IGNORED

My first IRON BUTT attempt next week

Barrycuda

Good luck Barry. A lot of good advice here. Just stay within yourself. Make sense? Don't try to do it as you think others would but as You would!! I came back from the B2Dads last year and it was a rough trip. A stop under a bridge or on a nice overlook for a few minutes can do wonders for rebuilding energy for me. I keep a extra drink in the bags so I can have something to drink if I pick a spot without a place to get anything. Good Luck!!!

Listen if I can do 778 miles in the rain for 18 hours on my gold wing pulling a trailer stopping for tolls and only riding back roads you should be able to make the 1500 mile ride in less than 24 hours without a problem good luck to you little brother enjoy your ride and get your ass home safe

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, tips and advice. I am excited. I am sure I will have stories and such to tell...

@ brake pad: I am shooting for the SS 1000/BB. 1500 in 36. Going to certainly work on getting my ass home safe big brother :)

@yamagrl: it's basically super-slab. I-75 N to I-10 W to I-12. My planned route has me going as far west as SCOTT, LA which from my home is 750 miles. Will look to get my 1000 miles as quick ( but safe) as possible. I have located fuel stops 175-200 miles per stop. Once I hit 1000 miles, I will most likely stop at a truck stop for a quick nap, then head home...

@Yammer Dan : my West Virginian guardian angel...I hear ya loud and clear. I ride my ride, I have no shame in pulling over, getting home safe is the ULTIMATE goal.

RR is right, it's not a BB1500 in 24. Let me manage this first :)

all this his is weather permitting.

Barrycuda,

There are several members who live close to your planned route.

I live at exit 31 Milton, Fl if you need need anything... rest, help etc. my contact info is up to date on this site.

There is at least 1 more in Pensacola, 1 in Biloxy, ms, RougeRay in Baton Rouge.

Barrycuda,

There are several members who live close to your planned route.

I live at exit 31 Milton, Fl if you need need anything... rest, help etc. my contact info is up to date on this site.

There is at least 1 more in Pensacola, 1 in Biloxy, ms, RougeRay in Baton Rouge.

Thank you kindly yamagrl. I will bring my Ipad, in case I need to call upon anyone. I appreciate the heads up !!!

My second SS1000 only took 17 hours vrs 1st at 21 hours. Was short daylight winter ride. Couple of things.

I carried 2 gallon gas can and instead of getting off the freeway for the first stop I used the 2 gallons. That allowed me only 1 gas station stop in 500 miles. huge time saver. I carried with me pb&J sandwiches, bananas, nuts and power bars in my tank bag and ate while riding. I have two water bottle holders and used both with reserve water in my side case. Doing all that I averaged 74 mph for the first 510 miles - riding at steady 78 mph. Not using the 2 gallon gas can on the last 510 miles - and that it was dark from 5pm to midnight my daily average speed for 1028 miles in 17 hours is 60 mph. That was eating on the bike, cool enough to not drink a lot so limited 'physical' breaks, and skipping a gas station. riding at cruise control 78 (daytime) on the GPS I averaged 60mph. The only way to do a better mph average for the whole thing is to have more daylight. Higher cruise speed is not the way to go faster but eliminating "non riding" time is. I normally tell other riders to expect to average 50 mph for an average day riding 400-600 miles. Taking your time to enjoy the ride, take a photo or two, stop to smell the roses, eat a 30 minute lunch etc gets you 50mph, but even with hustle, over the course of 17 hours, 60 is about it. Hope this helps with anyone's planning.

VentureFar...

Lucky for Barry he has a Goldwing now so a little larger fuel capacity and MPG.

all of the tips help. The problem Im facing now is Im so amped up, that I need to slOOOO down my brain and sleep. Weather earlier in the week looked like trouble, but now it seems mainly cloudy. temps to drop tomorrow night/ saturday morning. Have my proper gear. I'll keep Y'all posted. !!