IGNORED

Ebay fuel pump for RSV 24.99 anybody used one?

pbjman

Don't need one now, but have one needing to be rebuilt, where can I get a kit to rebuild it.

What's wrong with yours that you need to rebuild it? I would be interested to see if there is a kit for that. Yamaha has a part number for the whole pump assembly, but I could not find a breakdown of the pump with parts. Mine started dumping fuel from within, it was coming out of the seams of the pump body. (see pic where I am pointing.) I pried it apart and there was a round metal washer with a round thin red (rubber?) gasket between the two halves. I put some gasket goop in there just to see what would happen and it still leaked after put it back together and hammered the little tabs back down.IMG_2940.jpg

I think I may go ahead and order the $25 pump. It looks to be a copy of OEM so no mods like the Mr Gasket pump requires. If it fits and works without leaking, I will probably order another to carry as a spare. Cheap insurance, and direct-fit so would be an easy roadside swap if needed.

Edited by pbjman

I think it was Condor that ordered one so I imagine he will check in here sometime soon and let you know. I think as a spare it might be fine, but I don't think it has a check valve like the stock one to prevent leakage past a needle valve into the engine when stopped. just remember to turn off your petcock when stopped.

Brian

there is another thread about this and in it COndor posts that the tubes are the wrong size and he is returning it, but he also posted a link to order the points from , ill try to find the thread.

Yeah I think you'll find that thread if you search "eBay fuel pump", but I've already ordered one so I'll report on it once it arrives.

New Fuel Pump Came Today For 24.99

Mine came yesterday; have you played with yours yet? The stems on mine are for a larger diameter hose than the stock pump, but I have done some fiddling around with things and I will make a new thread about that soon!

Mine came yesterday; have you played with yours yet? The stems on mine are for a larger diameter hose than the stock pump, but I have done some fiddling around with things and I will make a new thread about that soon!

As Brian already mentioned, that's what I experienced a few months back when I tried one out. Notified the seller that it wouldn't fit the bike without re-plumbing, and he told me to keep it and issued a full refund. I was going to take a pic for comparison purposes alongside an OEM, but dang if I could find it in the stash.... I did order 3 of the point sets, and they work as advertised....

YES The Stems are Larger

I made a thread in the 2nd Gen Tech Discussion about a bunch of fuel pump related stuff, including quite a bit

about this Ebay fuel pump.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/second-generation-venture-tech-talk/92128-pbjmans-thread-fuel-pump-rebuilding-gravity-feed-cheap-ebay-fuel-pumps.html

But a quick summay is that the fuel inlets are bigger, so to use it you would have to be able to cram them into the fuel lines on the motorcycle (which I did not attempt) or make small adapters to fit (I did do this, see the thread). Also, the one I have does not prevent the fuel from passing through when bike is parked (no check valve) so it would be a good idea to turn off the petcock when parked if you are using this pump.

For me, I have decided this is a good temporary/spare pump and will probably keep it packed on the bike somewhere in case I, or someone else on a group ride, have need for it.

IMG_2957.jpgIMG_2948.jpg

Edited by pbjman