IGNORED

My daughter crashed her bike

ragtop69gs

After reading the title and the description of the crash, I was alittle afraid to read further, but really glad to hear she is doing alrite. Sounds like she has a passion for racing, hopefully she enjoys a safe career.

Craig

Closed course sportbike track, just a good thing she has all the right gear :happy34: She tops 145 mph all the time on the straights. She was accellerating out of a turn when the front tire slipped out on a sealer stripe. She just left here and is just a little sore. :big-grin-emoticon:

Jay, so glad to hear she is not seriously injured! and ..............WOW! Go girl! Most impressive! But I'm really glad she is okay.

Glad to hear she is OK. I also was really worried when I read the title.

I think a racing crash is a lot less dangerous that a road crash. (I must admit I have tried neither and have no plans to test my theory) At least the track makes an effort to be sure there are no trees rocks or other hard things to run into while doing a butt slide, not to mention having all of the right gear on.

I think she should wear the scraped helmet with pride!! It's like, "I survived!"

While it would be cool to wear the scarred helmet, helmets are designed for a single impact, the energy absorbing layer may already be crushed and will not be able to protect in the next crash. The scratches will create a weak spot in the outer shell that also might not be enough left to protect in the next crash.

Since she is racing, there will be a next crash.

Some of the helmet makers you can send in a helmet and they will inspect it to see if it is still safe to use.

But I would keep the damaged helmet to hang on the garage wall as a memento.

Just read this and glad to hear she is OK. The Helmet loss is meaningless. It did its job and is replaceable.

Found what the concern was with stickers on helmets... adhesive on stickers would damage the structural integrity of a helmet shell. The adhesive can react with the material of the helmet and produce a weak spot in the shell. This would change the way the energy from a helmet hitting would dissipate.

Same applies to painting helmets. Wrong type of paint (or solvent) can cause issues depending on what the shell is made of. Manufacturer info included with a new helmet may have warnings.

Got this from the Internet. The Internet never lies.

This has been common knowledge for as long as I can remember. The adhesive and or solvent in paints can compromise the integrity of the material used to make the helmet. As a matter of fact I remember warning labels as far back as the sixty,s on the helmets stating explicit not to paint or attach stickers to the helmet. Just not sure if it still applies given the improvement in materials of recent years.

I hate tar snakes
Me too. Bad enough on the public roads but you would think they would use proper asphalt or even cold patch to make repairs on a track.