IGNORED

Damper replacement

Ever since I realized I had Baron's riser extensions on my handlebars, I've been trying to come up with a way to replace the dampers that normally rest between the bars and the fairing. Very little room in there now. I don't feel or hear the bars striking the fairing but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Suggestions as to what I could use for material?

IMG_20150731_104428_221.jpgIMG_20150731_104434_772.jpgIMG_20150731_104450_360.jpg

Thanks!

david

Is the rubber bushing/cushion things still glued to the fairing? I had installed a pair of risers on mine also, and noticed once the risers are on because it moves the bars back the cushion things have no support. I think it was Kirby here had made at one time some alum bobbin looking things to fit in the semi circle part of the cushions. I had to drill like a 1/4" hole in the riser kind of where the old bars would have been. Dont know if he has anymore but you could probably use say an inexpensive 9/16 or whatever OD size socket would be right and do the same thing. Heck even a wooden dowel would do it. Just has to mount solid to the riser so the rubber cushion would be supported.

The rubber cushion will never fit in there without putting a lot of stress on the inner fairing. And no they aren't there anymore. When PO put the risers on, the rubber pieces were loose and one fell. I only have one left. The inexpensive one!

But can't use it anyway. I was thinking of cutting it down and trying to slip it in between the bars and the inner fairing with some double sided tape to hold it. But that would be a huge cut. Looking for another alternative if anyone has ideas....I seem to be fresh out of creativity!

Thanks, Dion....I wasn't aware someone else had made a gadget to help solve this...

Thanks for the pic, Mike. Looks like you have more room than I do??!!

I just measured. I have a tad more than a 1/2 inch between the bars and the inner fairing....

Hmm...I haven't done anything to inner fairing so guess this must be from previous owners as well....

Interesting.

Anyone else have Baron riser's and have the dampers installed like Mike does?

Edited by videoarizona

I dont remember the manufacture of my risers, but I would think they are all made very similar. It almost looks like your fairing has tilted back. Maybe because of no support. There is an inner mount bracket, maybe split the fairing and make sure all the bolts are on that thing. Other option is maybe go to local hardware store and find something hard rubber. I know Lowes has some rubber stoppers you could measure the gap and cut the stopped and a piece of double stick tape it to fairing. It cant be particularly good for the fairing to be bouncing with no support. I will take a couple pics of mine later.

When I put risers on my 07 , I went to the auto parts store and got a pack of those hard rubber spacers people put in between the coils of springs in the suspension to get a little bit of lift. The rubber is really hard, I shapped them using a disc sander fitted to my wood lathe, took a bit of fiddling around, I think I used the original dampers for the top because it was shaped to fit the handle bars and then attached the ones I made to them with an aluminum piece I painted black.

DSCN0461.jpg

I dont remember the manufacture of my risers, but I would think they are all made very similar. It almost looks like your fairing has tilted back. Maybe because of no support. There is an inner mount bracket, maybe split the fairing and make sure all the bolts are on that thing. Other option is maybe go to local hardware store and find something hard rubber. I know Lowes has some rubber stoppers you could measure the gap and cut the stopped and a piece of double stick tape it to fairing. It cant be particularly good for the fairing to be bouncing with no support. I will take a couple pics of mine later.

I agree, Dion, can't be good. I had the outer fairing apart a few weeks ago in prep to lowering the front end, but my buddy couldn't make it down to help so I put her back together. As far as I know, everything is kosher inside regarding the mounting of the fairing. I think maybe tomorrow I'll take her apart again and loosen up the inner fairing...see if there is a way to snug her up and get more room.

Thanks...

Dion, yep..you have more room than I do.

Right now, I'm waiting for two things to get shipped in, when they are installed...I'll take apart the fairing and look at the mount for something different. To many parts sitting on the bench/garage floor at this point. Don't want more.

I didn't put the Baron's riser on so who know what else has been done to the scoot?

VideoAZ,

I was looking at your pictures, particularly where you have the tape measure in the view and this may be a dumb question but... Are looking to put the rubber damper between the bars and the fairing? The damper should be between the top of the triple tree and the fairing. M61AMECH's picture is the best of those supplied in this thread to show what it should like. He has extended his, of course. If you are already looking at that route, sorry to have stepped in.

Gary, Good question. Was originally going to put something between bars and fairing. They are very close and with the way the fairing bounces without the original dampers in there...I figure I need something. The Risers are great for my shoulders but lousy for the fairing! There's no longer anything to hold the original dampers down by the triple tree and fairing...!

Looking for ideas on what I could mount between bars and fairing (or anywhere else) that would support the fairing.

I like the way M61AMECH built his taller. If you build it the correct height it should be wedged in there tight enough stay. I have used rubber corks from the hardware store in similar situations but I am not sure even their largest would be tall enough. I suppose you could fasten them together. Maybe use the automotive coil spring spacers?

The 3rd pic of mine shows the spacer thing I got from Kirby. It fits where the hndlebars were orginaly. I think you could use a cheap socket that has the same OD. Then drill the riser in that half moon section and tap it to 1/4 20 thread, and run the bolt thru the socket and tighten.

I think definatly the easy fix is the rubber spring spacer thing though.

I used that black aluminum strap I made to hold mine together, you could probably use automotive strength double sided tape to hold them together. I was not overly happy with the asthetics of the pieces, but once they in there you can barely see them. I put mine on within the first year I had the bike and they stayed there for the next 6 years and 70,000 miles never had a problem. I considered the drill and tap to add the handle bar simulating piece that Dion mentioned, but with the risers being such a critical part of the bike control system, if one would fail because of that hole, you would be in a world of hurt. So my conservitive nature would not let me do that mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

After lowering the front end, the middle section of the inner fairing is a cat's whisker from hitting the risers. So I found a piece of thin hard rubber strip...cut it into two inch long pieces and lifted the inner fairing enough to slide the rubber in between the risers and fairing. Fits well...can hardly see them and they don't move.

IMG_20150815_102757_954.jpg