IGNORED

Stealership tried to kill me!

Broncoboy36081

Took my 99 Venture in for some new rubber. After waiting a week for them to put the tires on I picked her up today. Well I cranked her up and pulled off to head home. Immediately I heard a swishing sound coming from the front breaks. So at the first opportunity I pulled over to check everything out. Hit the front breaks and a God AWEFUL sound came from them. Guess what? They obviously pulled the caliper to spread the pads. Well somehow they managed to leave them loose so somewhere within the mile I traveled the pads fell off. Yay!!!!! Of course they didn't have any in stock. Angry isn't the word!:225:

A few years ago a dealership did a brake inspection on my front brakes and forgot to tighten the front caliper bolts. I discovered it after only a few miles. Lost the bottom bolt and reflector kept the top bolt from falling out completely. Not happy. No one but me has touched my bike since.

So glad it dint flip you and you stayed up right !

My friend wasn't so lucky years back crotch rocket front tire replaced shaft left loose wheel fell out forks dug in asphalt

Glad this dint happen to you ! Keep us up to date

A few years ago a dealership did a brake inspection on my front brakes and forgot to tighten the front caliper bolts. I discovered it after only a few miles. Lost the bottom bolt and reflector kept the top bolt from falling out completely. Not happy. No one but me has touched my bike since.

Needless to say they won't be touching this bike again either.

So glad it dint flip you and you stayed up right !

My friend wasn't so lucky years back crotch rocket front tire replaced shaft left loose wheel fell out forks dug in asphalt

Glad this dint happen to you ! Keep us up to date

Had a friend also that had the samething happen except on a dirt bike. They forgot to tighten the axle pinch bolts.

Took my 99 Venture in for some new rubber. After waiting a week for them to put the tires on I picked her up today. Well I cranked her up and pulled off to head home. Immediately I heard a swishing sound coming from the front breaks. So at the first opportunity I pulled over to check everything out. Hit the front breaks and a God AWEFUL sound came from them. Guess what? They obviously pulled the caliper to spread the pads. Well somehow they managed to leave them loose so somewhere within the mile I traveled the pads fell off. Yay!!!!! Of course they didn't have any in stock. Angry isn't the word!:225:

I want to know how the 'H' a pad can fall out of the caliper because they're loose since they're held in with a with one or two pins depending on the year... Now they might have messed with them and did compress the pistons to get the wheel back on, but within a few pumps of the lever they would have made contact again.

Thats been what I have seen. I have also made that mistake of not pumping the caliper back out. Scary as heck if you have to pump them bad boys when your not expecting it.

Edited by djh3

I would be asking the service manager what the hell else did the "F" up.

Where the hell is workmanship anymore? Pride in what you do and how you do it?

Ask him how he would like to have his life put in the hands of the tech that worked on your bike.

OH yes I know I am going off here but it pisses me off that there is no guarantee that things will get done right just cause you take it to a dealer. Aren't they supposed to be the experts? :soapbox:

:doh:

Back to my corner and bowl...... ya I know,

go lay down by my bowl! :whistling:

Bubber

from the dog house

I want to know how the 'H' a pad can fall out of the caliper because they're loose since they're held in with a with one or two pins depending on the year... Now they might have messed with them and did compress the pistons to get the wheel back on, but within a few pumps of the lever they would have made contact again.

Yeah that's what I was looking at in the service manual. I'm just beginning to think that for some reason he took them apart and didn't put them back on. I know I had all my pads and all was good before I took it in for tires and when it came out of the shop. Immediately screaching and swishing from the front brake. Stopped looked at the breaks and no pads except 1. Wierd I don't know how he could have missed that and also they kept the bike almost a week to put 2 tires on. That in itself was a little worriesome.

Years ago I had my 250 Can-Am at a dealership for some work. Because I could not ride due to a neck injury (Went over the handlebars of a bicycle when I hit a chain in the dark that was stretched across a pathway) a friend of mine picked it up for me. A week later when I could once again move my neck I decided to try it out. I rode about 40 feet when the front wheel locked up and I went over the handlebars, Great. I could not see anything wrong with it so I pulled the front wheel off and found a bolt floating around in the brake drum that did not even belong to the bike. Needless to say I was 1st thankful it did not lock up when my friend rode it home and 2nd I was at the dealer ship madder than a wet hen.

Took my 07 Venture back to the dealer shortly after getting to fix the ever present "click clack pop pop" noise when backing it up. Got the bike back and like you heard a strange noise and no rear brakes, stopped and found the rear caliper had not been bolted back up.

Right back , the service manager has know me for a long time and he knew something was wrong as soon as he saw my face, he looked at it, walked back found the mechanic, had him in tow when he came back, bike went behind the wall to get fixed and I never did see that mechanic at the dealship ever again.

I normally do all my own wrenching, but to be truthful, as the years go on , I have found myself making some silly mistakes, like not checking the tigthness on everthing I took off and put back on a second time before I take of on the shakedown cruise, never anything dangerous, but it sure is annoying,I have fired my self more than once for being forgetful.:whistling:

Want to know the real truth? (And yes we can break this down a hundred and one ways of why it happens, but the way I see it is. It all boils down to corporate greed.) The person who worked on your bike was most likely a mechanics helper or what they call a maintenance tech that has no training what so ever. I have spent a lot of years working to become a Ford Senior Master Technician and when you see those commercials on TV where Mike Rowe leads you to believe that a Master Tech will do the maintenance on your vehicle it really chaps my tail.

kickshot

Want to know the real truth? (And yes we can break this down a hundred and one ways of why it happens, but the way I see it is. It all boils down to corporate greed.) The person who worked on your bike was most likely a mechanics helper or what they call a maintenance tech that has no training what so ever. I have spent a lot of years working to become a Ford Senior Master Technician and when you see those commercials on TV where Mike Rowe leads you to believe that a Master Tech will do the maintenance on your vehicle it really chaps my tail.

kickshot

Ditto and to add to that the helper or Apprentice is usually required to complete the task in the same time frame as a Master tech even though he is paid half as much. The shift I run has 2 Master Techs and 6 Apprentices. Believe me I earn my keep without even picking up a wrench.:doh:

I would be asking the service manager what the hell else did the "F" up.

Where the hell is workmanship anymore? Pride in what you do and how you do it?

Ask him how he would like to have his life put in the hands of the tech that worked on your bike.

OH yes I know I am going off here but it pisses me off that there is no guarantee that things will get done right just cause you take it to a dealer. Aren't they supposed to be the experts?

I feel the same way. Nobody seems to care about doing things right anymore. I see it in all facets of life. Even my own son has some of this attitude. I don't know how someone I raised who has watched and helped me work on so many things can have a "that's good enough" attitude. It seems to be a generational thing. Everywhere you look this country is eroding. We seem to have lost something but I can't seem to put a finger on it's cause.