IGNORED

The Good, the bad, and the worst!

I don't think there is anything really bad. A few minor issues which are mostly subjective. Some of the parts are expensive but so are some parts on most other motorcycles. If you can handle the weight this is a very good and reliable motorcycle. The biggest issue seems to be 'which color is fastest'? I know the answer but I am not telling.

Mike

Yeah heard bad things about the shocks. Any warning signs besides moisture? Handling issues?

The first sign is usually a small oil puddle beneath the bike if you see that the shock is about to go once it does go bad it gets pretty bouncy.

The bad:

Rear shock. Occasional fights with spouse over who you are spending more time with. Not enough time with either. Occasional relay switches bad. Cassette deck, but some people prefer them.:shock3::confused24: top heavy and can be challenging on gravel,as well as slow speed parking.

The good:

As Mike stated, yamaha mechanics are rarely seen, why? Motor is bulletproof along with the fine folks here can and have done just about anything and everything known to mankind and beyond about fixing, repairing and modifying. Chrome and accessories, smooth shifting. VR members on this site can and have been known to rescue a stranded rider, sight unseen. The many events where you get to learn about your bike, and meet great people. Decent on fuel for such a large bike. Can and will pull a small camper or carrier. Riders have been known to travel virtually coast to coast without any worries or concerns about breakdown. This includes, back roads, rural, small towns and deserts...

Enjoy:cool10:

I would say the 3 biggest things I have read about are

1: rear shock leaking and dying= replace with a Hagon aprox $470 See pics for what a bad one looks like.

2: Ignition switch contacts burn up from overloading= By-pass relay available

3: Fuel pump quits= Replace with a Mr Gasket 42s aprox $50 for pump, fittings etc.

Oil-on-ground-web.jpg

Leak-2-web.jpg

Edited by djh3