IGNORED

Meeting Venture riders....

videoarizona

Puc, the backrest you have shown is the same as one I have removed from an 84. It also requires the 83-84 crash guards to mount and in my opinion is not considered a quick release as it screws on unlike the venture line model which you pull a clip and easy removal. The one you show will possibly end up as a pay it forward as I do not find it nearly as elegant as the ventureline backrest. I suppose it is a matter of opinion.

Puc, the backrest you have shown is the same as one I have removed from an 84. It also requires the 83-84 crash guards to mount and in my opinion is not considered a quick release as it screws on unlike the venture line model which you pull a clip and easy removal. The one you show will possibly end up as a pay it forward as I do not find it nearly as elegant as the ventureline backrest. I suppose it is a matter of opinion.

I was gonna pay it forward all the way to VideoAZ's front door if he could use it Bren :rotfl:

Kevin, according to your pictures....KIC's backrest has a Mk2 pad on a MkI mount?

Somehow this is confusing...since the backrest pad matches my 1989 Mk1.2 seat...with straight lines. And the mount that he has also installed directly to my passenger grab rails without issues.

I have to say...took another ride today to store and found the rear two positions for the backrest are comfortable for me...in both sit up and relax mode with feet on highway pads...

I think this will be the style backrest for me. If I mount/dismount the bike on high side, it's easier to get my boots over the seat. Un-nerving for me but gotta learn to let the sidestand do it's job...

IMG_20150210_120707_800.jpg

Kevin, according to your pictures....KIC's backrest has a Mk2 pad on a MkI mount?

No, KIC's backrest is a VentureLine 1986-1993 backrest, complete with MKII (1986-1993) appropriate pad and mounts.

The MKI pad has a diamond pattern. And the VentureLine MKI backrest mounts to the saddlebag crash bars.

David... you and KIC have MKII bikes. Simple swap.

I don't understand the confusion.

:Im not listening to

See, now that looks totally different than the rails on my 87,, I wonder if the backrest and mounts off an 83 would fit it? Did you have to take the mounts off KICs bike to put that on yours Dave? The way that rest is mounted to mounts is different than both my 87 and the 83.. :think:

Puc, there were more than one manufacturer of Venture rider backrests, back in the day. It sounds like you have a MARKLAND backrest installed on your bike. The MARKLAND utilizes a sliding tubular adjustment. The VENTURELINE (by Drag Specialties) uses the diamond shaped holes in the bracket to adjust fore and aft.

The MOUNTING BRACKETS are different for the VENTURELINE MKI and MKII. The MOUNTING BRACKETS are different for the MARKLAND MKI and MKII. (Yes, I am shouting). To further complicate the identification issue: there are two different styles of MARKLAND backrests; one style uses screws that have to be removed and replaced to adjust fore and aft and the other uses the aforementioned sliding adjustment.

I have a VENTURELINE on my 1991 (identical to KIC's (and soon to be David's) and I had a MARKLAND on my 1990. I removed the MARKLAND on the 1990 because I could not obtain enough fore and aft adjustment (needed more 'aft') with the Markland.

The Markland I have is for sale. It is for a MKII Venture and will not fit a MKI Venture.

Clear as mud?

Puc, there were more than one manufacturer of Venture rider backrests, back in the day. It sounds like you have a MARKLAND backrest installed on your bike. The MARKLAND utilizes a sliding tubular adjustment. The VENTURELINE (by Drag Specialties) uses the diamond shaped holes in the bracket to adjust fore and aft.

The MOUNTING BRACKETS are different for the VENTURELINE MKI and MKII. The MOUNTING BRACKETS are different for the MARKLAND MKI and MKII. (Yes, I am shouting). To further complicate the identification issue: there are two different styles of MARKLAND backrests; one style uses screws that have to be removed and replaced to adjust fore and aft and the other uses the aforementioned sliding adjustment.

I have a VENTURELINE on my 1991 (identical to KIC's (and soon to be David's) and I had a MARKLAND on my 1990. I removed the MARKLAND on the 1990 because I could not obtain enough fore and aft adjustment (needed more 'aft') with the Markland.

The Markland I have is for sale. It is for a MKII Venture and will not fit a MKI Venture.

Clear as mud?

Heyyy, Hi Kev, sorry we missed your phone call a bit ago (snuck out and got lunch:fatsmiley:)..

I am following you on the back rest ID.. Thanks a zillion for clearing that up, get so much of this stuff laying around in the old parts pile out back it gets hard to know exactly what will fit what.. I appreciate the information Kev!

Puc

Clear as mud?

Great chatting with you a while ago Kev! Thanks for the time my friend, again - hoping to get to shake your hand at Don's Maintenance Day in Oberlin:fingers-crossed-emo

Here are a couple of shots of my first bike (trying to stay within those old unwritten rules), that frame shot is all that remains of it BUT - take a look at the donor bike we picked up to rejuvenate the old girl (the red one with me being, obviously, a little older).. The frame pic was easy for me to take as its setting right in my basement, if you ever get a chance to snap a shot of your 1st bike, that good ol Honda 750, and you think of it, :photographing: of it will you? Be honored to see it!!

VideoAZ, if your reading this,, I hope I didnt get you to twisted up on the whole backrest thing.. Prairie has got me up to speed on your situation - GLAD to hear your taken care of out there!! You get a chance, PLEASE join us at Don's!! :thumbsup:

DSCN2799.JPG

DSCN0510.JPG

DSCN2512.JPG

DSCN2509.JPG

DSCN2507.JPG

I agree that it is a Ventureline back rest. It is identical to the one on my 89 and is off of my 87.

David, the Venture owner from Montana that I met and told you about is coming over Saturday morning to replace his carb diaphragms at 8:30. Then we will sync his carbs. If you want to sync your carbs you are welcome to come by.

Bill

Hi Bill,

May have to take a rain check if it rains! Also, Tombstone is also having their Vigilante Days - February 14, 15, 16, 2015.

Which includes a chili cookoff....hmmm...may have to Venture far and wide and go eat!

I will call you if I can make it up. Thanks!!

david

UPDATE: Will be able to come up Saturday. PM me address and time I should show! :banana:

Edited by videoarizona
UPDATE

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well..we met and sync'd the carbs on my bike. As usual, I forgot to pull the camera out until after our visitor VR rider came by. Nice guy! Hope he comes on-board and says "Hi"! Bill worked on his carbs and got them cleaned up a bit but still wouldn't start. We agreed his TCI may need a look-see to check it out as timing seems to be the issue now...

So here's two pics of Bill (the young one) and I (silver haired and better looking! :cool17:) At an unknown location just finished working on my scoot.

BIll & David a.jpg

Bill & David b.jpg

Hey Dave. How did the bike run ? Your carbs were really close anyway so it shouldn't have made that big of difference . My drive to DC was a real adventure having followed that ice storm all the way . Kim did sign up here awhile back when I first met him .

Just wondering, or is it wandering... ?

UPDATE:

Well..we met and sync'd the carbs on my bike. As usual, I forgot to pull the camera out until after our visitor VR rider came by. Nice guy! Hope he comes on-board and says "Hi"! Bill worked on his carbs and got them cleaned up a bit but still wouldn't start. We agreed his TCI may need a look-see to check it out as timing seems to be the issue now...

So here's two pics of Bill (the young one) and I (silver haired and better looking! :cool17:) At an unknown location just finished working on my scoot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97547[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97548[/ATTACH]

Hey there Mr. Video man - AWESOME PICS!! Looks like you guys are getting er done! Thank you for giving us the honor of sharing that WARM hearted gathering with us!! WAY COOL!! :thumbsup:

Mr Visitor man, if you are reading this, we would be thrilled to make the acquaintance of another friend of Davids, any friend of that rascals is a future friend of ours for sure - jump on here and say Howdy!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey Dave. How did the bike run ? Your carbs were really close anyway so it shouldn't have made that big of difference . My drive to DC was a real adventure having followed that ice storm all the way . Kim did sign up here awhile back when I first met him .

Just wondering, or is it wandering... ?

Bill,

Bike runs fine. Do think I'll look into my diaphrams soon...though...since mine are 25 years young and you've convinced me to look them over!

Didn't know Kim had joined...haven't heard from him on-line or on phone yet.

Guess you did have an adventure driving East! Following an ice storm can be "fun"! Be safe...hollar when you get back in town...

david