IGNORED

Friend crashed his RSTD

Venturous Randy

Well, my buddy with a 98 RSTD took a ride Sunday with his girlfriend and came upon a stopped car in the road and hit his rear brake too hard and it locked up. He hit the car and went down. He got a good bruise on his thigh and his girlfriend did not get hurt. They were lucky.

On the bike, it bent the right driving light, the headlight ring and really messed up his front fender. I am trying to help him get some parts together and was wondering about the differences on an RSTD and a RSVenture front fender. It does not appear to have damaged his forks and he was able to ride it home after bending the fender away from the tire and it appeared to track straight.

Any info you can send this way is appreciated.

Randy

We got him a front fender from Pinwall from an 05 RSV for about $90 with free shipping. We are still looking for some light parts.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

One thing that this has done for me is on my 83, I am upgrading the forks and rotors to MKII, along with R6 calipers and SS brake lines and I was on the fence about delinking. Given I have put about 150,000 miles on this bike, I have decided I will stay with the linked brake system. It has worked well for me and have never had a problem with locking up the rear wheel, as many have done on 2nd gens and RSTD's.

Randy

We now have the fender and the passing light. He still needs a headlight bucket with a trim ring, or at least a trim ring. Does your light still have the trim ring? If you do, let me know what you need for it.

Thanks for your help.

Randy

Sorry to hear about your buddy and his girl friend. I've thought long and hard about whether or not Im gonna give anyone a ride on the back after my little spill... If I'm to get hurt that's one thing but Id feel really bad about someone on the back getting hurt.

Glad they're both ok and I hope she wants to keep riding!