IGNORED

1983 venture starts w/choke wont idle past 20 secs.

Thanks, STeven G. I checked the linkage screw on all carbs, and they are all turned in; can only turn counterclock wise and back them off. Is this normal? Bike only has 7500 miles so cant believe someone adj the carbs that much all ready. Adj. carbs between 1 and 3, and 3 and 4, idle picked up, and have full response at throttle now, of course with choke always off. Full spark at #1 , but warms up slowest. Had friend take bike out, and he stated that power surged at 30 miles an hour. After stopping, and starting take off, bike was medium response, with surge of power again at 30 mph.

So, currently have it with #1 linkage screw backed off one turn, and all others turned in.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven G. , your probably right. Though, I was wanting to try everything else first, do to my LACK of mechanical aptitude. I do this as a hobby. Bolt on , bolt off.

Though, I have now replaced a side cover with stator and gasket. Also, only the number one carb seems to have a vacuum leak, and may work itself out with seafoam in it.

Plus, carbs aren't sync yet. And those linkage screws are all the way in, which doesn't seem correct, so if someone can tell me where to set them to start with, I can start

to adjust the carbs. I thought about adjusting the vacuum between 1 and 2 to see if that would help with vacuum in 1 carb.

Well carbs are somewhat of a different lingo in the sense that one has to understand both the simplicity and the complexity that makes them work((

All of us have to kind of step up so to speak when it comes to understanding what a symptom is or why a carb is out of tune.

I believe an opportunity has been missed when Kevin offered to help you with them. Having someone like Kev showing anyone or sharing their experience is a hard to come-by gift! Perhaps a PM exchange? After which you'll have the confidence to tackle the next set on your own!

Let us know what you decide and we'll pitch in.

On another note, we have won a contract that will likely keep us out of internet reach soon, mentioning this so you don't think I'm ignoring your posts.

Patch

Patch, thanks. I hope I didn't miss communicate with kevin and his help. I would like to have assistance in getting carbs tuned, but I couldn't then, and still cant get my bike

to his place, do to injury. Maybe in 2-3 weeks, I hope to be able to be riding soon. For now, Im learning what I can about ventures, and running the bike 3x a day to get carbs

cleaned. If I had the correct vacuum gauge, I would try and sync carbs.

Until you KNOW the carb jets and passages are clean, there's no sense in trying to synchronize the carbs.

With a bike that has been sitting for years, you need to pull the carbs and do a proper rehab on them. That's a dip or ultrasonic. Sometimes the brass jets/components "green fuzz" up and you need to do a little gentle mechanical cleaning on them as well as a dip/sonic.

Good luck.

Edited by Great White

ok, from S.G.s pics. I didn't find the pilot screw. The only screw there, is to hold the plunger bracket on to the rod that sequences the carbs.

So, I still need to find pilot screw. Have manual, but pic is hard to determine pilot screw with real carb. Even, using a spare set of carbs, cant

determine pilot screw. But, screw I did turn, is always all in, cause holding against rod.

ok, from S.G.s pics. I didn't find the pilot screw. The only screw there, is to hold the plunger bracket on to the rod that sequences the carbs.

So, I still need to find pilot screw. Have manual, but pic is hard to determine pilot screw with real carb. Even, using a spare set of carbs, cant

determine pilot screw. But, screw I did turn, is always all in, cause holding against rod.

pilot idle mixture screw plugged (Large).jpg

No. Any changes it "might" make is equal to all lines you are using. All it does is dampen the vacuum pulses.

Most aftermarket units use either restrictors or a smaller diameter tube a few inches long near the motor end of the tubes.

This is what they look like: http://tinyurl.com/oy223uw

May find them at your local auto store...

• 7 months later...

Priariehammer,

I hope you remember this post. Can you help sync my carbs this year? I had shoulder surgery and 6 months therapy. No riding season!

I hope to get an early start on riding this season. I can borrow a friends trailer to bring the bike over.

Thankyou

Marty

Priariehammer,

I hope you remember this post. Can you help sync my carbs this year? I had shoulder surgery and 6 months therapy. No riding season!

I hope to get an early start on riding this season. I can borrow a friends trailer to bring the bike over.

Thankyou

Marty

Sure. Just call me when you want to do it (need a heads up to clear space in the shop for your rig).

So, what type of air gauge do I need to check /sync carbs with? The one I have bounces all over the place.

I might go out and buy one, since Im getting into working on bikes.

The vacuum restrictors that came with the Motion Pro carb sync tool had holes that were so small, I could barely see them. By the way, I'm not recommending a Motion Pro.
Been goofing around syncing carbs for a fair amount of time, used a mercury mano till it got wrecked by an errant employee.. Played with Vacuum gauges, then picked up an electronic Twin Max - I LOVED the Twin Max - probably the most accurate setup possible. Have played with the Motion Pro and others that style, worked ok (IMHO, gauges are a more versatile and durable) as long as it was new and the slides didnt get sticky.. Latest set I bought and have been using are like shown in the following link. A HUGE part of the reason I bought this particular setup is because of the adapters that came with them and the fact that they have adjustable restricter valves. I have done A LOT of other bikes beside our Yams with these and most of those other bikes (old Honda Wings, Honda SOHC 750's ect.) do not have "nipples" on the intakes to attach to, you have to pull screws from the intakes and screw an adapter in to attach the vac hose to. Some of those manifolds are well hidden - notice the variety of adapter lengths in the gauge set in the link..

IMHO, this little set is the best bang for the buck, especially if your planning to tinker with a variety of other scoots.. Would LOVE to hear others opinions..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vacuum-Carburetor-Synchronizer-carb-sync-Gauge-Yamaha-XS-XJ-1100-1200-/391377479287?hash=item5b1fea6677:g:5O4AAOSwxH1UGRHV&item=391377479287&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the replys.

Prairiehammer, message me a phone number. I got my oil problem fixed. Now, just need to set and sync carbs. I'm trying to get trailer, but now cant get til Friday. I'm still looking for another

trailer to do it sooner if possible. If I can get it running good enough this morning, I was going to try and bring it this afternoon. kinsmd69 hotmail