IGNORED

Not bike related - refrigerator water filter changing

Eck

Bought an LG refrigerator 13 years ago.

For years, I have been pulling the fridge out from the wall, shutting off the water, changing the filter, turning water back on and pushing it back in its place.

Today, I purchased another new water filter. When I got home the end cap didn't look exactly the same as the old one still in the fridge so I asked my wife to get me the book/paperwork on the fridge which she filed 13 yrs ago.

She brings it to me and I looked up the water filter replacement part number and sure enough, I did purchase the correct one.

As I kept reading the instructions on how to change the water filter I find out that I don't need to pull the fridge out and shut the water off..

All I have to do is turn the darn filter 1/2 turn counter clockwise, remove it, insert the new one and turn in 1/2 turn clockwise and I'm done...Didn't take me 30 seconds to change it.

All these years I have pulling the fridge out thinking I had to shut the water off first. The fridge is so heavy the rollers left even marks in the floor linoleum that would never have been there if I read the instructions.

I guess it does pay to read the instructions like my dad told me to do.....dang..he was always right...:stickpoke:

I just gotta put my two cents in....

Our filter works the same way. About a year ago the icemaker quit. I assumed it was going to be a big $$ job. At the same time I noticed that the water had quit. It would give a little squirt then nothing. Eventually we called in a friend who is a major dept store appliance tech. He took a quick look and said the icemaker is working (trying to work) it just isn't getting water. Turns out that there is a small plastic/nylon "thingie" that the filter plugs into and it has a diverter valve. That "thingie" was bad. He ordered a new one and it took him about 15 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one. Everything works great.

Well here's another "fridge" issue that it would be interesting to know if others have experienced.

4 years ago we bought a new Whirlpool fridge with bottom freezer. After a while I started noticing ice buildup on the ledge below the freezer slide out. I'd chip it out and it would build again. Went on-line and found this to be a manufacturing "flaw". The drain system that allows the condensation to drain off to an underneath pan has a rubber "valve" that clogs up because of it's design. To fix it, you have to pull most of the freezer wall panels out including the slide out drawer, melt and clean out all the built up ice where the drain hole is, open up the back of the freezer and clean out the rubber valve and then cut a notch in it so the hole is bigger.

What a PITA of a job that was but at least it's working properly now and no more ice buildup!

Yup And your supposed to run several large glasses of water thru it rite after you change also to get any loose bits of charcoal or whatever they use in them out too.

You are correct. The instructions say to run water thru the system for two minutes after changing the filter. When I started running the water after installing the new filter I could not believe all the black charcoal / debris that came out. Now it is clear as can be..

If you had read the instructions for a woman you would not be married.........

You would still be reading.........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99451[/ATTACH]

I got this book AFTER I got married .... what a waste of money (the book) ... there simply is NO UNDERSTANDING women! That's what the book is really saying.