IGNORED

Pretty sure I found my clutch problem!

Broncoboy36081

I can't believe a P.O. didn't know that the spring was like that when he buttoned it back up. It may not have been of his doing... Keep an eye on it...

Somebody was in it because it had a full friction disc in the back of the stack. Somebody didn't line up the marks on the pressure plate and clutch basket either. Who knows. Anyway friction discs need replacing anyway and spring too. Clutch plates looked good though.

Hey Chase,

Boy, that must have been a real shock when you removed the clutch cover! There are two issues that have caused the Clutch Diaphragm Spring to look like this. In combination, there is basically NO spring tension left on the Clutch Friction Discs, so the Clutch Diaphragm Spring gets slung out of the retaining ring.

Issue #1 is the Clutch Diaphragm Spring has lost it's "Spring Memory" because of heat and age. The spring height is not as tall as it used to be when it was new.

Issue #2 is the Clutch Friction Discs are worn to the point that they are too thin, and the "Stacked Height" of the Clutch Friction Discs and Steel Clutch Plates is not tall enough to be compressed by the Clutch Diaphragm Spring.

A new Spring AND Clutch Friction Discs will solve both issues nicely. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Chase,

Boy, that must have been a real shock when you removed the clutch cover! There are two issues that have caused the Clutch Diaphragm Spring to look like this. In combination, there is basically NO spring tension left on the Clutch Friction Discs, so the Clutch Diaphragm Spring gets slung out of the retaining ring.

Issue #1 is the Clutch Diaphragm Spring has lost it's "Spring Memory" because of heat and age. The spring height is not as tall as it used to be when it was new.

Issue #2 is the Clutch Friction Discs are worn to the point that they are too thin, and the "Stacked Height" of the Clutch Friction Discs and Steel Clutch Plates is not tall enough to be compressed by the Clutch Diaphragm Spring.

A new Spring AND Clutch Friction Discs will solve both issues nicely. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Sounds awesome Earl!! Thanks for the explanation. Sure am glad I got both from you!!!

I did my clutch at a Maintenance Day with Skydoc looking over my shoulder.

He told me to tighten the bolts by using a small ratchet wrench but don't hold the handle....hold the head of the ratchet under the palm of your hand.

That way you only use your wrist to tighten the bolts and can't really crank them down.

A little past snug is all it took.

That was on my 84...over 3 years ago now and it's still going strong.