IGNORED

Speedometer sticking

Anyone have an issue of watching their speedo stick? Mine has been jumping up and down in 5mph increments...then will slowly go up and down individual mph's if I'm using the throttle gradually.

This normal?

If not...nothing I have found in searching for 2nd gen speedo stick....

I would check the sensor in the rear diff to see if there are metal filing stuck to it. If there are I would clean it and drain rear diff oil in clean pan and check for more metal filings. If all looks good refill with new oil.

Since I had the rear end apart for lighting changes, I went ahead and drained the differential oil. Sensor was clean and very little metal filings in oil. But at least now I know the rear end oil is clean and fresh. OH...someone had put a gorilla on the wrench and tightened up the drain and fill plugs! Geesh. Had to use a long breaker bar to get them loose. I torque'd them back on but now curious if they will leak.

So now wondering what else would cause my speed needle to stick as it goes up and down.

This is a digital gauge cluster. Should be no cable. You could trace the cable to see if you can find a connector. If there is a connector take it apart and inspect for dirt or corrosion. Other than that I am not sure what the problem would be. Possibly speed sensor. I don't think speedo is bad it just sounds like speedo is recieving improper signal.

You could be right, Barry. If I can find another 2nd gen rider around at some point...be nice to compare speedos. Just seems weird to watch it. Start moving...nothing...then it jumps 5mph or so...up and down. In all speed ranges.

I do need to trace the sensor wire (thanks sldunker).....the sensor itself was clean as a whistle...as well as the oil it was in. Hopefully it's a dirty connection somewhere...

david

• 2 weeks later...