IGNORED

washing the machine

kenw

Hey Guys,

I've got an easy one for you, but the answer alludes me! I live in Georgia where we are water deprived and can't figure out how to get the ride nice and shiny. I was doing some woodwork in the garage, and true to form did not cover it up. I'm afraid of going to the car wash for fear of hitting something hot and cracking a casting or messing up the wiring. I'ts not a high priority question, but your thoughts would be appreciated! By the way I had to give her a spongebath in the garage today!

Thanks,

Kenw:322:

use a leaf blower....when its dry...to blow off most of the wood dust.

When taking a shower, place a bucket on the floor and catch the water in the bucket..

(you can do this to flush the comode too...:whistling:)

Place a bucket at the end of one of the rain gutters and catch rain water...??/

I can't imagine that you would get ticketed for just rinsing off the bike, should take a gallon or two. Make up some suds, Ivory dishwashing liquid is just fine, rinse quick (use air hose if you have one to get most of the dust off first, or the leaf blower is a decent idea). Wash with a wool mitt and rinse. Done in 5 minutes or less.

Detail sprays are also nice for keeping things shiny between washes, but NOT on something really dirty, you WILL put some fine scratches in the paint and chrome.

I am not a fan of these so-called "waterless" wash products. They are usually almost all silicone, and if you use them a lot, once you really wash the vehicle, it will look like it has been sanded! Because that is what you are really doing. Be very careful not to take that waterless wash hype to heart.

I think you would be fine riding the scoot to the Bike Wash. I have never had a single problem with any of my bikes. If it is really dirty.. like maybe you are riding through creeks and pipe lines... with your RSV :think: .... then the car wash is the only way to go!

Lets take a closer look at this issue.

Your not supposed to wash your bike at home because it’s somehow wasting water…But it’s OK to take it to a car wash.:doh:

What’s the car wash using in place of WATER?:think:

Lets take a closer look at this issue.

Your not supposed to wash your bike at home because it’s somehow wasting water…But it’s OK to take it to a car wash.:doh:

What’s the car wash using in place of WATER?:think:

Carwash recycles most of it's water instead of using new water.

Also, what do you do when you're caught in a rainstorm? Do you stop so the bike doesn't get wet? These bikes are made to get wet. Just take it to the carwash.

Guest Popeye

Be very careful of carwashes & leaf blowers. They can shoot water where it's not supposed to be due to pressure & leaf blower can mess things up.

I use a carwash on occassion, but keep some distance to minimize pressure & am careful with 200 mph blower, it can disconnect wires, etc.

Since my carwash is 5 miles away, I have to sit & let the engine cool....I hate that.

I like soapless cleaners on a big sponge, & keep adding water to sponge...then use water in bucket to rinse. Dry immediately.

I have family in Atlanta area & learn about rain barrels, etc.

Carwash recycles most of it's water instead of using new water.

Also, what do you do when you're caught in a rainstorm? Do you stop so the bike doesn't get wet? These bikes are made to get wet. Just take it to the carwash.

Must be a new car wash all the ones I ever used just flush it down the sewer. That's a great idea.

Car Washes are never a good idea, the high pressure used can defeat the seals and push water into places that water should not get into, a low pressure flooding type of wash is the best way to go....I have found the best thing for me in the Mr. Clean Autodry car wash, works great, and once done leave it in the sun for about 15-30 minutes and only need to dry up a little water that collects in stiching in the seat.

Thanks guys,

I'm not alllowed to wash on the street because of the drought, if I did it would leave the old driveway to sewer trail back to me. I guess I'll have to wait until to trees get their leaves and pull it to the back yard!

Thanks,

Kenw:322:

I have used a product called Dry-Wash-Guard for 15 years on my cars and scoot. Have never washed it with water. When people see my ride I get asked how I get it to shine so nice. I can not recommend it high enough.

Check it out!!

http://www.dwgint.com/2007/home.shtml?default=

http://www.waterlesscarwashproducts.com/sc/store.php

http://www.dri-wash.us/