IGNORED

Need Help Replacing Rear Shock

I need to replace the rear shock on my 05 RSV. I have ordered an OEM shock since the original lasted 50,000 mi. Any tips or video to walk me thru the process would sure be appreciated.

It's really pretty strait forward, you will need to put the bike up on a lift. A Carbon One lift adapter will work, you'll just have to finagle the bolt out, but it can be done as I have done it this way. You can get to the top bolts by removing the saddlebags and the battery side covers. If memory serves me right the upper nut and bolt is a 17 or 19 mm the lower bolts are 17 mm. Jack the bike up in the air and break the bolts loose. I used a car floor jack under the rear tire to take some of the weight off the assembly, not much just slightly so to move the bolt out. Make sure you remove the schrader valve retaining nut so it will slide out of it's frame mount. Once all the bolts are removed it will pretty darn near fall out. Put it back together in reverse order, the torque on the upper bolt is 43 ft lbs the lower dog bone bolts are 36 ft lbs. If you have any issues my number is in my profile, just call and I can walk you right through it.

Dang you should have asked around. The Hagon would have probably been a beeter buy. Under $500 But the shock removal is as mentioned pretty much 2 bolts drop out bottom. However I did find it easier to loosen the dog bones on the swing arm and get them out of the way. I went ahead and pulled them, cleaned and greasd everything up before putting together.

It's really pretty strait forward, you will need to put the bike up on a lift. A Carbon One lift adapter will work, you'll just have to finagle the bolt out, but it can be done as I have done it this way. You can get to the top bolts by removing the saddlebags and the battery side covers. If memory serves me right the upper nut and bolt is a 17 or 19 mm the lower bolts are 17 mm. Jack the bike up in the air and break the bolts loose. I used a car floor jack under the rear tire to take some of the weight off the assembly, not much just slightly so to move the bolt out. Make sure you remove the schrader valve retaining nut so it will slide out of it's frame mount. Once all the bolts are removed it will pretty darn near fall out. Put it back together in reverse order, the torque on the upper bolt is 43 ft lbs the lower dog bone bolts are 36 ft lbs. If you have any issues my number is in my profile, just call and I can walk you right through it.

I'm grateful for this post Squid, as I too will be replacing my rear shock in the near future! Just have to decide on OEM or Hagon. Have to think simply because of the price I will end up with the Hagon, but we shall see

The Hagon is a good replacement I think for the money. The OEM is a roll of the dice if it will last 10k or 80k. The Hagon is rebuildable. When you install I recommend do it so the clicker (adjuster) is accessible from the right side of the bike. That way when parked on side stand you can have a bit more room to access it. They do certainly ride a bit stiffer than the air shock.

jneer, don't know how I missed this but just now saw your post. I have the Carbon One lift adapter and a lift, floor jack and tools. You are welcome to ride over to my place in Littleton to change your shock. PM me if you wish.

• 2 months later...

The spring perch will pretty much only anjust ride heighth. There is a set screw looking thing on the bottom of the shock, that will become your bump/rebound adjustment now. There should be a allen wrench included with shock purchase.