IGNORED

Ignition woes (maybe)≥÷

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came home to no spark.:sign67:

:bang head:

I don't know, folks. Guess I'll try pickup coils next.

Somebody may be fixin' to get a Venture cheap...

There is a connector between the pick-up coils and the TCI. Confirm that this connector is good. Check pick-up coil resistance at this connector and again at the TCI connector. There should be no variation in the two readings.

IMG_4460.jpgIMG_4461.jpgIMG_4463.jpg

Upon further inspection, found what looks like gold metal flake paint on the inside of the stator cover. It's flaking off and definitely magnetic. PO had painted the outside, plus some other parts. Guess he got a good bit of overspray on the inside of this. Who knows.

IMG_4464.jpg

Also found some phenolic chips from the stator floating around, very small pieces, so not worried about that. But this cover is definitely bodged, PO also overtorqued the stator screws, had to use my impact driver to get two most of the way out. So shopping for a cover now.

Edited by flyday58
additional info

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Ignitech is on its way back to the Czech Republic. There's an internal problem causing the ignition to shut down as the box warms up, I'm thinking a loose solder on one of the ground pins. I can apply pressure to the receptacle and get the bike to fire up, remove the pressure and it quits.

Installed the replacement stator I got off ebuy. Started right up. Was installing fairing parts in prep for a test ride when it quit. ( Need a smilie for unremitting cursing riiiiight aboooout here). Went inside and had lunch. And cried. Almost.

Came out 20 minutes later and it started. Now I'm back to the Ignitech so I went to pull it off the air cleaner where it's Velcroed and it quit. Hmm.

I disassembled the harness plug and inspected the female connectors; the blue grounds were both loose on the male pins so I thought that was it. Alas, 'twas not to be. I did verify that, with either blue wire not connected the bike wouldn't fire. But after crimping the female pins so they were gripping the pins well and reassembling the plug, she quit on me about a half mile from the house. More foul words here.So that led to the applying pressure to the receptacle that allowed me to get the bike to run or quit depending on the pressure. Ignitech has a two year warranty so hopefully they will cover this, other than shipment to the Czech Republic. I bought a TCI on ebuy yesterday so I'll have a spare for troubleshooting and emergencies.

:mo money::mo money::mo money: Good thing I know where the wife keeps the money tree. Made of plastic, for some reason...

Update bazillion and 2: pony'ed up some righteous Somalians for a Yamaha TCIasaurus off ebuy and got in a 90-mile ride today through Jackson and Harrison Counties in Ole Miss. Bike didn't miss a beat. Only two small issues: the speedo cable would intermittently start screeching fairly loudly, and seemed to use more gas than I woulda thunk.

The speedo was steady the whole time, and the noise would go away below 40. Sometimes hitting a bump would make it stop, and if I wiggled the gauges it would change pitch. Pulled the innards and regreased; which way does it go, top down or bottom up? It was bottom up so I inserted it from the top, thinking maybe the drive was partially dropping out causing the screech.

The fuel may not be an issue, i haven't ridden it far enough yet to tell how much mpg I'm getting. How many miles y'all average per tank?

When the Ignitech gets back from the Czech Republic, this TCI will be my live spare. Thanks to all to offered insights on this one, misery loves company.

:7_6_3[1]::group cheers:

The speedo screech is not from the cable. It is a dry bearing in the speedo head. you need to stuff some grease up into the head.

There was a member making an adapter that screwed onto where the cable goes into the speedo and had a grease zerk on it. I have one if you can get here. Some one closer may have one. Or just use patience and shove grease up there with your fingers.

Riding with the screech will quickly destroy the speedo. Once that goes you will also lose the self canceling turn signals and the cruise control.

okay....what model is the eBay TCI and where is your vacuum signal for the pressure sensor connected?

Neil, it's the standard 26H model Yamaha TCI, vacuum is hooked up as original, on the #2 carb intake joint. Paid way too much for the TCI but had to have it.

The speedo screech is not from the cable. It is a dry bearing in the speedo head. you need to stuff some grease up into the head.

There was a member making an adapter that screwed onto where the cable goes into the speedo and had a grease zerk on it. I have one if you can get here. Some one closer may have one. Or just use patience and shove grease up there with your fingers.

Riding with the screech will quickly destroy the speedo. Once that goes you will also lose the self canceling turn signals and the cruise control.

Thanks Jeff, I'll get on that now. Hmm, Cudahy. That's up near Jackson MS, right? Don't see it on guggle maps...

:whistling:

This is what I did many years ago and has worked great. It is cheap and easy to do.

Randy

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/first-generation-venture-tech-talk/36254-lubing-speedo-1st-gen.html?highlight=Lubing+Speedo

When you say #2 carb intake joint.....do you mean on the intake runner where the other 3 have caps...or a nozzle on the carb.

Does your bike have a nozzle sticking out of the #2 carb body, thats where a 26H TCI system (with pressure sensor)needs to read vacuum.