IGNORED

Hand grips

kentuckyrider

If I recall, I used a knife blade or small screwdriver to remove mine and then cleaned off the glue residue with paint thinner and a scratch pad. Just had to work the blade around as I pulled on it.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

I'm a little confused. You said you got the left grip off, that is usually the one that has to be removed using air or in my case, I just insert a thin screwdriver between the grip and the bar and work it around.

It's the throttle side you are having a problem with though. It's been my experience that the throttle side uses a sleave and the entire thing just slides off.

You want a set of 7/8" grips. They also need to be the correct length, which I cannot recall what that is (measure). I love my Kuryakyn ISO grips - get the ones listed for Gold Wing 1500.

As Freebird said, some grips come with a new tube for the right. As I recall though, my ISO grips required me to reuse my old throttle tube. Try cutting and peeling (but be careful not to cut up the plastic tube).

When I replaced the grips on one of our other bikes I forced a long thin screwdriver in between the bar and grip, squirted Windex in next to the screwdriver and kind of worked it around the bar and grip. Then it just slid right off. I have new grips for Big Red but haven't changed them yet.

I recommend Windex because it doesn't have a soapy film.

The actual bar is 7/8" What you might be measuring is the sleeve. It is easier to get the right set and replace the sleeve as well as the grip.. Kuryakyn 6180 iso grips fit the 1st gen bars but they go over the existing sleeve

I'm in the shop now and checked the package, the Kuryakyn 6180 is what I have too. They're outstanding.

I think it's the terminology that is confusing the issue. The bars are the same size. The sleeve is the sleeve, NOT the bar. Like I said, many (I thought MOST) times the grips come with a new sleeve and just slides on. I've never seen anybody refer to the right side as being 1 1/4" because it's really not.

For your 1991 Venture, look for grips that fit Honda GL1500 or GL1800. The First Gen Venture and Honda both have 7/8" bars and are longer than most 7/8" bar grips at 5.75". There are few sellers of grips specifically for the First Gen Venture, because the Venture has not been a current model for more than 25 years. But of course the Honda GL1800 is still being made and there is a huge accessory market for the GL. If you simply buy a set of grips that you like and they are marketed for the GL1500/1800, the grips will fit the First Gen Venture well.

Be aware that many sellers do not differentiate between the First Gen Venture and the Second Gen Venture. When a seller says "Venture" these days, they are most likely selling Second Gen Venture accessories. The Second Gen Ventures use 1" bars. Grips for the Second Gen will not fit on the First Gen.

When you get your grips, make sure you put the left grip on the left and the right grip on the right. Sounds obvious, but sometimes the grips are not marked as to right or left. The right and the left grips are not the same size.

I bought a 6" long set of 7/8 grips off eBay. You want 6" lenght for a Venture)

Slid right on.

Looks like so:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/13D78C83-C218-4506-BA0E-6F6DE509E87E_zps8d4e26ya.jpg

Love 'em. Paid 25 bucks. They're actually a full rubber grip and the chrome is a sleeve over the rubber. Lots of grip, damps out vibes. I can't believe how good of a buy they were for 25 bucks and off eBay!

:)

I did have to make a spacer for the throttle grip, but it was to space it away from the vista cruise. Nothing to do with the grip. The other thing I did (didn't have too, I just wanted it more solid) was put one wrap of duct tape on the L/H bar. I could spin the grip if I tried on the LH, with the tape on, it's solid as a rock. Meh, 25 bucks off ebay. What do you expect? Perfection?

;)

Air compressor and an air gun with a nozzle makes getting any grip off a piece of cake.

Wedge. Whoosh. Gone. That simple. Glued or not......:)

Edited by Great White