IGNORED

gas stabilizer

pegscraper

Spring time is here. The bike is back out. I've gone through three or four tanks of gas now, so the gas stabilizer is well flushed out of the tank, carbs, and all the lines. But I still have some remaining unused gas stabilizer in the bottle on the shelf. Is there anything I can do to keep this stuff from going bad before next winter as it sets in the bottle doing nothing? I don't want to find a bottle of gummy varnish that needs cleaned out next winter when it's storage time again. Should I put some gas in the bottle and top it off, so that there's no air in the bottle to break down the gas stabilizer? In short, I just want to know how to stabilize the gas stabilizer for the summer storage months.

I've wondered about that as well. How many years is the stabalizer good for. I bought a large bottle a year ago because it was on sale, I'll have enough for another year or two now. I think as long as you keep the cap on snuggly it will be okay for quite a long time. At least thats what I'm hoping. (Stabalizer for the Stabalizer, to weird)

I get the large bottle, it usually lasts 2-3 years have never had a problem with it going bad, I have an 85 Suzuki I have had since new, never had carbs re-built and it starts and runs like a clock, I always use stabil when storing anything that burns gas. Craig

Spring time is here. The bike is back out. I've gone through three or four tanks of gas now, so the gas stabilizer is well flushed out of the tank, carbs, and all the lines. But I still have some remaining unused gas stabilizer in the bottle on the shelf. Is there anything I can do to keep this stuff from going bad before next winter as it sets in the bottle doing nothing? I don't want to find a bottle of gummy varnish that needs cleaned out next winter when it's storage time again. Should I put some gas in the bottle and top it off, so that there's no air in the bottle to break down the gas stabilizer? In short, I just want to know how to stabilize the gas stabilizer for the summer storage months.

If you are going to top off the bottle with gas so that the stabilizer doesn't break down, DO NOT use gas that is formulated for winter time usage. Stabilizer will only work correctly with gas that is made for summer use. That's why you add it to your summer gas to make it stay workable over the winter months.

I have heard that if you put stabilizer in winter gas (which is still what they have at the gas stations in Indiana), it will blend in so well that come next fall you won't be able to separate the stabilizer out from the gas so that you can add it to the correct summer blend. You'd just be wasting your time and money.

If you are going to top off the bottle with gas so that the stabilizer doesn't break down, DO NOT use gas that is formulated for winter time usage. Stabilizer will only work correctly with gas that is made for summer use. That's why you add it to your summer gas to make it stay workable over the winter months.

I have heard that if you put stabilizer in winter gas (which is still what they have at the gas stations in Indiana), it will blend in so well that come next fall you won't be able to separate the stabilizer out from the gas so that you can add it to the correct summer blend. You'd just be wasting your time and money.

I stabalize my snowmobiles every spring. The snowmobiles have winter gas in them when they are stabalized and I have had no ill effects in the many years I have been doing so. I would assume that everybody with snowmobiles are doing much the same as I am. So at least in the area that I live, winter gas and stabalizer doesn't appear to have any compatability issues.

Hey guys, what is today? For those in Rio Linda, highlight the white space below. How to stabilize left over gas stabilizer? Freezy was wise here, but the rest of you are funny. And that response to Freezy's post... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

April Fool!

I have to confess that I had an unfair advantage. Lynn pm'd me that he had posted an April Fools gag, so I already knew.

However, since I know Lynn personally, it would have been obvious to me anyway. He's just that kind of guy....you gotta watch him or he'll get ya!!

(if not with words, he'll get you with Mustard!) :big-grin-emoticon:

Sorry Lynn....couldn't resist.

Joe

Man, I'm never going to live that down. That was a little late in the year for April Fools too.

Top the bottle off with gas. Yes, without the gas in it, the stabilizer will go bad. They have a symbiotic relationship.

While you're at it, don't forget to rotate your tires front to back this spring, you know, like we do on cars. And get the caster and camber adjustments for the front wheel checked out on your bike, too. Riding the bike with the front end out of alignment will cause the tire to wear badly.

:hurts: :hurts: :hurts:

That summer air/winter air thing was discussed a while back. It was decided that it's actually better to use winter air all year long because winter air, being cooler, is more dense. I'm going to be getting myself a dedicated air compressor with a large enough tank on it so that I can run it in the winter to pump up the tank and it will supply my tire inflating needs all year long. That way I can run winter air all the time.