IGNORED

The Great VR Scavenger Hunt

DocO

Where is everyone? Every time I think about getting a picture of the temp, I get turned off by t he suddenly cold temps. In January, I will be overjoyed to find a 40 degree day and will go riding, but for now, 40 is toooooooooo (sorry about the o's) cold!

Will be raining for the next few days, so won't be getting that pic till next week. For now, let's keep trying to get a picture of a temperature readout plus you and your bike. Since I have been given authority, how about we say the FIRST picture like this wins, and sets a new target, no matter what the temp. For now I would love to see a picture of 80+ degrees....how about you riders from the South and West?

OK, how about this for something everyone should be able to get:

You and your bike, and something to do with the holidays, a Santa display, reindeer, Frosty (snowman), Christmas tree, nativity scene etc. A severely overdecorated house would be worth bonus points! :snow: Snow in the picture double bonus points, a LIVE Santa or Reindeer triple bonus points!

Happy Holidays everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, is nobody riding these days? Target should be easy to get Just some sort of holiday display/ornaments etc. I know we all should have those WAY over decorated homes in our areas. I have seen several the past few days. Let's get the hunt going again.

Merry Christmas everyone (or Happy Holidays).

Who is up for a New Years ride in Central IL?

Don

If I could get them to stop putting things like rain, snow and freezing rain in the forecast so that I can get the bike out, then I am sure I can find something. They keep putting all of that stuff in the horrorcast but it never happens, but I have to respect it because I do not want to have to risk doing 40 miles on icy roads.

At the end of this month the law requires that I park the bike till Feb.:crying:

That is really odd. I guess they figure it is too cold and you don't need to be going anywhere? In Illinois they just don't want you to use it for daily use or business. And that depends on the local police. If they see you driving around on antique plates every day, they may stop you, but otherwise, they don't care, and there are no restrictions other than that. If you need to get service or gas in January, would they ticket you?

There is a provision where you can buy a special use permit to be able to drive it to say a paint shop and back. If you are not driving it you should not need to go for gas. There is no restriction on daily use here, just the January restriction. The law also states that you MUST have another vehicle with regular plates to be able to get the collector plates. So the collector vehicle can not be your only or primary vehicle. I have found out that every state has drastically different rules for collector vehicles.

Well, I bet the entire group of Wisconsin motorcyclists and collector car clubs can 't wait for the February 1st show season to start! :rotfl:

And I thought Illinois was eccentric? (and we are, and we don't even have a great cheese industry!). :crying:

So I guess you will have to trailer your bike to all the Illinois January shows?

OK, OK, enough, just kidding.

Edited by dynodon

It has been decent 50 degree weather the last two days and I have been down with the flu or something. Usually hits me for 4 days every year.:bang head: I guess it would be asking too much for it to hit on a lousy snow day where no riding or working outside or in the garage is possible.

There is a provision where you can buy a special use permit to be able to drive it to say a paint shop and back. If you are not driving it you should not need to go for gas. There is no restriction on daily use here, just the January restriction. The law also states that you MUST have another vehicle with regular plates to be able to get the collector plates. So the collector vehicle can not be your only or primary vehicle. I have found out that every state has drastically different rules for collector vehicles.

Michigan has Historic plates with restrictions like that, thats why I have "Authentic" plates on mine. An authentic plate is a plate of the same year as the car was manufactured. When I got mine for the 69' Buick GS it cost $35 and is good for as long as I own the car. They have since changed the law and now they have to be reregistered every 3 years, I'm grandfathered in under the old law. :cool10: With the Authentic plate I don't have the driving restrictions of the Historic vehicle plate.

In Illinois if you have historic plates (they only have one category) you are allowed to put Illinois plates from the same year as the car as long as you carry the assigned plates with you. They are good for 5 years. Not a bad deal. My '57 Chevy has red '57 Illinois plates. They don't even require you to let them know what number is on the plate.

In Illinois if you have historic plates (they only have one category) you are allowed to put Illinois plates from the same year as the car as long as you carry the assigned plates with you. They are good for 5 years. Not a bad deal. My '57 Chevy has red '57 Illinois plates. They don't even require you to let them know what number is on the plate.

With our authentic plates I had to photocopy the plate, send it to a special DMV office where they record & issue the the registration on the plate.

• 3 weeks later...

bummer, we had perfect weather Wednesday (for Illinois anyway, in January) of 55 degrees, and I got out for two rides, one including my wife on her bike along for companionship. And I forgot totally to get a pic of a mom n pop store, sure I went by a couple.

Hey all you "good" weather folks in the south and West, get on your bikes and get this hunt going again! :stickpoke::stirthepot: