IGNORED

2nd Gen Air Filter clean and/or replace

alwrmcusn

Does anyone have SPECIFIC info, preferably with photos, of what is required to check/clean/replace the air filters on a 2nd Gen Venture (2009)? I am NOT mechanically gifted but it looks as though there are two bolts to remove, one on top and one on the bottom, along with the adjustable ring thing that attaches to the intake. It also looks like I would need a flexible shaft socket driver.

I have changed mine with out any special tools. When you get the two bolts out that hold the filter you can loosen the clamp to the air duct and remove the box. There is a small rubber hose that hooks to the back of the box but it is not any trouble to unhook or hook back up. As for cleaning or replacing the filter. I have the original filters in my 03. I remove the filters and lightly clean them with mild soapy water and let them air dry till the next day then put them back it.

Yup thats about all you need. I forget if its 8 or 10mm socket. A longer handled phillips screw stick helps because you dont have to get your mitts up under the tank as bad. I have washed out paper filters a few times. Some dish soap in hot water, plunge in a few times then rinse let dry for a day or so.

Went to Lowes and bought a Kobalt flexible shaft nut driver. Without removing or even loosening the fairing lowers I removed the top and bottom bolts on the air filter housing. Used a Philips screwdriver to loosen the clamp on the rubber hose to filter box. Pulled the housing off and removed the screws holding the two halves together. The filters were remarkably clean! No need to wash or replace them. There is a small rubber hose that is apparently not attached to anything but the end of it does go through a metal loop on the filter box. Putting the filter housing back together was a simple reversal of procedures. The entire operation took perhaps 15-20 minutes. I really do not understand why anyone would need to remove the lowers.

Thanks djh3 for confirming what I thought was needed for the removal!!

(No photos needed (smile))