IGNORED

1989 front fender mascot color scheme

tz89

I lost my front fender mascot and have a replacement off of an ebay fender.

The background color of the V is red, but I think I read somewhere on here that the V background on my 89 maroon is black. Can someone check theirs, please, and advise. I'll paint if I must but want it to be right.

Here's a picture of my replacement. I've searched the web for a close up of original stock but apparently no one takes a picture of the nose.

Thanks

Tom

I lost my front fender mascot and have a replacement off of an ebay fender.

The background color of the V is red, but I think I read somewhere on here that the V background on my 89 maroon is black. Can someone check theirs, please, and advise. I'll paint if I must but want it to be right.

Here's a picture of my replacement. I've searched the web for a close up of original stock but apparently no one takes a picture of the nose.

Thanks

Tom

I've had both colors, but never paid too much attention as to what year etc.... I think if you paint it to match the maroon of the bike it would look cool....

I can't speak about the '89 maroon, but my '90 maroon had a black background on the mascot.

And my black '91 has a black background.

According to the microfiche, the '89 mascot is same part number (color) as the '90 and '91 (black).

The '86-'88 and the '92-'93 are the same (apparently red/maroon).

Or with a contrary opinion?

I prefer the clean look without that gaudy thing on the fender, so I took it off and threw it out as it serves no purpose....... but that's just my opinion:whistling:

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I hear ya. But I'm having a devil of a time getting that old tape off.

I've tried Goo Gone, Goof Off, Acetone, and WD40. The last bits are stubborn.

I have a 100% complete bike and work (and spend!) to keep it that way. Makes me happy to keep it accurate.

In that case, since you bought it new, and want to keep it that way, why don't you enlarge the pic in your gallery that shows the badge. You must have the original pic saved..... Shouldn't be that hard to figure out if it's red or black...... BTW: I enlarged this pic of an '89 and it looked kinda red to me....

http://www.cast-aways.com/vr91vs83.JPG