IGNORED

Ordered a Hagon Rear Shock

Darn Bike is like riding a po-go stick.

I ordered a new Hagon shock last night. It shipped today should have by weeks end.

I will be getting the old one out while I wait on delivery

Just wondering if there is anything i should be aware of or do while replacing the old one.

Blew a muffler gasket over the weekend as well. Ordered 2 of those from boats.net

A word of advice. I have done a couple of these. The way I recommend installing is when you get the shock it will have a set screw looking thing on the bottom of the shock. This is to adjust the rebound I think. Anyways you will want access to this if you change loads. Say you normally ride one up and then decide to go 2 up with gear. You will need a bit more stiffening of the shock. the supplied allen wrench will go in this adjuster and take the setting up or down. So install the shock so this screw is accessible from the right hand side of the bike. That way when its on the side stand you can get at it a little easier as it is higher on that side.

I really liked my Hagon shock on the RSTD. It went with the bike. I got the Heavy duty version. I weigh 190 and the wife 160. I think I added a 1/4 turn clockwise (more damping) and that seemed fine 1 or two up. I added no spring preload at all. I prefer the ride a little stiffer, Hagon was never harsh. For reference I would ride my RSTD solo with 45 lbs of air in the OEM Yamaha rear shock.

Similar to what DJH3 mentioned about the damping adjustment screw on the bottom of the shock body, there is also a set screw in the collar for the spring preload adjuster. Make sure that is pointing in a direction where you can get at it in case you need too. With an HD Hagon shock (on an RSTD anyway) the ride height was the same or maybe a tad higher than when the OEM Yamaha shock was fully charged with air. You probably don't need leveling links in my opinion.

Best way to set the preload is with a tape measure (and a friend) . Spec Rear travel is 4.1". fully loaded you want loaded static preload at 25-30% of max travel . Find a fixed point on the frame/fender at or near the axle center line ( you will be sliding a tape measure behind the saddle bag) and measure with no load on the bike to the ground. Then with you, wife and gear on board, measure again (here is where friend comes in handy) ideally that loaded dimension should change by 1"-1 1/4" max relative to the unloaded dimension. If you set it up for fully loaded condition, it will only be slightly stiffer feeling when solo, but not enought o warrant changing the preload. YOU are better off having set up for yor loaded condition.

Want to know the bad news about the Hagon shock? It will make you want to change your front springs too. Front will feel mushy by comparison.

Want to know the bad news about the Hagon shock? It will make you want to change your front springs too. Front will feel mushy by comparison.

I still have the OEM rear shock on mine. But last year I did change the fork oil and went 1 step thicker. I think the manual calls for 5w and I went with the 10w oil.

Thanks for all the input .

I took the shock out today it took about an hour to get the bike jacked up and get it removed.

The new shock should be here on Monday. My exhaust gasket showed up to day, That blew out on me last Saturday

Over the winter I may go ahead and replace the front springs and the pressure plate for the clutch.

I feel it should pull a little smoother with the trailer on hills. My RSTD pulls the camper way better

I have only had this bike 2 years now. Being a 15 year old cycle it needs a few things.

Thanks for all the tips.

It installed and test driven. took about 15 minutes to install

:dancefool: Painless job.

I have real bad strip of road I avoid behind Big lots her in Pickerington Ohio. It is nothing but patches and holes

The bike rides pretty smooth over all of it

Sits a little higher But i like it

I did find an article click here That was very helpful

As some one mentioned I do think I will do the front springs after the season

Thanks ...

:thumbsup2: