IGNORED

Stupid Question

Guest Dragon Snoot

Guest Dragon Snoot

Ok here it is, I bought an '83 venture royale late last summer rode it a few times before I had to put it up for the winter. Now that summer is almost here again I decided to change all the fluids. My question is how do I know how much "final gear" oil to use? Read in here somewhere that in the toolkit (mine is long gone) there was a device for just this sorta thing. Like I stated mine is long long gone. So do I just fill it up or ........ Thanks in advance.

I am here holding my tool to measure the level and it measures 1 inch from the top of the housing to the level of the oil. If you take a small piece of wood and make a mark one inch from the bottom stick it down into the housing it should just touch the oil. Oil should be one inch from the plug opening. On my 86 it was changed and the plug is lower and you just fill it until it runs out but I still have the tool set that I had with my 83 Venture.

I am here holding my tool to measure the level and it measures 1 inch from the top of the housing to the level of the oil. If you take a small piece of wood and make a mark one inch from the bottom stick it down into the housing it should just touch the oil. Oil should be one inch from the plug opening. On my 86 it was changed and the plug is lower and you just fill it until it runs out but I still have the tool set that I had with my 83 Venture.

well, I was going to make a comment here but didn't want to step over the "PG" rating....

:rotf:

Ok here it is, I bought an '83 venture royale late last summer rode it a few times before I had to put it up for the winter. Now that summer is almost here again I decided to change all the fluids. My question is how do I know how much "final gear" oil to use? Read in here somewhere that in the toolkit (mine is long gone) there was a device for just this sorta thing. Like I stated mine is long long gone. So do I just fill it up or ........ Thanks in advance.

You can do a measured pour (300ML if I remember correctly), or fill it to the bottom of the threads on your filler opening. I say this level, because that is where the level was, after my measured pour on mine, last year.

:2cents:

Hey Dragon Snoot, If you send me a PM, I'll just mail you the stock tool designed for this purpose; used but so what. How's that?

Guest tessa c2

yes same here i like my synthetics, and since there is just gears in there, just a good heavey weight, the important thing is the frequency that you change it, if you just got the scooter, drain the old out, and look for metal fillings if you don't see anything it is good, leave it drain overnight and put new in in the morning and run it for a couple of weeks and drop it out again and check what is in there, and refill. it is only 3oo mls wich isn't much and it givies you a an idea what is happening in there, oil is cheep compared to a rear end:rotf: pete