay here but there is a lot of junk also.

Good luck.

hi im in need of some help getting this bike running.its a 85 i think xvz1200.frame data plate states xvz 1200td type 47g.im having great trouble finding out which cdi unit should be fitted to the bike because as bourght it is fitted with a hitachi type tid14-17. this unit fires all cylinders at idle but as revs rise to around 3000 i loose spark on number 1-3 .with the bike was a cdi unit type tid14-34 which if i plug in runs on 3 cylinders number 3 cylinder has no spark at all.could someone tell me where to try next with this problem ive been trying all the fixes on this forum with no improvement.the bikes harness was butchered around the fusebox so that it ran correctly on the first poition on the the ignition switch [which it shouldnt] and was charging at 17 volt somehow.this has now been sorted with a new blade type fusebox and rewired .can the cdi units be repaired or is there a better aftermarket unit that can be easily fitted.ive spent far to much time on this thing already im getting close to throwing in the towel .help please.

The TCI numbered "TID14-17" (26H-xx) is for a 1983 XVZ12TK/TDK (there was no 1983 XVZ12 imported to Europe). Your XVZ12TD-47G should have the TID14-34 (41R-xx) TCI.

What is the complete VIN (frame number)? Is there a manufacturing date anywhere on the label? IS there a white label with vehicle identification on the lower frame rail beneath the brake pedal?

i think i need to replace with the igitec unit.seems the way to go.ive checked every thing i can thanks for the help on this .i have a alloy plate on the headstock by the frame number .it reads type 47g model xvz12td p.v.a.nr 83/6534 [no idea what this means]no de serie 47g-005121[frame number ]need to figure out the year of manufacture to order the correct ignitec unit if you could help .cheers.this bike may have been imported used from usa but not sure paperwork says not but can be wrong sometimes.also while i have your attention i think it may have vmax carbs fitted .i say this because the diaphram covers are smooth not finned and it has a choke lever on the carbs and not on the left handlebar .

Am sure you know by now a venture will not run good on vmax carbs so you will have to dig into the carbs you have and swap everything over to a 83 to 85 carb set, it will run good on 86 to 93 set up also, easy on petrol just not as much fun as the 83 set up.

do you have the venture airbox and filter ?

Am sure you know by now a venture will not run good on vmax carbs so you will have to dig into the carbs you have and swap everything over to a 83 to 85 carb set, it will run good on 86 to 93 set up also, easy on petrol just not as much fun as the 83 set up.

do you have the venture airbox and filter ?

Not to jack the thread but why are the later carbs not as much fun as the 83-85 carb set?? I have an '84. &why won't vmax carbs work? Lastly, my stock tci had same failure loosing advance when review it up. It would pop out the carbs. I tried to fix it then bought ignetech... also look at megasquirt if you're handy/curious..

hi yes i have airbox and filter they are fitted to the bike.i have two sets of venture carbs .when i get the ignition sorted il strip a set and ultrasonic clean them .main thing for now is to figure out year and model if anyone can tell me .thanks

i have a alloy plate on the headstock by the frame number .it reads type 47g model xvz12td p.v.a.nr 83/6534 [no idea what this means]no de serie 47g-005121[frame number ]need to figure out the year of manufacture to order the correct ignitec unit if you could help .cheers.this bike may have been imported used from usa but not sure paperwork says not but can be wrong sometimes.

According to Yamaha your frame number (47G-005121) indicates a 1985 XVZ12T/TD, model code 47G, intended country England. I suggest you check the engine number and confirm a matching number to the frame.

A Venture will run just fine on VMax carbs after its jetting and settings are sorted.

It will just run rich until set up properly. Theoretically, larger throat diameter means more hp, once set up properly.

Vmax carbs on an 83-85 will be 1mm larger in the throat. 86+ venture carbs are the same diameter as VMax carbs. 86+ are only different in the jetting and handlebar mounted choke lever.

Before you spend 300+ bucks on an ignitech, what troubleshooting have you done that makes you think its the tci?

Have you at least metered the spark plug caps?

Test ignition coil, test pick up coil. Axxaxxaxxa, test pressure sensor! Go wiring diagram and service manual. The tester and a little dexterity is necessary.

PS The motorcycle lost power. Mechanics looked for the reason of 3 years....Boost sensor died.

hi.ive been trying to get this bike running for a while now.with the correct for year cdi it idles on 4 cylinders as revs rise spark fades on no3 cylinder.i have tried swapping coils around and fitted spares.no change i have two boost sensors both give different resisances but make no difference to n03 cylinder .i have tested the pickups and they appear ok.i cant see it being them as there working as idle,compression is good it all points to cdi as far as i can tell .vmax carbs need changing but there not affecting it at the moment.i know the boost guage are troublesome but why does it only affect no3 cylinder.i dont want to spend £300 on an ignition system but i dont know what else it can be.any idears are welcomed.

My tci failed in the same manner. I tested everything including the pressure sensor voltages at vacuum. I also swapped pressure sensors. Confirmed no advance watching the timing marks. Mine fired all cylinders at idle but backfired out carbs. There's a good tutorial on the troubleshooting and I'll paste the link.

Start from the spark plugs and work your way back to the tci.

plugs good?

spark plug caps meter good?

spark wires meter good? (Watch for arcing to ground when running, especially happens as rpm increase easily seen in a dark area with cobers off bike)

Spark wires to cap meter good?

coils meter good?

electrical connector plugs to the tci free of corrosion and good contact?

after that, youre pretty much down to the tci....

And ohm out the pickups from tci connector (about 120 ohms) and check the 5 pin connector to pickups left side between frame and gas tank.. then at the tci connector you can check ignition voltage and ground (as well as measure coils). But getting an eyeful of oil to see no advance would confirm quickly