IGNORED

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

SapperMedic

I was pulling in the parking garage today, and saw this bike that I didn't recognize. What happened to cause Honda to D/C the Valkyrie Interstate? Did it compete too closely with the Goldwing? Or was it just not reliable and no one wanted it? It looks real PERTY\

While not as severely, I have a hunch that the mighty Valk suffered the same demise as the Rune, the Pacific Coast and maybe even the Cavalcade = just didnt sell well.. Personally, probably like you Sapper, I always LOVED the Valks but not everyone shared in our outlook on bikes..

My next door neighbor had one before he bought his 2012 Ultra Limited and it was to tall for him so I rode it for him a LOT to keep it in running condition (good neighbors do that kind of stuff for each other - he also had a brand new lawn tractor so I would let him cut my grass while Tip and I were maintenanizing his Valk for him - good relationship). It was a 99 if I recall, a Blue one. It had close to 100k on it when he traded it in on his Ultra. Ran great and I think they allowed him 6ish on trade (I was shocked). Anyway, they were great bikes.. Dont know alot about the drive train in them but I think they were basically a Wing drive train.. Could b

I have been wanting a Valk Interstate for some time. Rode a couple and both had growly sounding trannies. Other than that, nice riding bikes and plenty of power. Yes, they have the same drive train as the pre-2001 Wings. I'm currently looking at a 2001 out in Winnipeg. Only has 24,000 miles on it. From my limited knowledge, the 1999 has some issues that were cured with the 2000 & up model. I think they were partially dropped due to the change in engine for the Wing so they revamped it and called it a Rune ... IMHO, that was the "rune" of the Valk (ruin ... pun intended)

Almost bought a real sweet 2000 Valk Interstate a few years ago just before I bought the Wing. It was in Regina, SK. I was just about to hop on a plane and go get it when the guy called me to say he sold it to somebody local that had expressed interest before me. I was real choked. Brian (friesman) had checked it out for me and everything.

And now Honda has brought out a new version of the Valk ... what an ugly POS IMO. Their styling has really gone off the deep end I think.

To show ya differences in taste buds Silv, I would LOVE to take one of those Rune's and see if I could ruin it by wearing it out - I like em :big-grin-emoticon:

Kinda like a lot of folks dont really care for those Vic Visions,, I like those too.. :big-grin-emoticon:

Crown either one with a fresh set of antlers and the highway would be my kingdom!! :thumbsup:

To show ya differences in taste buds Silv, I would LOVE to take one of those Rune's and see if I could ruin it by wearing it out - I like em :big-grin-emoticon:

Didn't say I didn't like the original Rune ... it's a very different bike and I've seen a few done up pretty fancy. There's a Rune club around here ... mostly Asians and they've sunk a lotta change into some of those bikes.

Now THIS version of the Valk I really don't like at all ... it's nothing more than a GW frame/engine with different (and goofy looking) body work. (but that's JMO)

2015Valk.jpg

A little different, but today I stopped off at my independent service shop and there was a '97 Valk Tourer with only 22,000 miles on it in for service. 1500 Goldwing engine, otherwise similar to a RS Tour Deluxe: no fairing or trunk. Owner of the bike is a cop & has 3 cop friends who all bought the same bike and chose this shop for service. Shop owner said they're all from Burbank. I guess all 4 of them have pretty low miles.

Didn't say I didn't like the original Rune ... it's a very different bike and I've seen a few done up pretty fancy. There's a Rune club around here ... mostly Asians and they've sunk a lotta change into some of those bikes.

Now THIS version of the Valk I really don't like at all ... it's nothing more than a GW frame/engine with different (and goofy looking) body work. (but that's JMO)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99210[/ATTACH]

I am with ya on that SilvrT.....not a fan of the new Valkyrie either. Which is surprising as I am usually very open minded to all things on two wheels and a motor (except for e-bikes)

I owned a 1999 Valkyie Interstate for 9 years and it was a great bike and totally bullet proof. I sold it three years ago and bought a 2008 RSTD, because I no longer wanted the weight of the fairing. It essentially is a Goldwing without all of the plastic. Honda stopped production due to low sales.

The RSTD has also been totally reliable and a joy to drive.

I liked the interstate version with small fairing and bags. Probably because they didnt have all the do-dads and was priced so close to GW why would you? I looked at a couple before I got the RSV.

Cowpuc, you sound like my kind of neighbor, a bike that sits too long gets it's feelings hurt.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:,,, YEP,, people that aren't "touched" like you and I will never get it Sapper - I know when I am hanging out with the neighborhood - sitting around a camp fire and I mention that a bike has feelings too and I am usually cut off from the Marshmellow supply :Laugh:

Tippy didnt really get it either until she learned to trust Tweeks for dragging us miles and miles into the Utah mountains,, and out again.. Now she gets it and treats that worn out old sweetheart as just another part of our family (even makes me feed Tweeks before I get to eat when we are traveling - sheeeshh).. :big-grin-emoticon:

Before I bought my new 2002 RSV, I came close to getting a 2001 Valk Interstate but I was concerned about buying a bike that had already been discontinued after only a couple years and finding parts in the future. It still would be a concern if I was looking at a used one. Anyone know if parts are still easy to get for these?

I have been wanting a Valk Interstate for some time. Rode a couple and both had growly sounding trannies. Other than that, nice riding bikes and plenty of power. Yes, they have the same drive train as the pre-2001 Wings. I'm currently looking at a 2001 out in Winnipeg. Only has 24,000 miles on it. From my limited knowledge, the 1999 has some issues that were cured with the 2000 & up model. I think they were partially dropped due to the change in engine for the Wing so they revamped it and called it a Rune ... IMHO, that was the "rune" of the Valk (ruin ... pun intended)

Almost bought a real sweet 2000 Valk Interstate a few years ago just before I bought the Wing. It was in Regina, SK. I was just about to hop on a plane and go get it when the guy called me to say he sold it to somebody local that had expressed interest before me. I was real choked. Brian (friesman) had checked it out for me and everything.

And now Honda has brought out a new version of the Valk ... what an ugly POS IMO. Their styling has really gone off the deep end I think.

@SilvrT, Lori and I will be in Winterpeg in a couple weeks if you need a test pilot