IGNORED

Resurrecting my '87 from a 5 year hibernation, I could use some advice

I got a Great deal on a set of '86 Carbs that turned out to be in really good shape. The most important thing is all the Pilot Screws work fine I was able to screw them all the way tight and remove them completely, had I enough brains to do that when I first bought the bike I would have saved me a lot of screwing around with this backfire BS. I am now in the process of disassembling the Carbs exchanging the new pieces from the older Carb, once I get everything cleaned and adjusted I feel the backfire issue will be a thing of the past. I have to thank Dave for his offering the '86 Carb's available and at a great price, he has saved my bike. I can't wait to get them back on the old Girl and see how she runs, but My Mom is hitting a rough patch in her health and she takes up a large chunk of my time, she's a great lady and deserves every second of my time

Edited by Vonwolf

• 1 month later...

I finally got time to reinstall the carburetors and airbox, but nothing else and the bike starts right up, idles perfectly and rev's up great. I still haven't had time to balance the carburetors, work on setting the pilot screws, I didn't even have to set the idle and the motor runs really well. I'm getting a few pops here and there, but I'm sure I'll be able to work most of that out. The best thing is I'm convinced the motor is running strong and more importantly it is ging to start when I want it to, now back to the dozens of other issues I need to address to get it back on the road. No small endeavor this time of year working outdoors in this tropical paradise

With my carb problems over I look into the ageing TCI and after I opened it up found that 8 diodes had exploded so I ordered the diodes should get them nex week, I hope I can save my TCI, we'll see. While I'm waiting for the diodes now would be a good time to tackle the rear breaks, the front breaks and the clutch were an easy fix so I was hoping the rear would also turn out simple? Well not so much the master cylinder had transformed into one solid block of aluminium completely fused together and the reservoir's 2 screws for the lid were, of course stripped out I had to drill them out big fun. I fixed the reservoir but the rubber gasket is fully expanded and will no longer collapse into itself making it useless. I guess I need the whole setup master cylinder and reservoir if anyone has one they don't want anymore let me know

• 5 weeks later...

Might as well update things, I think my TCI problems are behind me now after a whole lot of unnecessary experimenting, wasted time and money the way it normally goes on a budget. I first tried to repair my original TCI as the diodes were all turned to white powder. I'm a carpenter/ home builder by trade my soldering skills might not be the best, but I got things done. I got the motor to run great on 3 cylinders but the number 2 just would not run, it got spark but just wasn't carrying its load. I'm sure those burned out diodes did the TCI no good so I'm sure just my sloppy soldering skills weren't enough to bring it back to complete functionality. A replacement TCI seemed to be needed so on to eBay where I got one for a good price. It looks to be in good shape, much better that mine, but turned out to be a brick. Naturally the seller would not stand behind his product so I had to turn to Ebay, I accepted a %50 refund offer because I was dying to see what the board looked like with the hopes of fixing it. Not likely, I don’t know how it can look so good on the outside and be so messed up on the inside, but she was burnt badly, I’m still going to replace what I can, but I don’t hold out much hope for it. Strike one!

I found another TCI still priced reasonably so I placed a snipe and left it alone. I turned out to win that and while I was waiting for it to be delivered I thought I’d change out the spark plug cap and wire as it was giving me a good jolt when I’d pull it to see if the RPM dropped. The bike now runs on all 4 cylinders probably for the first time sense I have owned it. The new TCI arrived Monday and Wow I’ve only seen pictures of units that look this nice, it’s defiantly my main unit and the original is the backup. I know the smart thing to do is check the diodes before they do go bad, but this thing is nice and I messed up one foil lead on the original board (Not real good solder skills) I don’t want to mess this one up although I was able to fix the foil by soldering in a wire to bypass it and they both work great-http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/vonwolf1/IMG_0002%20Marked.jpg

So I just have to put the rear brake back on and start putting things back together, after I paint things. Lots of work left, but I'm sure the motor is going to start every time and it runs great. I wasn't ging to do anything to a near 30-year-old bike if it wasn't dependable. I just realized I've never posted a picture of her when I first got her-

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/vonwolf1/BUw9g3gCGkKGrHgoH-EYEjlLl0H2jBKPNQYDSnw_12.jpg

It's a terrible color and I let it sit covered up for years because of the old 2 brush starter and all the nonsense that caused so the poor bike's not as shiny as it was. I hope with a decent paint job it will look as good as it runs

IMG_0002 Marked.jpg

!BUw9g3gCGk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl0H2jBKPNQYDSnw~~_12.jpg

Edited by Vonwolf

Gee and I was just gonna say I liked that color.

If you looked at it up close you'd change your mind, it looked like he used a paint brush on most of it. Actually all the work I have in her I probably should have left it alone I could have learned to like it too, but I never do anything the easy way

I finally got around to painting the fairing pieces with Jet Black lacquer base coat/clear coat, it came out ok, nothing like I'm going to win any shows ar anything, but it looks good for being mostly a pile of cracks and other repairs. I suspended the pieces from the ceiling so I could do them all at once and it worked well for the most part-

IMG_0003.jpg

Of course one piece, the false fuel tank not only fell it landed paint side down-

IMG_0004.jpg

Looks nice, right? I used all my paint sooo it looks like it's going to be repainted with a couple of spray cans till I get around to the rear bags and trunk when I have to buy more paint. The sad thing is the tank was already painted black and looked ok I just wanted it all to match. I'll get it right someday I'm sure

OH bummer. I hate when that happens.

If you are real lucky, the black underneath is still ok and you can wet sand most of the crud out of the clear. Maybe touch up with a clear buzz bomb.:confused24:

That's what I was hoping for, but some of the junk wicked the lacquer thinner out of the clear coat and melted its way to the primer. I have lots of sanding to do, at least its not a very big part and who looks at the top of these bikes anyway? I'm sure no one will notice

This bike always rode mushy even back when the class would pump the shocks up around 70 -75 lbs (rear) and I never could get the center stand down to an angle where it would catch enough to pull the bike up on it the bike just sat low, it always took 2 of us to get it on the stand and I'm plenty big enough to do it. I always figured the rear shock was shot, but I look at it like if I ignore it then it will go away. I can't ignore it any longer I guess so I checked the rear shock by disconnecting the pressure line and shooting about 110pounds of compressed air from my shop compressor and as I suspected the shock didn't inflate at all. The bike is all apart so I guess I have to shovel my way down to the rear shock so I can figure out why it's not taking any air maybe I'll get lucky and the hose will be blocked somehow, but I really doubt it. The bike has sat for 4 or 5 years, but I really don't think it ever worked. I could always sit flat footed when it was stopped and it never raised higher it didn't matter how much air was in there. I can’t really think of any reasons that the shock won’t inflate like this, it just won’t take any air; it’s not leaking air rather stopping from filling the shock. But I don’t know much about these shocks so maybe this is more common than I’d expect. It won’t kill me if I have to replace it, but with only 36000 miles I think it would be more durable than that

Edited by Vonwolf
repeating the same words

That would be great David, but while my CLASS system definitely has some issues I wanted to check the shock because the bike sits so low and is so mushy I knew something had to be wrong. I'm airing the shock directly into the splice before the CLASS compressor it's like a Schrader valve without the part in the middle so the air comes right back out. No matter how long I keep the compressor hooked up the shock doesn't seem to inflate, the bike doesn't raise at all and when I take the air chuck off just a little poof of air is released, its not like I'm discharging a bag full of air just the air that's in the line. I can't figure out how to get to the top bolt off the shock without taking the wheel/gas tank or every other thing in the way, but I haven't had much time to look at it before the sky opened up and drenched me.

One other disaster has reared its ugly head as I tried to remove the right muffler, yes the nipple broke off at the collector, a bit of a nightmare I suspected might be the cause of some of my backfire issues. I hope there is enough material left so I can have another nipple welded back in place, but I was too busy throwing tools around to really get a good look at it. Now I have to wrestle the damn bike up on the center stand as the bike lift works right there making it impossible for me to get to the collector, this bike is coming dangerously close to getting buried in the back yard next to my old EX 750

Edited by Vonwolf

What is the rebound damping set at? That would affect how easy the shock moves more than how much air is in the body. The air would affect the ride height, though. I sit flat footed on mine, but the height is perfect for both the side stand and the center stand. Have you checked the linkage arms for loose or worn bushings? I don't believe your '87 would have the grease fittings from the factory, so maybe they are dry.

It really makes no difference what the dampener is set to it just stays the same old mushy ride, I don't beleave it has any effect on the ride at all. I haven't seen anything broken down, but I can't rule out it might be the wrong centre stand because it isn't even close to any useful angle there is no way it will flip down like a normal center stand. Hell, the bike hardly sits high enough for side stand to work, when it's down the bike is almost straight up vertical, you could push it over with one finger. I'll have to look for the grease fittings, things seem to get kind of tight up in there

• 2 weeks later...

With a broken exhaust collector that I could easily repair, I was watching EBay for a good deal just in case something disasters popped up when I removed it. I came across what looked like a good deal on a complete exhaust system for $105 with shipping, the chrome looked much better than mine so I thought I'd give it a shot.

New Set Up.jpg

I don't really like selling things, but I've seen parts in much worse condition than mine selling on Ebay so I might be able to get some of my money back and have a better-looking bike out of the deal.

I also picked up a rear shock off a standard venture that looked to be in good shape. I liked the idea of having the choice to hook my CLASS up or just air it up manually as it seems 30-year-old electronics have a habit of failing at just the right moment, so now I have a backup plan just in case. I desoldered the net TCI I just got and was surprised to see all 8 diodes looked like new modern diodes might be more reliable, but no way was I going to mess with them. I don't know where this TCI came from, but it was well-maintained that's for sure.

Rear Shock FleBay.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey Vonwolf, What happened to the project ? Looks like last post was 2009. I have read all your posts and am left hangin. Now working on similar problems...my 84 Venture sat 8 years, runs on choke only, getting down to the Pilot/Idle jets, acts like starving for gas, wondering if fuel pump is sending enough pressure. One of your comments seemed to indicate you could see the Pilot "screws" before pulling the carbs off and you lost me. Looking for comments from anyone.............