IGNORED

vanishing clutch fluid

y2krider

A couple of months ago I noticed my clutch lever was getting soft. I checked and the reservoir was almost empty. I checked the floor and didn't see any signs of a leak so I filled it up. I replaced the fluid late last summer so I thought maybe I didn't get the bleeder tightened back but not signs of a leak there. I rode a few hundred miles over the next few weeks and the fluid level went down slowly. I finally got a chance to take a closer look last weekend and there is oil on the clutch pipe right around the rear support bracket. Also there is a very small drip spot on the floor under that point. Evidently only leaking if I pull the clutch so most of it must be on the road somewhere. The bracket is also bent to the rear pretty bad. I don't remember hitting anything so I am wondering if it got bent at some time when I was jacking the bike. I didn't find any oil anywhere else that I could get my hands to so I this weekend I am going to try to get the bike up in the air so I can take a closer look. Anyone here have any ideas.

Normally, I would agree with RagTop 100%, BUT if you did jack the bike up in the wrong spot, you could have ripped or cut the rubber line that goes from the "hard line" mounted on the frame, over to the clutch slave. Once you remove the Inspection Cover rearward of the Stator Cover, (left side of the bike) you will get a pretty clear view of the rubber line I am talking about. Have someone squeeze the Clutch lever, and look for the leak. If you are interested, I can make up a S.S. line for less than the cost of a new stock line. If you do find out it is the Clutch Slave, Replacing the slave is the way to go. Not a hard job, but a little "tight" to get to the screws holding the slave in place.

Earl

Thanks for the input. I got the bike leveled up over the weekend. I straightened the standoff bracket up and wiped everything down. I then squeezed the clutch several times and did not find anywhere where there was fluid oozing, dripping, or anything so I am thinking maybe the slave is the culprit. I have ordered the parts and will update later. Does anyone know if there is a nice post with step by step info for this process? I searched but didn't find anything. It appears to be fairly straightforward but it always nice to have pics and such to refer to.

• 6 months later...

I ran across this post when I first got my Venture, I went out and checked my clutch and brake fluid, both good. I have put 5k miles on my 07 since I got it in May. It has around 25K on it. Well today had a meeting in a town about 20 miles away, great warm weather here, so why not take the baby. I love it when I get paid mileage and the miles are put on my bike. I pulled the bike out of her stable and noticed it had a hard time going into first gear, got around to the drive way, thought maybe I need to check the oil level, well it was good. Something about a wet sump I thought it may effect the shifting...... then I remembered this article, sure enough the clutch fluid is low, real low. But like everything else, no evidence of fluid leak.

So where is the clutch slave cylinder at, where do you buy one, and how hard is it to install?

thanks in advance for advice.

Cowpuc is drinking it. He has an issue with clutch fluid.

First things first,, :moon::stickinouttounge: and a hearty :rasberry:

Also, what little fluid I can see, is dark in color

Larry,, it not uncommon for the fluid to become dark over time as its used - gotten hot (that slave you asked about is right down between the forward bevel and the crank shaft/stator area = REAL WARM!!) - picked up moisture and all that.

Here is good read on slave location and swap. Its a 1st Gen BUT, I am almost positive that Mom Yam didnt relocate the slave on the 2nd Gens like yours so it should be same same.. This was a rebuild on the slave BUT a swap out for new would be somewhat easier, removal is same and less chance of having to redo it if things went south on the rebuild.. Just depends on how far you wanna get into it. A new slave is available to order from any Yam Shop.. Here is that link:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?66302-Slave-Cylinder-Replacement

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I started this and I forgot to post the results. I replaced the slave cylinder and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the input.

One thing to note. It was mentioned somewhere that the seal around the shift shaft will leak a little when the outer cover, which supports the end of the shaft, is removed. It will and if if left overnight that "little" leak can scare the bejeebies out of you when you open the shop door and your baby is standing over a large puddle. The leak stopped as soon as I replaced the outer cover.