IGNORED

BBB. Pirates Pirates Everywhere!

BigLenny

Went to Bikes Blues and BBQ this past Saturday and for the most part enjoyed myself again test riding bikes and looking at bikes at the Antique Bike Show, as well as the Bikes Blues and Hot Rods Too car show. Food was great. Music was awesome. Due to the weather, there had to be a record attendance this year. They say it draws 400K. Some years I doubt that. This year I believed it. A freakin boat load of bikes everywhere you looked across 3 cities. But, I gotta ask a question. Nobody has ever accused me of being good lookin (those of you who met me at the international this year can attest to that), and not a sole would nominate me to be in GQ magazine, but, why in the world do a certain very large segment of bikers feel like they have to dress like nasty looking degenerate pirates to ride motorcycles? In general I haven't really focussed on it in the past, even though my wife has been yappin about it for years. But, this year, at BBB it seemed to have gotten the best of me. LOL. It's like these people woke up in the morning and said, "We're goin to the bike rally today, let me find my worst lookin sh** to wear." I know a guy whom I've been friends with for 30 years. Fairly clean cut family man who is an accountant. Standard haircut guy with a close cut goatee, kind like me. The dude bought a Harley two years ago, and now he has a foot long beard, a 2 foot pony tail, rides his bike with no helmet, only a skull patterned dew rag, leather chaps everywhere he goes, and either a torn up sleeveless shirt or vest, and he has added probably 5 big tattoos. Not to mentioned a nose ring. When he's riding his bike he looks honest to goodness like he is flat broke. I really try my best to not be a judgmental person. I usually have a "to each his own" attitude. But, at BBB this year, there was sea of these type folks. Thousands. I was wearing riding Draggin jeans, a black t-shirt with a bike shop logo on the back, riding boots, and a black Daytona Bike Week ball cap, and I was waaaayyyy outta place. And, the tradeshow this year was 90% tuned toward that crowd. I wasn't interested in buying a leather jacket with studs and chains on it, or chaps with flames on them, or skull and crossbones jewelry, or a t-shirt with some vulgar off color comment on it, or thigh high riding boots with high heels for my wife (I take that back, that might be cool), etc, etc, etc. But man, over half the tradeshow was vendors selling that garb.

But, I did have fun. It was a lot like going to the circus and watching the freakshow, except it was free. LOL. I recommend everyone to go to it at least once.

Back in 01 when I still had my bike shop it was common practice for me to help the Franchised Dealerships out by purchasing their left over new scoots. A Harley shop in Indiana had a Concord Grape Purple Wide Glide they just couldn't sell (thing was drop dead GORGEOUS - had golden inlaid Harley emblems on the tank that looked like they were imbedded 3 inches deep - WAYYYYYY PURDY:178:). I picked it up way below wholesale - brand new still in the crate.. They wouldn't let me take it with Certificate of Orgin so I had to leave it a couple days while they put it together. Jumped on Ebay looking for buyers.. First guy I contacted was bidding on a new Black Wide Glide. Told him what I had, he said THAT is EXACTLY the color I really really really want BUT Harley told em 1 year wait for that paint job - offered me 1500 over MSRP?

The man asked how soon I could get it to him out in Jersey.. This was a Thursday, was picking bike up on Saturday in Indiana, told him I had just finished a 2 month western tour on my Venture, could do 50 mile break in (thats right - Harley had an UNDER 35 mph 50 mile breakin back then :confused07:) on way home in Ravenna, head to his house and be there by Monday no problem..

Come to find out, guy owned a HUGE car dealership in Jersey - about 1/2 hour from Manhatten.. He said if you would do that, I will Bank Transfer money for the bike, overnight you plates - insurance, pay ya a buck a mile for your time, treat ya like royalty when here, put ya up at a top class motel at the airport and fly ya home first class . I reminded him that owning a new car dealership - maybe he could have the biked shipped with Certificate of Origin - still in crate - put his own bike together for fun,,, NO NO NO _ WANT IT NOW!!!:Cartoon_397:

Met me in his driveway, patting the back of his 3 month old baby girl (PRECIOUS), dressed in shirt n tie, super nice wife - LOVELY couple! Guy lived in a home high in these hills, told me place was 30 million - it was BEAUTIFUL!! He says,, wanna go explore the City - I will ride my new bike and you can ride my "old one" (his "old" Harley had under 2k miles on it).. Of course I said YOU BETCHA!!

He disappeared for about 20 minutes while I sat playing with da kid.. Came downstairs dressed EXACTLY like you are talking Lenny!!! LOTS of really super awesome Professional folks do exactly what you are talking about - go to the Sturgis Rally sometime if you wanna see the extreme of it.. Pretty unique really...

Dressing up or down to ride your bike or go to an event is kinda like being a woman. Women wear all kinds of outfits to make a fashion statement. I do have biker friends that look a little like pirates but they always dress the same. And me I just dress for the weather. Although when I'm going out I won't wear greasy car/bike work jeans or even painting clothes. And if I'm going to a wedding or funeral I wear nice jeans and boots and a nice shirt. Truth is tho that you can never be overdressed and people watching is fun so pirate bikers are way cool with me.

Motorcycling is becoming a fashion statement for many people whether they are pirates, adventure tourists, or squids. It all seems to be about posing for the particular crowd they are into.

Me, I just ride my bike. I wear clothing/gear that is appropriate for the weather and the ride at hand. Usually work boots, jeans, t-shirt, textile jacket, helmet. Rain gear when needed.

I tend to avoid group rides that have more than 4 bikes and large crowded rallies.

I just simply enjoy riding for me, don't care what anyone else thinks.

Jimmy

Let me make something clear. I feel like I've stepped on some toes here, and Lord knows I certainly don't wanna do that. I too think some of the ways pirate riders dress is way cool. I did see a lotta folks wearing some pretty cool stuff at the rally, making some serious fashion statements. People watching is one of my favorite activities at rallys. However, what I was mainly talking about was, there was a large number of folks that were just plain nasty. But, I guess that's their business if they wanna not take a bath and wash their hair and look grungy and ride a bike. After all, we're all bikers with the commonality that we like to drink the wind, as they say.

So, please forgive me if I offended anybody. I don't want to be a judgemental person at all. I've always taken pride in the fact that I truly love all kinds and brands of motorcycles. I guess I need to work on the liking all styles of riders part. LOL.